Telkom launches Openserve

The article isn't quite clear. Is Openserve its new wholesale division? Would make more sense as they'd want to keep Telkom retail for consumer that are already familiar with the brand rather than switch names again.

So when can we expect others to get access to Telkom's wholesale facilities like landlines and exchanges?

They always had a Wholesale division.

It is now just going to be made into a separate company.

That is how I understand it

They always had a Wholesale division.

It is now just going to be made into a separate company.

That is how I understand it

Pretty much this..

I would assume (given the name) that its based off the OpenReach model used by BT.

Tries to show interest in fibre, only got option to select DSL ...
They need to work on their website.
You might get the option to select fibre if your area already have coverage.

Could it be a step in the direction of naked ADSL ?

*Hopes*
Hundreds of thousands of people can save R189 bucks per month. That would be at least a 240 million rand less in revenue per year.

If you look at line rental it's increased this year with more than inflation from R166 to R189 at more than 12%. Naked ADSL might be possible technically but financially Telkom is doing the opposite. If ICASA could take the lead in this it would be great but we all know how useless they are.

Hundreds of thousands of people can save R189 bucks per month. That would be at least a 240 million rand less in revenue per year.

If you look at line rental it's increased this year with more than inflation from R166 to R189 at more than 12%. Naked ADSL might be possible technically but financially Telkom is doing the opposite. If ICASA could take the lead in this it would be great but we all know how useless they are.

The line rental fee isn't really what I object to. It's the forced bundling of (unwanted) landline with ADSL. I am okay to pay a line rental fee if it's inclusive, because there is a cost to maintaining the line. I don't appreciate having to pay for a service that is literally used only when my wife wants to call her mother in law.

Tries to show interest in fibre, only got option to select DSL ...
They need to work on their website.
You might get the option to select fibre if your area already have coverage.

That's Telkom Retail...

If Telkom was managed properly when it was handed over in 1994 onwards...Breaking up the company wouldn't have been necessary.

If Telkom was managed properly when it was handed over in 1994 onwards...Breaking up the company wouldn't have been necessary.

I disagree. The wholesale / retail separation should have happened a long, long time ago.

Back