The Audi Thread

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Thinking of flogging my Hyundai i30 and getting an A4 Avant, if I can find a decent B7/B7.5 TDI model that hasn't been thrashed too much.

Is multitronic really a big pain with these cars? I don't want a manual again, but I heard that multitronic is a little problematic (reading a few pages up).

ands45

Thinking of flogging my Hyundai i30 and getting an A4 Avant, if I can find a decent B7/B7.5 TDI model that hasn't been thrashed too much.

Is multitronic really a big pain with these cars? I don't want a manual again, but I heard that multitronic is a little problematic (reading a few pages up).
I think the newer multitronics are fine, and they sorted out most of the issues. More reliable than the stronic. I would still advise to take out a warranty to have some cover though. I have a 2015 TDI multitronic and is the smoothest drive, but you do lose a bit of the soul of driving

The older ones did have their issues and are very expensive to fix when things do go wrong. Know of 2 people who had them fail and both were around 60k to fix.

zerocool2009

Executive Member

I have a 2006 Q7 (supersmooth, zero issues).... and powerful lol!

airborne

Honorary Master

A TDI Avant is one of my favourite cars, love them but just know coming from a i30 you are going from ultra reliable hassle free low cost motoring to potentially high cost eina motoring.

Just know what you are getting yourself in for, basic running costs and maintenance will definitely be a lot higher and you need min R50k vehicle repairs budget in the bank for just in case. You may never need it but these vehicles can bite hard when they do, from the auto gearbox to diesel injectors to hydraulic engine mounts.

If you do get one search long and hard for a super clean FSH model. Do not rush the hunt.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
I think the newer multitronics are fine, and they sorted out most of the issues. More reliable than the stronic. I would still advise to take out a warranty to have some cover though. I have a 2015 TDI multitronic and is the smoothest drive, but you do lose a bit of the soul of driving

The older ones did have their issues and are very expensive to fix when things do go wrong. Know of 2 people who had them fail and both were around 60k to fix.
That's one thing I've read up on as well, is how the mtronic kind of finds the torque sweet spot and just glides along, which does take some getting used to.

AFAIK, the B8/B8.5 models only have Stronic which is basically rebranded DSG? I guess I'd need to take one for a test drive to get a feel for the gearbox. But I can't say I think that I'd be displeased (I hope)

PhireSide

Honorary Master
A TDI Avant is one of my favourite cars, love them but just know coming from a i30 you are going from ultra reliable hassle free low cost motoring to potentially high cost eina motoring.

Just know what you are getting yourself in for, basic running costs and maintenance will definitely be a lot higher and you need min R50k vehicle repairs budget in the bank for just in case. You may never need it but these vehicles can bite hard when they do, from the auto gearbox to diesel injectors to hydraulic engine mounts.

If you do get one search long and hard for a super clean FSH model. Do not rush the hunt.
If you read my post history you'd see how 'reliable' my i30 has been lately :X3:

I've done some research on these models and it seems like the 2007/2008 B7's are the ones to get as they have worked out most of the kinks. But they do note that MMI problems are prevalent, as well as gearbox failures and of course the usual DPF clogging up and fouling sensors.

I did briefly consider either a BMW 320d Touring and a Honda Accord Tourer, however spares are very expensive and scarce, which put me off ever so slightly. There's a much larger following when it comes to the Audi, which is a bit of a relief, in a sense.

But agreed, a piggy bank for when things break is a no-brainer, especially on older models where the Freeway plan can't be extended.

ands45

That's one thing I've read up on as well, is how the mtronic kind of finds the torque sweet spot and just glides along, which does take some getting used to.

AFAIK, the B8/B8.5 models only have Stronic which is basically rebranded DSG? I guess I'd need to take one for a test drive to get a feel for the gearbox. But I can't say I think that I'd be displeased (I hope)
Is a very relaxing smooth ride, but does take getting used too as it stays at the same rpm as you accelerating which is a bit odd a first.

Yip, stronic is same as dsg. Audi switched to stronic from 2016 in the A4

airborne

Honorary Master
If you read my post history you'd see how 'reliable' my i30 has been lately :X3:

I've done some research on these models and it seems like the 2007/2008 B7's are the ones to get as they have worked out most of the kinks. But they do note that MMI problems are prevalent, as well as gearbox failures and of course the usual DPF clogging up and fouling sensors.

I did briefly consider either a BMW 320d Touring and a Honda Accord Tourer, however spares are very expensive and scarce, which put me off ever so slightly. There's a much larger following when it comes to the Audi, which is a bit of a relief, in a sense.

But agreed, a piggy bank for when things break is a no-brainer, especially on older models where the Freeway plan can't be extended.
How has your i30 let you down and what out of pocket expenses have you had?

The 320D is pretty much bulletproof, also sexy af in touring. The Accord touring is a hottie and probably has a rock solid engine, spares prices may be insane but you'll never need them, not easy to find them through but maybe a sleeper bargain may pop up.

I looked at the diesel BMW and Audi touring at one stage and the reliability seemed to lean the BMW's side, that 320D engine is legendary and the spares will probably be cheaper and easier to come by.

Are you on the local BMW and Audi forums, there's some good info on both and plenty helpful people?

PhireSide

Honorary Master
How has your i30 let you down and what out of pocket expenses have you had?

The 320D is pretty much bulletproof, also sexy af in touring. The Accord touring is a hottie and probably has a rock solid engine, spares prices may be insane but you'll never need them, not easy to find them through but maybe a sleeper bargain may pop up.

I looked at the diesel BMW and Audi touring at one stage and the reliability seemed to lean the BMW's side, that 320D engine is legendary and the spares will probably be cheaper and easier to come by.

Are you on the local BMW and Audi forums, there's some good info on both and plenty helpful people?
I've had the i30 since mid 2014 and it's been relatively good up until now, only needing some work done in the last 10'000km or so. I've replaced the alternator rectifier, starter motor, a brake light switch, steering motor bushing, and a pending o2 sensor that I am waiting on a socket for. All this in the last two or so years.

So I'm in two minds - do I fix what needs fixing and sell, or fix it up and keep it and hope that the rest of the stuff lasts for another few years?

I did look at the BMW but the lack of spare tyre was a little off-putting. Runflats are quite pricey and I could keep a can of tyre weld in the cubby but that would only work for a screw or nail, not if the tyre gets slashed (happened to me when I hit a piece of scrap metal late at night a few years back). The Accord I really can't compare on - the last Honda I owned was a 1995 Ballade and I'm sure modern Honda's are quite different in many ways.

The 2.2CDTi in the Honda is also a bit lazy from what I've heard, whereas the German brands are a bit more punchy in that regard.

I've lurked on AudiWorld, but not on any of the Bimmer forums yet - I'll take a look but as I said, the lack of spare wheel is a consideration for me (and having one in the boot area negates the whole idea of a wagon).

Appreciate the thoughts and advice so far!

zerocool2009

Executive Member
I've had the i30 since mid 2014 and it's been relatively good up until now, only needing some work done in the last 10'000km or so. I've replaced the alternator rectifier, starter motor, a brake light switch, steering motor bushing, and a pending o2 sensor that I am waiting on a socket for. All this in the last two or so years.

So I'm in two minds - do I fix what needs fixing and sell, or fix it up and keep it and hope that the rest of the stuff lasts for another few years?

I did look at the BMW but the lack of spare tyre was a little off-putting. Runflats are quite pricey and I could keep a can of tyre weld in the cubby but that would only work for a screw or nail, not if the tyre gets slashed (happened to me when I hit a piece of scrap metal late at night a few years back). The Accord I really can't compare on - the last Honda I owned was a 1995 Ballade and I'm sure modern Honda's are quite different in many ways.

The 2.2CDTi in the Honda is also a bit lazy from what I've heard, whereas the German brands are a bit more punchy in that regard.

I've lurked on AudiWorld, but not on any of the Bimmer forums yet - I'll take a look but as I said, the lack of spare wheel is a consideration for me (and having one in the boot area negates the whole idea of a wagon).

My honest view: fix the i30. It will be cheaper than buying another car

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Or keep it and buy whatever you decide on? Unless space is an issue, having a spare car just works better for me, if something happens you don't run around trying to fix it urgently, just park and attend to it in good time.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
If I can find a decent enough Avant then I'll keep the i30, if it's an older but well-maintained example then it can always stand under the carport.

There is a really, really nice B8 that ticks all the boxes up in JHB (White, Automatic, TDI) with a measly 58k km on the odometer but it's priced at I think R160k - funny because examples with three or four times that mileage are priced around there.

I don't mind a B8, per se, but I do prefer the look of the B7 (which is essentially a B6 with a facelift) and also, I hear that they are cheaper to repair when things inevitably break. I follow BWTV on YouTube as well, he seems to have some nice thoughts on the B7 Avant as he dailies one.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
If I can find a decent enough Avant then I'll keep the i30, if it's an older but well-maintained example then it can always stand under the carport.

There is a really, really nice B8 that ticks all the boxes up in JHB (White, Automatic, TDI) with a measly 58k km on the odometer but it's priced at I think R160k - funny because examples with three or four times that mileage are priced around there.

I don't mind a B8, per se, but I do prefer the look of the B7 (which is essentially a B6 with a facelift) and also, I hear that they are cheaper to repair when things inevitably break. I follow BWTV on YouTube as well, he seems to have some nice thoughts on the B7 Avant as he dailies one.
Audi just do them right, I am not a fan of the couple type of station wagons, it just defeats the purpose, my favorite is the Allroad, i am slightly conservative so the Honda Tourer has never been my cup of tea.

airborne

Honorary Master

Below is the 2 local forums, ask all your questions there and you'll get answers from long term owners and mechanics that work on them:

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Below is the 2 local forums, ask all your questions there and you'll get answers from long term owners and mechanics that work on them:
Thanks for that. The BMW forum seems active, but the Audi one not so much (most users online at any given time was 11 :unsure: ). I did register on Audi World though, but they seem mostly centered on the NA market, so there is very little info out there on the TDI models.

I think my heart is set on the Audi, if I am being honest with myself. I did consider the other competition as well - Volvo, Mercedes-Benz, and so on, but from what I have heard, DIY repair is quite tough on these due to limited access to coding tools and diagnostic equipment. This could be bollocks, but I am just repeating what I have found online.

Audi has the most 'support' in terms of forums/message boards and the parts aren't too expensive, as many parts are shared across the other VW brands. I would even look at the B6 models too, but they are so closely priced to the B7/B7.5 models that they aren't really in the crosshairs at the moment. Their interiors also didn't age as well either, and coming from a 2011 car, I would balk at the thought of sacrificing niceties such as climate control, heated mirrors, electrochromatic rear view mirrors, USB and Aux inputs. I think the B7 strikes a nice balance between a classy interior that's older, but not dated and still has enough features that I won't have to take a step back in this regard.

I'm keeping an eye on the local markets - Gumtree, Facebook, WeBuyCars, Autotrader etc. for any solid deals, but I am not trying to rush into anything and I will do some more research in the meantime. There is an A4 Avant 3.0 TDI Quattro in my area going for a smidge over R100k, but I believe the engine is due for a timing chain inspection in 10'000km or so, and I believe that is not a job for the faint of heart as the engine needs to be removed for it to happen. It had a solar sunroof though, which I thought was cool:cool:

Link to the Quattro mentioned above, for anyone who wanted to see: https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-ba...avant-3-0-tdi-a4-b7/1009990792680910010006209

Last edited:

flytek

A5 sportback also quite spacious in the rear and also comes in 3l diesel.
I have a 3l diesel audi and am enjoying it a lot.
You do need a good fuel budget or to not drive too far. You pay for the performance but with diesel and german marques you get good performance for the fuel used.
The asian marques you get reliability but not performance/efficiency.
A good site for real worls fuel consumption if you need it is spritmonitor.de

airborne

Honorary Master
Thanks for that. The BMW forum seems active, but the Audi one not so much (most users online at any given time was 11 :unsure: ). I did register on Audi World though, but they seem mostly centered on the NA market, so there is very little info out there on the TDI models.

I think my heart is set on the Audi, if I am being honest with myself. I did consider the other competition as well - Volvo, Mercedes-Benz, and so on, but from what I have heard, DIY repair is quite tough on these due to limited access to coding tools and diagnostic equipment. This could be bollocks, but I am just repeating what I have found online.

Audi has the most 'support' in terms of forums/message boards and the parts aren't too expensive, as many parts are shared across the other VW brands. I would even look at the B6 models too, but they are so closely priced to the B7/B7.5 models that they aren't really in the crosshairs at the moment. Their interiors also didn't age as well either, and coming from a 2011 car, I would balk at the thought of sacrificing niceties such as climate control, heated mirrors, electrochromatic rear view mirrors, USB and Aux inputs. I think the B7 strikes a nice balance between a classy interior that's older, but not dated and still has enough features that I won't have to take a step back in this regard.

I'm keeping an eye on the local markets - Gumtree, Facebook, WeBuyCars, Autotrader etc. for any solid deals, but I am not trying to rush into anything and I will do some more research in the meantime. There is an A4 Avant 3.0 TDI Quattro in my area going for a smidge over R100k, but I believe the engine is due for a timing chain inspection in 10'000km or so, and I believe that is not a job for the faint of heart as the engine needs to be removed for it to happen. It had a solar sunroof though, which I thought was cool:cool:

Link to the Quattro mentioned above, for anyone who wanted to see: https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-ba...avant-3-0-tdi-a4-b7/1009990792680910010006209
Enjoy the Audi, they are stunners. I haven't been on that Audi forum for a good while, it may have petered out. The BMW is a good option, tons of mechanics know them lots of aftermarket spares options and tools available, also tons of DIY info available.

I know a guy that had to replace all the injectors on his 3.0 TDI engine, R45k later. I've also heard nightmare costs to repair the quattro systems. They are not for people on a budget but what a pleasure it must be having a 3.0 TDI Quattro. But damn so much pricey tech that can bomb out, don't forget the auto gearbox..

It might be something to consider a petrol Avant, in the long run the cost of ownership including fuel may well be significantly lower than a Diesel.

That being said the diesel pulls like a freight train, I drove the B6 I think it was 1.9TDI, the Avant is a big car and the power was something else, when the turbo spooled up what fun..

Last edited:

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Yeah the 3.0 TDI mills are pretty sweet (saw a YT vid last night where one sounded like a petrol V6 - mental!) but wrenching on them is not a walk in the park - so it's an unfortunate pass for me :D

Found a nice Avant in Maritzburg but I'm not too keen on driving/flying up and ending up disappointed and out of pocket for the air fare/fuel, and I decided that if there's a good one near me I'll consider it.

I did briefly look at the petrol models as well but I do like the lazy torque of the TDI's, not that they are lazy by any stretch of the imagination, but I think I'd be tempted to hoon it if I had a free-revving petrol unit.

I messsged a guy that I found a few towns over (found the ad online) that's selling one for a decent enough price but has some room for negotiation. What questions should I ask or check out for when going for a test drive? I might see if I can get hold of an OBDEleven or other diagnostic tool and scan for any codes, just in case. The odo is still on the nearer side of 200k, so am I in for any big ticket items in the next few years? Cambelt, Multitronic, etc?

airborne

Honorary Master
Yeah the 3.0 TDI mills are pretty sweet (saw a YT vid last night where one sounded like a petrol V6 - mental!) but wrenching on them is not a walk in the park - so it's an unfortunate pass for me :D

Found a nice Avant in Maritzburg but I'm not too keen on driving/flying up and ending up disappointed and out of pocket for the air fare/fuel, and I decided that if there's a good one near me I'll consider it.

I did briefly look at the petrol models as well but I do like the lazy torque of the TDI's, not that they are lazy by any stretch of the imagination, but I think I'd be tempted to hoon it if I had a free-revving petrol unit.

I messsged a guy that I found a few towns over (found the ad online) that's selling one for a decent enough price but has some room for negotiation. What questions should I ask or check out for when going for a test drive? I might see if I can get hold of an OBDEleven or other diagnostic tool and scan for any codes, just in case. The odo is still on the nearer side of 200k, so am I in for any big ticket items in the next few years? Cambelt, Multitronic, etc?

Lazy torque, lol those TDI's are far from lazy, they just pull from way low and they fly. That's really why a TDI is soo nice, that insane low down torque and that turbo spool up and the amazing fuel economy. I'd hoon a TDI all day long.

I can't remember what to look for, best and only way is to find a reputable Audi VAG specialist before you buy one and have them check it out before purchase. That is vital because without knowing those vehicles you'll never pick up the death rattles of the turbo, gearbox, injectors etc. Also some of them can get hugely expensive aircon issues, like R25k expensive but that was more the B6 I think but still something to be aware of. And don't forget the hydraulic engine mounts at R10k a pop and at higher mileage that's going to be a near certainty if the owner hasn't been watching the maintenance.

The 1.8T or 2.0T petrol is also a good one. The petrols generally have less costly stuff that can break down, like petrol injectors virtually never need replacing, older ones don't have high pressure fuel pumps.

Also don't get one with hydraulic or air suspension. That's another whole world of pain on older 2hnd vehicles.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Lazy torque, lol those TDI's are far from lazy, they just pull from way low and they fly. That's really why a TDI is soo nice, that insane low down torque and that turbo spool up and the amazing fuel economy. I'd hoon a TDI all day long.

I can't remember what to look for, best and only way is to find a reputable Audi VAG specialist before you buy one and have them check it out before purchase. That is vital because without knowing those vehicles you'll never pick up the death rattles of the turbo, gearbox, injectors etc. Also some of them can get hugely expensive aircon issues, like R25k expensive but that was more the B6 I think but still something to be aware of. And don't forget the hydraulic engine mounts at R10k a pop and at higher mileage that's going to be a near certainty if the owner hasn't been watching the maintenance.

The 1.8T or 2.0T petrol is also a good one. The petrols generally have less costly stuff that can break down, like petrol injectors virtually never need replacing, older ones don't have high pressure fuel pumps.

Also don't get one with hydraulic or air suspension. That's another whole world of pain on older 2hnd vehicles.
Thanks so much! A family member had a Golf IV with a slightly tuned 1.9TDI and that thing really flew. Of course the Avant is a little heavier but, depending on how I feel, maybe I do a stage 1 a year or two post-purchase. I doubt I will have a lack of power, coming from a lowly 91kW 1.6.

I will try and see if the seller would be willing to have me pay for a roadworthy test (small town, doubt they have many VAG specialists) done to it to see if anything urgent is afoot. But overall the car looks really good. Pretty weird seeing a Symphony II with a tape deck in there, but not a train smash as I will likely replace with a double din later on. The four rings are missing from the engine cover, but this seems a very common issue. The warning triangle cover hinge is also busted, but this can be fixed with a piece of scrap metal and some screws.

I have asked about the service history and details so will wait for that before I engage with the seller again. I am not very familiar with the trim levels on Audi's, but this seems to have dual zone climate control, manual seat adjustment, leather seats, Xenons, cruise control and no MMI. Also, are headlight washers standard on these models? I am assuming they are on the Xenon models, as these give off less light than halogen, so would need washers to get rid of built-up snow (not really an issue in SA).

I'm very excited to have found a model close by, but trying not to let it get into my head and see it as a rational, not an emotional purchase. If I find anything afoot, I'll walk away.