Telkom SIM activation

rpm

Admin
Staff member
We bought a Telkom SIM at around 11:00, and it is still not active at 16:30.

Is this normal? How long can one expect to wait for an activation?

cavedog

Honorary Master

Prepaid or Contract?

If prepaid there are 2 types of activation that Telkom do.

*Rica activation where they use their rica system to rica the simcard and then activation will be immediate
*Activation by order. They place a order to activate the simcard with your details which billing then finally activates. This method takes time to complete and the sim will only become active if the order has completed. This method is used if RICA is down or if you have exceeded 10 Telkom simcard ricas from the launch of 8ta to date.

Dan C

Honorary Master
IDS - never

No one can tell me how to activate it. Been in store and hours on the phone.
I've been billed double for non existing service.

As for normal prepaid SIM, it should be immediate when RICA'd

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
I used to see 2 hours average before. But these days it's instant.

Riaan_26

Having the same problem. I take it the only option is to go into a Telkom store?

garyc

Expert Member
Got a prepaid SIM from a Telkom store the other day and it was active by the time I got home about an hour later.

I am sure you know that you need to go *180# after the SIM is active on the network in order to activate the data functionality.

RedhotNeo

Expert Member
Telkom systems are terrible. My mother took out a contract and the SIM was never activated. Had to go back the next day and get a new SIM and that was activated 30 minutes later..

Shandré Fortuin

I also have question regarding to this data sim I got when I baught a new phn.. I'm new to this network so I Dnt knw alot bout it. Normally your sim must be rica'd..I will appreciate it if someone can help me on this pls...

The normal card is working while the other one won't. They did Rica' both activated it also not sure. Plzzzz help

Pieter Spangenberg

Good day, i have bought a sim and rica it. This is now the 2nd sim from telkom in one day that shows sim registration failed. What must still be done to get a line from Telkom

Makubumokgawa

I have bought a hauwei router, called to have it activated on Wednesday. Till today it's not working. Can I get help with this

marioat1

Expert Member
I have bought a hauwei router, called to have it activated on Wednesday. Till today it's not working. Can I get help with this
You noticed the telkom system failure? Best contact them today and check the progress of you're request

Wall

Sports Addict
Their systems is farked - I'm waiting on 2 multisim activations since yesterday 5pm.

Call in and they say " up to 24 hours" bullshit.

I just know come today 5pm - the numbers will not be active :mad:

marioat1

Expert Member
Their systems is farked - I'm waiting on 2 multisim activations since yesterday 5pm.

Call in and they say " up to 24 hours" bullshit.

I just know come today 5pm - the numbers will not be active :mad:
24 hours, as in 24 working hours then you're a bit early expecting a 5pm response

Filosofer

So I just received delivery of an vox LTE router and Telkom sim card. It says up to 24hrs wait for activation. Does the set up need to be switched on for activation or can I just switch on everything after 24hrs?

cavedog

Honorary Master
So I just received delivery of an vox LTE router and Telkom sim card. It says up to 24hrs wait for activation. Does the set up need to be switched on for activation or can I just switch on everything after 24hrs?
I don't it matters but it's going to take a day or 2 for activation. Telkom activations take some time.

grootgeel

A day or 2..... I don't think so. I went to The Telkom store at The Bridge in Port Elizabeth last week Saturday to get a sim card that was part of a fibre deal. The consultant told me it would take 2 days to activate, but it's Friday now and it's still not activated. Best part is that if you phone support, the recorded voice ask you for the phone number of the sim that you have a problem with. How can you give a phone number if you have not received one yet. To speak to a human is simply impossible.