Telkom VDSL - 20Mbps/40Mbps Trial

Clearly you missed the part where people do speedtests on 40mbit vdsl lines, and only get 12Mbps, and then go wtf. Then once you suggest to them to use a physical cable their speedtest goes up to 40mbit/sec.

Wireless is not bad for mobile devices, and it has it's place in each home, but if you have a 40Mbps line, and you actually want the speed, then wireless with half duplex connectivity and multiple devices sharing the same wireless frequency just won't cut it.
Wires still have their place, because no wireless device in any home will actually max out 40Mbps adsl lines, even though I know you get APs rated at 150 to 300Mbps, it just isn't the case in the real world.

Eh? Sucks to skimp on WiFi gear and then expect decent speeds. I get over 100mbps on 3 stream (AP and Laptop supports 3 streams) 802.11n 5GHz in most parts of my house. Even the 2.4GHz for the furthest point delivers over 80mbps for me.
 
Eh? Sucks to skimp on WiFi gear and then expect decent speeds. I get over 100mbps on 3 stream (AP and Laptop supports 3 streams) 802.11n 5GHz in most parts of my house. Even the 2.4GHz for the furthest point delivers over 80mbps for me.
ROFL. Assumptions are the mother of all...
 
Sucks to live in a house where every room is a faraday cage then? I am pointing out the error in your "no wireless device will max out 40mbps ADSL blah blah" statement. WiFi is generally **** due to jitter, not throughput.
 
Strange said:
Sucks to live in a house where every room is a faraday cage then? I am pointing out the error in your "no wireless device will max out 40mbps ADSL blah blah" statement. WiFi is generally **** due to jitter and throughput.
Uhu.
 
I like disbelievers :)

Well, I think in most cases the people that will be on MSANs, will probably get much better quality, because the MSANs will be much closer to them than most DSLAMs are currently.

10Mbps is hardly mythical, I have 10Mbps at home myself. Also had it at the previous place I was renting.

I like people who don't read properly and jump to conclusions :)

I also like people who think that because they have an almost 10mbps ADSL line, the rest of the ADSL user base can STFU about the fact that only a very tiny minority has a line faster than 3 mbps :)

I also like people who seem to ignore the fact that maybe 100 people in SA are trialling a 20/40mbps line, and that rolling out MSAN's to thousands of exchanges is going to take years and years and years :)
 
I like people who don't read properly and jump to conclusions :)

I also like people who think that because they have an almost 10mbps ADSL line, the rest of the ADSL user base can STFU about the fact that only a very tiny minority has a line faster than 3 mbps :)

I also like people who seem to ignore the fact that maybe 100 people in SA are trialling a 20/40mbps line, and that rolling out MSAN's to thousands of exchanges is going to take years and years and years :)


Thanks for proving my point.

Being that negative....
 
Last edited:
Sigh. What do you want, 40Gbps? I guess ethernet is also ****. Just use Infiniband.
How is 100mbps insufficient for a 40mbps ADSL link?
 
Last edited:
Thanks for proving my point.

Being that realistic....

Nothing but the truth boet.

Until Telkom prove they can roll something out in a decent timeline, there is no reason to believe they can operate efficiently on a project of this magnitude.

You were saying something about assumptions ?
 
Nothing but the truth boet.

Until Telkom prove they can roll something out in a decent timeline, there is no reason to believe they can operate efficiently on a project of this magnitude.

You were saying something about assumptions ?

At least you are sarcastic, I will give you that.

In all honesty, 10mbit/sec users may be the minority, but not as small a group as you try to make it out to be. First all, how many users are on 10mbit capable lines and dslams, but instead opt for a slower package because that is all their budgets allow them. There are more to the statistics than what you give it credit.

Now sure, I am 1 person on a 10Mbps line, had it in 2 different locations, but I also know others on 10Mbps lines, as well as having multiple of them at our office here in Cape Town, that is not even including the multiple 10Mbps lines we had at our previous office in Cape Town before moving.

They probably exist more in the CBDs of the 4 major cities, but they surely exist, in greater numbers than you would expect.

Keep in mind, Telkom will first roll it out where it makes financial sense to them, and the older equipment probably gets re-used in further remote locations where there is far less money for them as a company. I know that is what I would do if I had to make the choices.
 
At least you are sarcastic, I will give you that.

In all honesty, 10mbit/sec users may be the minority, but not as small a group as you try to make it out to be. First all, how many users are on 10mbit capable lines and dslams, but instead opt for a slower package because that is all their budgets allow them. There are more to the statistics than what you give it credit.

Now sure, I am 1 person on a 10Mbps line, had it in 2 different locations, but I also know others on 10Mbps lines, as well as having multiple of them at our office here in Cape Town, that is not even including the multiple 10Mbps lines we had at our previous office in Cape Town before moving.

They probably exist more in the CBDs of the 4 major cities, but they surely exist, in greater numbers than you would expect.

Keep in mind, Telkom will first roll it out where it makes financial sense to them, and the older equipment probably gets re-used in further remote locations where there is far less money for them as a company. I know that is what I would do if I had to make the choices.

The 10mbps rollout was a botched job. Currently there is literally nothing that leads me to think that Telkom will complete the MSAN rollout in a reasonable period of time. Actually nevermind complete, let's say : have 1 or more MSAN in about 60 - 70% of exchanges.

If broadband could run over empty promises and hype, Telkom would have the most advanced and robust network in the world.

I would be absolutely astonished if they actually made their rollout schedule publicly available, and that would actually make me give them huge benefit of the doubt. Is that too much to ask ?
 
The 10mbps rollout was a botched job. Currently there is literally nothing that leads me to think that Telkom will complete the MSAN rollout in a reasonable period of time. Actually nevermind complete, let's say : have 1 or more MSAN in about 60 - 70% of exchanges.

If broadband could run over empty promises and hype, Telkom would have the most advanced and robust network in the world.

I would be absolutely astonished if they actually made their rollout schedule publicly available, and that would actually make me give them huge benefit of the doubt. Is that too much to ask ?
Define "reasonable period of time".
 
The 10mbps rollout was a botched job. Currently there is literally nothing that leads me to think that Telkom will complete the MSAN rollout in a reasonable period of time. Actually nevermind complete, let's say : have 1 or more MSAN in about 60 - 70% of exchanges.

If broadband could run over empty promises and hype, Telkom would have the most advanced and robust network in the world.

I would be absolutely astonished if they actually made their rollout schedule publicly available, and that would actually make me give them huge benefit of the doubt. Is that too much to ask ?

Aleast one thing I can agree on, would love to have the roll-out schedule publicly available, even if only via an API.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X