The AirTies thread

Luke7777

Executive Member
#showoff.... hahahaha

Thats an impressive setup. 24 batteries? that should keep your whole house up and running for what...6hrs?
Longer...haven't tested them to the max, but runs everything excluding stove, geyser, swimming pool. In there for more than 4 years now. Place looks like a lighthouse during shedding. All my electronic stuff also lasts a lot longer :)

adielk

Expert Member
Thats odd - how hot are the areas where the nodes are located? I also find they get super hot but mine are in a reas with free flowing cooler air - never had them shutdown before though
Areas are actually clear and not too hot

Hopefully Vox helps troubleshoot it.

adielk

Expert Member
Reset my telkom fibre internet.

So far so good. Initially lost connection but also plugged main airties straight into router.

So far so good.

powermzii

Expert Member
What speed fibre do you have? are you able to get close to line speeds on WIFI?

adielk

Expert Member
What speed fibre do you have? are you able to get close to line speeds on WIFI?
10mbps fibre so yep its close to it at 8 - 9 mbps download.

Want to upgrade but waiting for a good deal. Currently getting R500 plus discount on my line so paying less than R800 pm for landline 10mbps internet and unlimited. Plus free calls and 2gb sim card.

powermzii

Expert Member
10mbps fibre so yep its close to it at 8 - 9 mbps download.

Want to upgrade but waiting for a good deal. Currently getting R500 plus discount on my line so paying less than R800 pm for landline 10mbps internet and unlimited. Plus free calls and 2gb sim card.
Ah nice - we are only getting fibre installed now and hpoing to get 100Mbps. No desire to upgrade the WiFi kit yet as long as it can handle the speeds

adielk

Expert Member
Have LTE which is running fine averaging 25 to 30mbps.

Used to be faster but still ok for R599 "uncapped"

adielk

Expert Member
Found them @
https://www.vox.co.za/wifi/airties/

But it seems they are all out of stock.

I bought my set from http://www.webantics.com/ but the site just gets redirected to Afrihost. When package was delivered it was from Nology https://nology.co.za/products/networking/home-wi-fi

Maybe give them a call and find out where their re-sellers are. Find a 3rd person in Pta east and we buy a 3 pack to split.
Might be able to get an airtie this weekend.

Price willing to pay for 1? Havent followed up yet with Nology or Nova cloud.

adielk

Expert Member
Did you end up getting another unit? If so how much did you pay?
Nope seller stated sealed when I asked how I would test airties. Apparently never been asked this question. What a load of bull.

Dodgy story. No response when I asked how it was sealed. The plastic? which I could do with a machine myself.

powermzii

Expert Member

mtlost

Anybody using the Airties DHCP server instead of their router's DHCP server? Anyone experiencing issues of different subnets after loadshedding?

Because the Airties takes it's time to reconnect and get a stable network after loadshedding, some devices get's assigned IPs on completely different subnets. This is an annoying issue (smart globes and plugs for example that has to be reset). I have a Zyxel router (limited options) that currenlty serves the IPs. Do I move to the Airties, whack the xyxel to do better or move to a rapserry pi with some DHCP server software?

powermzii

Expert Member
Anybody using the Airties DHCP server instead of their router's DHCP server? Anyone experiencing issues of different subnets after loadshedding?

Because the Airties takes it's time to reconnect and get a stable network after loadshedding, some devices get's assigned IPs on completely different subnets. This is an annoying issue (smart globes and plugs for example that has to be reset). I have a Zyxel router (limited options) that currenlty serves the IPs. Do I move to the Airties, whack the xyxel to do better or move to a rapserry pi with some DHCP server software?
Have always used an external DHCP (first Huawei router and now Mikrotik Router). It IS frustrating how long they take to come up and provide WiFi - while they are decent and seem to just work - i might look to upgrade to something with a bit more functionality. Haven't been able to get the ethernet backhaul working (through a switch)

MEIOT

Expert Member
Have always used an external DHCP (first Huawei router and now Mikrotik Router). It IS frustrating how long they take to come up and provide WiFi - while they are decent and seem to just work - i might look to upgrade to something with a bit more functionality. Haven't been able to get the ethernet backhaul working (through a switch)
Let me know if you decide to sell your airties - I'm looking to expand mine

adielk

Expert Member

Bought a router UPS

Check this out on takealot: UPS Multi-Output 5V & 12V Battery Power Bank for WiFi Routers

Also thinking of an inverter 500W

Check this out on takealot: Smart Power Trolley 800VA (500W) Pure Sine Inverter/UPS/Charger - Including 100Ah Gel Battery

Just worried what can be run on it:

65" tv takes 185W alone. So kids consoles and pc might be too much.

And inverter would mean cameras have to wait

adielk

Expert Member
Would consider buying it.