Telkom now roaming on Vodacom...

cobusv

same here, they were probably just testing it, wonder went it will go live for good?

t_girl

My twitter app was not working and I couldn't figure out why. I was still receiving emails though so I thought maybe twitter was down. But then I noticed the TelkomSA-R and googled it. After manually switching from TelkomSA-R to TelkomSA I have 3G connection again. Not sure why it switched to TelkomSA-R in the first place...

Reactions: Yuu

3Gee

Expert Member
Seems like the Telkom R rollout is progressing, but at a very slow pace. I've personality had no issues roaming on Vodacom in CPT.
Most urban areas has Telkom R cover

Rejodasi.

Have had the TelkomSA-R show up last week while using 3G, keep dropping calls on it though... when I force it to TelkomSA it reverts back to TelkomSA-R (on 3G). LTE seems to be just TelkomSA. Thinking of roaming on MTN while on 3G since I keep dropping calls on the "vodacom" network.

Other devices I've tested my sim in on 3G stay on TelkomSA.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
65505 finally showed up for me in the Cape Town CBD. I'm going to try out Vodacom roaming and see how it goes.

I previously stuck to MTN roaming as Telkom's signal wasn't available everywhere.

cavedog

Honorary Master
65505 finally showed up for me in the Cape Town CBD. I'm going to try out Vodacom roaming and see how it goes.

I previously stuck to MTN roaming as Telkom's signal wasn't available everywhere.
IF you try and force 65505 then the phone will likely just go No Service when you move around. From what I saw it's better to just leave it on auto.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
IF you try and force 65505 then the phone will likely just go No Service when you move around. From what I saw it's better to just leave it on auto.
Mine seems to work on 65505. My phone's display has changed the network from Telkom R to Telkom, but I think that it's more to do with the tower name.

Rejodasi.

router seems to keep the 65505 network, phone seems to prefer it over the regular TelkomSA network probably because of the new Vodacom tower they've installed in the area. still drops calls though so MTN roaming it is.

3Gee

Expert Member
It stays on Telkom R. No issues in CPT. It will rarely switch to Telkom

cavedog

Honorary Master
It stays on Telkom R. No issues in CPT. It will rarely switch to Telkom
If I may ask what device? I don't think Telkom wants it like that and on Samsung the network names show exactly the same so I think when they have it running like they want it won't show 65505.

Pho3nix

The Legend
MTN still significantly better signal wise.
Get more bars on TelkomSA-R over Telkom though.

Gonna stay on MTN for the moment though

3Gee

Expert Member
If I may ask what device? I don't think Telkom wants it like that and on Samsung the network names show exactly the same so I think when they have it running like they want it won't show 65505.
Iphone XS

cavedog

Honorary Master
On Huawei the roaming just shows as TelkomSA for both home network and roaming.....

Screenshot_20190614_200647_com.android.phone.jpg

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Well, last time I was here in Feb I had 1 bar, no MTN signal, friend on Vodacom had full.

Now I have 4G and depending on my position I also have carrier aggregation (4G+).

The new roaming agreement seems to only benefit me, lol.

3Gee

Expert Member
Definitely no LTE roaming. Network switches from TELKOMSA R to TELKOMSA when selecting LTE while roaming on TELKOMSA R