Telkom Local like a frog getting hit by a bus

afrodeity

This is really bad, half the pages I click on don't load. I get a lot of 404s and everything is taking a long time. I've called technical 3 or 4 times, logged faults but all I get is some stupid person telling me I'm capped. As far as I can tell, most of SA isn't local, the co.za domain isn't considered local, and even google.co.za is off limits. I am trapped like a frog in hot water, wondering how I can tunnel my way out of this irritating lock down, in which I am shaped down by some bloody packet limiter that is run by a moron who thinks we should all go back to 1991. My 36.00 modem was about this slow, and all I am getting is what appear to be a 100 Mbps connection (to what) that is unresponsive at best.

I have taken the "speed" test listed at Telkomsa.net and appear to have a 32Kbps line, which the operator assures me is normal. This is not good. I signed up for R199 for a 384Kbps line that should at least be responsive on local bandwidth. I am having to use the online webmail programme to read my mail because Telkom is having "mail verification" problems and I have reset my password once already. Is there something I am missing here?

fragtion

Expert Member
Install Netmeter and monitor your bandwidth speed. Are you using a TelkomInternet/SAIX based account? They work best for local traffic.
You should be getting ~32KB/s on local traffic/downloads. Check the stability etc. What is your modem syncin at, and what are its sync stats?

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
This is really bad, half the pages I click on don't load. I get a lot of 404s and everything is taking a long time. I've called technical 3 or 4 times, logged faults but all I get is some stupid person telling me I'm capped. As far as I can tell, most of SA isn't local, the co.za domain isn't considered local, and even google.co.za is off limits. I am trapped like a frog in hot water, wondering how I can tunnel my way out of this irritating lock down, in which I am shaped down by some bloody packet limiter that is run by a moron who thinks we should all go back to 1991. My 36.00 modem was about this slow, and all I am getting is what appear to be a 100 Mbps connection (to what) that is unresponsive at best.

I have taken the "speed" test listed at Telkomsa.net and appear to have a 32Kbps line, which the operator assures me is normal. This is not good. I signed up for R199 for a 384Kbps line that should at least be responsive on local bandwidth. I am having to use the online webmail programme to read my mail because Telkom is having "mail verification" problems and I have reset my password once already. Is there something I am missing here?

You basic confusion is between kilobits and kilobytes. Your line speed is given as 384 kilobits (kbps), and the speed test is reported as 32 kilobytes (KB/a).

The domain suffix co.za is no guarantee that a site is hosted locally. There is a good thread here

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=102451

that discusses all local goodies. Personally, I couldn't be without cheap/free local bandwidth, it is a rare blessing in our overpriced bandwidth market.

Th3NaRRoW

1Kilobyte = 8 Kilobits
so divide your line speed by 8 to get your maximum download speed.

Also your line will hardly ever download at your max speed. It will usually be a little less.