The AirTies thread

adielk

Expert Member
You can't use triple pack airties as additional airties.

They have to be reset as single airties but then you can't use them in future as a a triple pack.

Hmm. If you use both triple packs, they compete for bandwidth.

Above according to Nology.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Hmm. If you use both triple packs, they compete for bandwidth.

Above according to Nology.
Makes sense .

Triple packs are pre-paired at the factory, so they'll 'look' for their buddies that were packed with them.

If you have 2 x triple packs, each is going to only look for the buddy units that they came with - so it won't mesh

MEIOT

Expert Member
Makes sense .

Triple packs are pre-paired at the factory, so they'll 'look' for their buddies that were packed with them.

If you have 2 x triple packs, each is going to only look for the buddy units that they came with - so it won't mesh
I'm not entirely sure this is accurate. I have a 3 pack plus an additional unit and all 4 mesh perfectly.

Dolby

Honorary Master
I'm not entirely sure this is accurate. I have a 3 pack plus an additional unit and all 4 mesh perfectly.
That's because you used a single unit ... they're not prepared from the factory, and they're not looking for any buddies. They're ready to mesh to an existing triple pack from the start.

My comment was 2 x triple packs

MEIOT

Expert Member
That's because you used a single unit ... they're not prepared from the factory, and they're not looking for any buddies. They're ready to mesh to an existing triple pack from the start.

My comment was 2 x triple packs
Actually the 4th lone unit was salvaged from a damaged triple pack

Dolby

Honorary Master
Makes sense .

Actually the 4th lone unit was salvaged from a damaged triple pack
Sorry let me clarify :

By default, they're going to look for their buddies.

So if you purchase 2 x triple packs, open the boxes and plug in - you're going to cause issues. Each triple pack won't know about the other

Yes can WPS them to your existing mesh though

Dolby

Honorary Master
A single airtie for R1 600! Are they mad!
It may have something to do with the 25% increase in exchange in less than 3 months :( Expect most electronics to go that way ...

It could also be it's the newer version 4930?
Who is charging the R1.6k?

adielk

Expert Member
It may have something to do with the 25% increase in exchange in less than 3 months :( Expect most electronics to go that way ...

It could also be it's the newer version 4930?
Who is charging the R1.6k?
Some techno.co.za but they were refered to me by nology.

I'll look for 2nd hand

adielk

Expert Member
Can get another triple pack but only after lockdown. Will then ask Nology to split it into singles.

So if anybody interested.

RaRa22

Hi. I am quite new to the thread after researching what these airties are. My basic understanding is that its kind of a wifi extender? Am I correct in saying that?

rorz0r

Executive Member
Hi. I am quite new to the thread after researching what these airties are. My basic understanding is that its kind of a wifi extender? Am I correct in saying that?
No, WiFi extenders basically repeat a signal. These are mesh units so there's a "backbone" connection between the units that functions like a cable connection, and then each unit functions as an access point.
I'n addition to that they can also detect when your device is better served by a different unit (eg you walk around your house) and transparently switch over.

RaRa22

Oooh ohkay I think I understand. So it would be pointless if you only have one of these airties? You need to have three to setup a almost like a mini network in your house?
No, WiFi extenders basically repeat a signal. These are mesh units so there's a "backbone" connection between the units that functions like a cable connection, and then each unit functions as an access point.
I'n addition to that they can also detect when your device is better served by a different unit (eg you walk around your house) and transparently switch over.

jouda

Expert Member
Oooh ohkay I think I understand. So it would be pointless if you only have one of these airties? You need to have three to setup a almost like a mini network in your house?
Correct. I have 3 and they replaced my wifi router and extender.