The Audi Thread

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
Although I also don't particularly want a manual anymore, even if traffic wasn't the main concern. I'd just much rather have a DSG/S-tronic vehicle.

I'd like to see some documentation of failure rates and indie mechanic repairs to said units and costs therein, before embarking in that territory.

I love my manual and do not want anything else. I am in control, more so than DSG.

Naks

Executive Member
I'd like to see some documentation of failure rates and indie mechanic repairs to said units and costs therein, before embarking in that territory.

I love my manual and do not want anything else. I am in control, more so than DSG.

most people's mantra. until they drive a DSG and then they never go back to manual :p

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
most people's mantra. until they drive a DSG and then they never go back to manual :p

So they say. I agree, it's fantastic for those wanting performance as well as automatic.

But their/your and my driving styles probably still differ significantly. :p I am a little Mike Smit crazy. I just do not trust DSG going into a corner, the way I trust manual. I control the car, I feel the car.

I'm also barely ever in traffic.

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
Silly question, the okes with DSG, how do you use the paddles when taking a corner? Since their orientation is tied to the position of the steering wheel... No, I havent asked Google :eek:

Debeer165

Expert Member
Silly question, the okes with DSG, how do you use the paddles when taking a corner? Since their orientation is tied to the position of the steering wheel... No, I havent asked Google :eek:

You.... hold the steering wheel correctly for taking corners at speed?

PostmanPot

Honorary Master

I would imagine they move with the steering wheel. Or if not, that one changes down before going into the corner?

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
OK, seems to be a common question, so i will try it this way :)
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-72487.html
TOE_FAST 12-15-2008, 03:44 PM

I know what he is talking about, its because of city streets and sharper corners - you are trying to hold RPM'S through the corner and at the same time you are turning the wheel and the paddle gets upside down when you want to shift and get into some more traction / less power.

I try to shift just before i start turning the wheel if i know im in a low gear and revs will climb quickly around the corner - luckily our car has a great amount of torque and even though rpm's are lower and were in a higher gear around the corner there is enough torque to get us into the following straightaway.

If im racing someone ( around corners ) Im always in Sport mode with the paddles - IMO its the best race mode for our car, I honestly think the tip is slower.

just practice - try shifting just before turning the wheel and shifting again on the exit. works for me

Debeer165

Expert Member
No, sorry screw that jazz and forget about that 10 and 2 or whatever else position you were taught.

When you are going to be doing spirited driving, especially cornering at speed, you should be holding the steering wheel at 9 and 3, with your thumbs over the spokes. This puts your hands right in front of the paddles constantly no matter how you turn the wheel, and it is designed to be like that. This position also gives your arms the largest possible turning radius without having to release the steering wheel (180 degrees both ways). The paddles were placed where one "should" have their hands when driving, not at a random place.

Taking low speed turns obviously one needs more than the 180 degrees, and then you move your hands around. But if you need to make such a sharp turn at high speeds you are either drifting, or you already messed up... badly.
Also a bigger issue with manual cars as you literally can't have your hands on that position constantly, so one has to move around a bit more. But an auto (especially one with paddles) negates that issue to a large degree.

DominionZA

Executive Member
I don't use the paddles really. Car seems to suit my style perfectly. Perhaps I am just too old to be bothered

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
These Allroads intrigue me. 2.7 T mmm.

http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bak...ow-mileage-93-000km/1001260401500910001088909

$_20.JPG

Dolby

Honorary Master

Manual is more exciting to drive and you do have better control. I would outlaunch S Tronics / DSG every single time ... That initial lag is irritating. Downshifts aren't accurate either and around a track, the manual constantly comes out a corner faster. Manual mode is a joke too.

That said, for various reasons I'd take dual clutch over manual any day.

Naks

Executive Member
I would imagine they move with the steering wheel. Or if not, that one changes down before going into the corner?

errr... you want to change gears while cornering!? :wtf:

No man, you brake in a straight line before the corner, downshift, and power through the corner, controlling the steer with the steering wheel & throttle.

Unless you're talking about a sweeping bend hundreds of metres long, in which case the steering input is minimal enough that the paddles are always within reach. Granted on the Audi they are fixed, which is not ideal, but IIRC the only cars which has them moving with the steering wheel are the Ferraris/Lambos.

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
errr... you want to change gears while cornering!? :wtf:

Did not mean to imply that. What I meant was, was that I imagined the paddles would not be fixed. Or if they were fixed, that one would obviously shift down before the corner (as per normal, like your explanation).

In a dangerous situation while cornering, I imagine that, while in manual, easy access to paddles could be of importance.

Unless you're talking about a sweeping bend hundreds of metres long, in which case the steering input is minimal enough that the paddles are always within reach. Granted on the Audi they are fixed, which is not ideal, but IIRC the only cars which has them moving with the steering wheel are the Ferraris/Lambos.

I know what you mean. I have Servotronic steering, tightens nicely when cornering/at higher speed.

Last edited:

Naks

Executive Member
Ah, right, gotcha.

Yes, the paddles are fixed in the Audis, unfortunately so.

I see on the latest Lambo, that the paddles move with the steering wheel, but they have had to do away with the indicator & wiper levers - all buttons on the steering wheel now.

Quite right about the unexpected dog/sheep/cyclist in the road in the middle of a corner, but with the TDis, there's (almost) always enough torque to get you out of trouble.

My daily commute is in a Defender or sometimes in SWAMBO's A3. I prefer the Defender, but that's because no taxi will mess with a landy + chicks dig the landy ;)

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
Ah, right, gotcha.

Yes, the paddles are fixed in the Audis, unfortunately so.

I see on the latest Lambo, that the paddles move with the steering wheel, but they have had to do away with the indicator & wiper levers - all buttons on the steering wheel now.

Quite right about the unexpected dog/sheep/cyclist in the road in the middle of a corner, but with the TDis, there's (almost) always enough torque to get you out of trouble.

My daily commute is in a Defender or sometimes in SWAMBO's A3. I prefer the Defender, but that's because no taxi will mess with a landy + chicks dig the landy ;)

Sounds like they're becoming more like racecars.

Bwahaha, unlikely!

Partner's A3 a TDi, or just the Landy? What are the specs of the engine?