• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Telkom LTE Router speeds

I need some info or an explanation on telkom speeds on the lte router. On speedtest.net i am getting speeds up to 25mb per second. When I download or upload from any server I do not get close to what speedtest.net is showing. On download i get maybe 2mb per second and upload 700 kbs.

Please Advice

Azimuth

Expert Member
Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. If I can only download at 3mb/s what is the use for having a device that can download at 25mbs. Why not get something that can only download at 3mb/s. If this is the case then why did telkom not inform me of this. Now i am paying R1500 a month, but if i took something smaller that can only do 3mb/s I would save a lot of money.

To expand on razer1980's answer.

It depends on the upload speed of where you're downloading from. For SpeedTest, it also depends which server you're connected to but it's probably the local telkom speed test server.

Factor in server upload speed, latency, peering etc when you consider download speed.

edit: Also, are the speeds you mention megabits or megabytes per sec? SpeedTest gives results in megabits and 1 byte = 8 bits so 2 megbytes/s = 16 megabits per sec - usually denoted MB vs mb.

Last edited:
Hi please have a look attached image link
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3381102612.png
Can I reach this download speed in South Africa, and if so please share a link so that I can download something and do a test for myself.
If not I am wasting my money on something I do not need.
Does Telkom advertise this product in megbytes or megabits

Please check link
http://www.telkommobile.co.za/services/lte/
you can expect up to 90mbps download speed and up to 25mbps upload
is this in bytes or bits

Last edited:

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Hi please have a look attached image link
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3381102612.png
Can I reach this download speed in South Africa, and if so please share a link so that I can download something and do a test for myself.
If not I am wasting my money on something I do not need.
Does Telkom advertise this product in megbytes or megabits

Please check link
http://www.telkommobile.co.za/services/lte/
you can expect up to 90mbps download speed and up to 25mbps upload
is this in bytes or bits
Try and start a download from mirror.ac.za just start any linux distro which you can cancel after a few seconds.
Tons of bandwidth on that server so you would know for sure.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
What is the exact speed you are seeing when you download?
A 3mb connection will give you around 300kb/s etc.
Im just checking that you arent thinking that a 25mb connection will give you 25mb/s on download because it wont.
It is normally the amount divided by 8 but more realistically by 10.

are all speeds measured in Mb/s for 3g, lte, and adsl in south africa. So if someone said hes got a 4meg line its actually a 32 Mb/s line.

Last edited:

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
are all speeds measured in Mb/s for 3g, lte, and adsl in south africa. So if someone said hes got a 4meg line its actually a 32 Mb/s line.
No if someone has a 4mb line then it means they can download at around 400-450kbps.
Realistic speed = line speed divided by 10.

RichardG

Honorary Master
OP, not sure if you're a windows user but if you are please download the following app TCP optimizer , experienced the same issue as you for about a week and after searching the net came across TCP optimizer.. Sorted out everything on my windows PC after that downloads were coming in at speed of 10 mbs.

Also another recommendation would be to try a well seeded torrent.

Here is the linux infomation TCP tweaking.

Last edited: