The Audi Thread

Naks

Executive Member
@Naks, my paddles move with my steering wheel...

Oh, that must be new then. On our 8P they were fixed. New one didn't come with paddles, much to SWAMBO's disgust.

Partner's A3 a TDi, or just the Landy? What are the specs of the engine?

A3 is a 2014 Sportback 1.6 TDi STronic (8VAAEG), Glacier White

Landy is a 2010 Puma 2.4 TDCi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratorq_engine#2.4). It has a bigger intercooler + remap, and cat removed - goes like the klappers, need a 7th gear in there :whistling:

Last edited:

Debeer165

Expert Member
That is correct. Older model A3's had fixed paddles, but the current one has them attached to the steering wheel and they are always behind the spokes at 9 and 3.

The 1.6 TDI of the Sportsback does not come standard with the paddles sadly, as it falls within the lowest spec level (S). I think it is around 3k to have them added on from the factory, but I do not think one could add them easily after that.

Naks

Executive Member
I know nothing about Landys or Fords, but 101kW seems a bit low for a 2.4L turbo diesel? I suppose 375Nm isn't too bad. Guess it's more about the torque.

The Defender power rating is 90kW/360Nm. Mine's probably pushing close to 110kW/420Nm with the mods. As the song goes, 'it's all about that torque, that torque, that torque..."

[video=youtube;0jhuKLrjJLg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jhuKLrjJLg[/video]

rorz0r

Executive Member
My 335i has paddles that rotate with the steering wheel (at 9 and 3). The paddles are cool to have but I barely ever use them. Maybe I'm also too old. If anything I put the car in sport and the gearbox in sport. I find it easier to use the gear lever to shift as it's consistently in one place but then obviously only have one hand on the steering wheel.
But yeah, I'm no racing driver. The car has more than enough power in a corner and the gearbox is pretty fantastic. If I end up shifting down I inevitably end up leaveing it too late to shift up.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
You shouldn't be changing gears during a corner anyway, it upsets the balance of the car...

Last edited:

Maverick Jester

The Special One
These Allroads intrigue me. 2.7 T mmm.

http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bak...ow-mileage-93-000km/1001260401500910001088909

$_20.JPG

That engine and transmission formed the basis of the B5 RS4...

Supersonicbaron

Warning bit of a long story

So I have a 2011 A4 1.8T, automatic,bought new, currently with 73K on the clock.

A few weeks ago driving home, on the fast lane about 130km/h a VW Caravelle pulls behind me and try's to show me the way to the centre lane. Needless to say I won't move for a Caravelle , so I accelerate from 130 to about 160 and create a nice gap between the Caravelle and me.

Suddenly the engine starts "missing" and losing compression, EPC light comes on and the other orange "engine light"I slow down get off the freeway and manage to get to a garage, call Audi assistance for help.

the only tech in my region is on another call 60km away, anyway I start the car again and everything seems fine and I get home.

Next day I take the car to Audi Centre Durban and diagnostics come out clear, nothing wrong with the car they say, but anyway want to do an oil consumption test, they fiddle with some settings and tell me that I should drive 1000kms and bring it back for an assessment.

Yesterday I went back, 1000kms completed, second stage oil test done and the report is that the engine is damaged, replacement engine needed.

While the car runs "normally" the only difference I can feel is a lack(not significant) of power.

I'm not stressing as it's covered under the Freeway Plan, but strange nonetheless that the engines caves early

It's my first Audi, love the car and am not a "performance" driver lol. It's strange that the engine goes and 73K.
Anyone else had early engine failure ?

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
Warning bit of a long story

So I have a 2011 A4 1.8T, automatic,bought new, currently with 73K on the clock.

A few weeks ago driving home, on the fast lane about 130km/h a VW Caravelle pulls behind me and try's to show me the way to the centre lane. Needless to say I won't move for a Caravelle , so I accelerate from 130 to about 160 and create a nice gap between the Caravelle and me.

Suddenly the engine starts "missing" and losing compression, EPC light comes on and the other orange "engine light"I slow down get off the freeway and manage to get to a garage, call Audi assistance for help.

the only tech in my region is on another call 60km away, anyway I start the car again and everything seems fine and I get home.

Next day I take the car to Audi Centre Durban and diagnostics come out clear, nothing wrong with the car they say, but anyway want to do an oil consumption test, they fiddle with some settings and tell me that I should drive 1000kms and bring it back for an assessment.

Yesterday I went back, 1000kms completed, second stage oil test done and the report is that the engine is damaged, replacement engine needed.

While the car runs "normally" the only difference I can feel is a lack(not significant) of power.

I'm not stressing as it's covered under the Freeway Plan, but strange nonetheless that the engines caves early

It's my first Audi, love the car and am not a "performance" driver lol. It's strange that the engine goes and 73K.
Anyone else had early engine failure ?

Sjoe! Hope they come to the party with prompt service.

Galactica

Expert Member
Guys would you buy a 2009 Audi S3 (with just over or under 100 000 km)? Is the maintenance cost insane? Are tyre prices astronomical etc?

Enigma_

Guys would you buy a 2009 Audi S3 (with just over or under 100 000 km)? Is the maintenance cost insane? Are tyre prices astronomical etc?

I doubt it would still be under warranty, so I'd stay away from it. Maintenance would most likely be pricey, go for a newer model A3.

PostmanPot

Honorary Master

Absolutely, in a heartbeat.

White one?

I doubt it would still be under warranty, so I'd stay away from it. Maintenance would most likely be pricey, go for a newer model A3.

Kindly provide us with some figures?

Enigma_

Absolutely, in a heartbeat.

White one?

Kindly provide us with some figures?

I don't have any figures, but I could imagine that it being an Audi, and a relatively old one, it may cost you a small fortunate should something break. Those S-tronic gearboxes are not cheap to fix.

But... that being said, if it's still got some warranty and or maintenance plan left, score.