Teraco, Hetzner Cape Town DC unaffected by fire

Park@82

Honorary Master
All my Hetzner sites are down currently.
Mine are up.

Got the following at 10:31

This is to notify you that an electrical fire has broken out in the Great Westerford building (Newlands, Cape Town) where Hetzner has its Data Centres.

The fire is on the 3rd Floor with the fire brigade in attendance with multiple vehicles on site and busy extinguishing the fire. Hetzner's Data Centres are located in the basement of the building and as yet remain unaffected by the fire.

We are closely monitoring the situation with contingency plans in place should the fire continue unabated.

We will post regular updates via our Network Notices, which can be found here: @HetznerNotices (Twitter) or notices.hetzner.co.za.

Your Hetzner team

Kelerei

Expert Member
What's I've found interesting is how the companies hosting in Great Westerford have been dealing with the issue.

I have both Hetzner and Web Africa servers in that building (indeed, Web Africa's critical infrastructure is based in there). Hetzner gave me a call, letting me know about the fire and that while everything was contained and unaffected, I should verify the integrity of my backups and be prepared to activate disaster recovery plans in the event of the data centre being burnt down or flooded out (the latter being a significant risk). On the other hand, the silence from Web Africa has been deafening. It's not too difficult for me to infer which company actually cares about their clients and which company only cares about their bottom line.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Africa’s only vendor neutral data centre, Teraco, says that its Cape Town Data Centre is currently running on generator power as a result of a fire in the Great Westerford Building in Rondebosch, Cape Town.

Lex van Wyk, CEO, Teraco says that the building has been evacuated and the fire department is in the in process of establishing the extent of the damage and the cause of the fire: “We are monitoring the environment from our Johannesburg and Durban sites and doing all we can to maintain uptime. Teraco’s most critical responsibility to clients is keeping their infrastructure functioning, despite disruptions.”

Van Wyk says that Teraco data centres utilise high-capacity, resilient generators that guarantee power availability even during metro-wide power outages. Together with substantial on-site diesel stockpiles and short-notice diesel refuelling contracts with multiple vendors at each data centre location, the electricity backup capabilities are extensive.

The fire occurred on the roof of the three-story building, while Teraco’s operations are located on the ground floor and in the basement. Due to the efficient work of the Cape Town fire department the damage seems to have been contained to the third floor and the roof. Van Wyk would like to thank the Cape Town fire department and the Great Westerford staff for their support during this testing time.

Access to the building will be granted once the extent of the damage has been established and the site is deemed safe.

Teraco will continue to communicate with its clients and wish to thank them for their support and concern shown.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
This is an update to let you know that the fire at the Great Westerford building (Newlands, Cape Town) was extinguished by the fire department at 10h50 today, Thursday, 5 March 2015.

Hetzner's services remain unaffected and continue to run as per normal.

For a historical record of events, please visit our Network Notices, which can be found here: @HetznerNotices (Twitter) or notices.hetzner.co.za.