Telkom feeling the FTTH competition heat

Qrox

Expert Member
Now if some of these Fibre providers would be as kind as to bring it to my area, that would be great.
Most of the rollouts so far that I've heard of are in Jhb and Capetown. Some fibre in Pretoria would be great.

As far as I can see from Dark Firbre's site, there is a Fibre line just a street down from us, but its definitely for business use, or something like that.
Now if they could spread some love to residential customers, I would be so happy.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Crisis, I never really checked DFA's coverage map... its extensive, and they have a line literally 20m from my gate :(

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Over-the-top players such as Google are entering the fibre broadband space, the chief executive said, while WhatsApp has entered the voice calling space.

“We’re being attacked from all flanks,” Maseko said.
Shame, poor Telkom. Imagine where we'd be if the local loop was actually unbundled like it was supposed to be...

Skerminkel

Expert Member
... Maseko said that their fixed costs are much lower and they are much more agile.
That means you are not using the economies of scale correctly. Suck it up!

Now if some of these Fibre providers would be as kind as to bring it to my area, ...
Because it is illegal for you to lobby your neighbourhood to get together to put out a tender to install something?

furpile

Expert Member
Nobody is competing with Telkom because they are not doing anything. Telkom should have started fibre rollout years ago, but they were content to just get the maximum profit from their existing infrastructure. When small companies started fibre rollout they also didn't start a proper rollout plan, they tried to copy them and roll out fibre in the same area. Then they abandoned it in favour of LTE. So really, nobody is competing with Telkom.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Crisis, I never really checked DFA's coverage map... its extensive, and they have a line literally 20m from my gate :(
Same here. But that is exactly the problem - it is DARK fibre. I want it lighted/alive and providing me with internets.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Nobody is competing with Telkom because they are not doing anything. Telkom should have started fibre rollout years ago, but they were content to just get the maximum profit from their existing infrastructure. When small companies started fibre rollout they also didn't start a proper rollout plan, they tried to copy them and roll out fibre in the same area. Then they abandoned it in favour of LTE. So really, nobody is competing with Telkom.
That is going to bite them sooner or later.

Fixed wire (whether copper or fiber) still remains king.

furpile

Expert Member
That is going to bite them sooner or later.

Fixed wire (whether copper or fiber) still remains king.
Yep. There results for the last year again showed that fixed voice is declining rapidly. ADSL is growing slowly, but as fibre spreads this will also stop and start to decline. Then Telkom's fabled copper network that they don't want to let go of will be worthless. Except for copper thieves of course.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Yep. There results for the last year again showed that fixed voice is declining rapidly. ADSL is growing slowly, but as fibre spreads this will also stop and start to decline. Then Telkom's fabled copper network that they don't want to let go of will be worthless. Except for copper thieves of course.
Nah, will not happen.

Our beloved guavamint will step in and take steps to ensure telkom's survival.

MickeyD

RIP
Nah, will not happen.

Our beloved guavamint will step in and take steps to ensure telkom's survival.
Look at the numbers... most local FL telco's would give both their nuts for 10% of TKG's revenue. R7Bn in voice calls and R8Bn in line rental and R5.5Bn for data... So if the other FL operators are really hurting TKG let's see their financials.