The Audi Thread

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
Oh and sorry for derailing your thread PP. If you like the car then do it, don't listen to the naysayers :)

No problem, I'm sure you found some of the comments equally bizarre as I did...

Now where are Fazda and Haptic Sapien when you need them? :D

I34z1k

After doing a CRAPLOAD of research on cars in this range, I'd recommend looking at a Toyota. They're some of the cheapest cars to service and get parts for. I ended up getting a Mazda 3, but ideally I'd have picked up a Civic 1.8vtec. Worth looking at!

I have crazy dejavu for some reason.

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
After doing a CRAPLOAD of research on cars in this range, I'd recommend looking at a Toyota. They're some of the cheapest cars to service and get parts for. I ended up getting a Mazda 3, but ideally I'd have picked up a Civic 1.8vtec. Worth looking at!

I have crazy dejavu for some reason.

I'm coming from a Mazda... You're probably right, but I'm done with the Japs for now. :D

Especially the boring ones.

I34z1k

Hahah.. My 2.0 ain't too boring ;)

Also reading early in the thread, it sounds like you're stretching your budget? Don't forget to check out fuel consumption, tyres, brake pads and insurance before you make a decision on a new car..

DominionZA

Executive Member

Also reading early in the thread, it sounds like you're stretching your budget? Don't forget to check out fuel consumption, tyres, brake pads and insurance before you make a decision on a new car..

Ya - I made that mistake. Heart ruled the brain.
When I saw my current A6 on the floor at Audi I was in such awe I tended to ignore my wife's warning about the cost of replacing the Michelin tyres on those 255/35/R19 mags. When first change came around I nearly had a heart attack at the R5,200 PER tyre cost :eek:

PostmanPot

Honorary Master

I'm sure, looking to downgrade to 2.0 which should still be fun for me while saving lots of petrol. My interest started with a 2.0 Polo, then a 2.0 Golf/Jetta 5. But with Audi A4 servicing (brakes, 15/16" tyres, etc.) on par with Golf/Jetta, I'm getting a whole lot more car at the R100k mark. R120,000 would be stretching.

Insurer is getting back to me with premiums on the cars mentioned, hoping Audi isn't too much.

M3mPh1z

I also so go with the B7 2.0 those engines are rock solid and servicing and parts at a mechanic is very reasonable.

I would buy one just over 120k so the cam-belt is already done or one at 70k and sell it before the cam-belt service.

As the others said, the main things that normally go wrong with Audi's are halved if you are getting a manual non-turbo.

If however you are going to be financing this over 5 years and is at the tip of your budget I would avoid, as it would be slightly more expensive than a more boring car to maintain. Otherwise the B7's are amazing value for money

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
I also so go with the B7 2.0 those engines are rock solid and servicing and parts at a mechanic is very reasonable.

I would buy one just over 120k so the cam-belt is already done or one at 70k and sell it before the cam-belt service.

As the others said, the main things that normally go wrong with Audi's are halved if you are getting a manual non-turbo.

If however you are going to be financing this over 5 years and is at the tip of your budget I would avoid, as it would be slightly more expensive than a more boring car to maintain. Otherwise the B7's are amazing value for money

Thanks, this is exactly where my research has led me. I will make sure of the cam belt service as I will be buying in that region. I won't be financing.

Any other tips? I'm scouting Gumtree private at the moment. Any reputable (Audi) dealers you know of?

Jab

Expert Member
Thanks, this is exactly where my research has led me. I will make sure of the cam belt service as I will be buying in that region. I won't be financing.

Any other tips? I'm scouting Gumtree private at the moment. Any reputable (Audi) dealers you know of?

I'm looking for the exact same car. Thread's timing is excellent. Also want to know this ^.

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
What's the opinion on the TDI models?

I think one would be the usual concerns of the turbo going and not knowing if the owner took care of it. The torque does appeal to me (and the economy), but I just don't want to have to risk forking out for a new turbo.

TehStranger

Executive Member
Right, my 2c.

Nothing wrong with an A4 2.0L, most of the issues people warn you about aren't present as soon as you start looking at N/A Audi's. Make sure you find yourself a good independent mechanic that you can trust. I have one who looks after all of the Audis and Mercs in my family and we've never experienced any major bills despite going through a blown head gasket, needing a new engine (yes the whole damn engine), water pumps, engine mounts, control arms and more things that I can possibly remember.

Don't let people scare you with thoughts of needing a R60,000 slush fund to keep a B7 N/A model on the road, they're talking out of their arse (or they go to Audi for everything which is just stupid). Get one just north of 120,000kms that has been looked after and you won't regret it for a second.

That being said have you looked at alternatives?

A 2006+ Honda Civic is ideal in terms of reliability, safety, fuel economy and service costs. (This is what I settled on though I did get it for R15,000 below what they normally retail for) Beware the OEM brake pads and discs though, they don't last. Get them replaced with better (and cheaper!) aftermarket solutions as soon as you can.
Audi A3 Sportbacks (the 2L N/A models) are also within budget and have much the same running costs as the A4
Merc C180K (early to mid 2000s) is also an option if you have a good mechanic who you can trust. Fantastic value for the money.
Honda Accord 2.4 (2005+) is also fantastic and there are a few floating around your budget. Better than the Civic in every way and only a tad more when it comes to servicing.

Elax

I am on my forth pre-owned Audi in 12 years and not spent a fortune on any of them at all. Find yourself a decent mechanic that has the Audi computer and you're set.
The one I use in Edenvale does a better job than Audi ever did, and at a fraction of the price. I have had odd things go wrong (including blowing 2 valves while racing a BM) and no repairs broke the bank.

I prefer to let someone else spend the big bucks on a new model and devalue it for me it purchase later.

Could you share the name of your mechanic? Recently got myself a 2005 A4 3.0 Quattro that's going to need a service soonish.

Elax

Talking MP3 player... My birthday is on Sunday so the wife is contributing towards me getting the Audi Music Interface with bluetooth fitted to my car. Integrates with the existing media interface with the car and gives A2DP, iPod and USB integration. Plus bluetooth for my phone with contacts etc... on the multimedia interface (parrot getting taken out now).
I am like a kid. Cannot wait for next week :D

I was going to buy the kit and attempt the installation myself, but there is stuff to do with the fibre optics in the existing system which scared me off. Getting an Audi approved installer in Boksburg to do it rather.

Current audio system is Boze with all fibre. AMI will complete her :cool:

I need to make a plan with my audio as well. Not as if I have any tapes left to play....

DominionZA

Executive Member
Could you share the name of your mechanic? Recently got myself a 2005 A4 3.0 Quattro that's going to need a service soonish.

Sure.
Auto Service Center (011) 452 0819.
Andre is the guy to speak to.

Whenever he services my car I can really feel the difference. He is good.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Sure.
Auto Service Center (011) 452 0819.
Andre is the guy to speak to.

Whenever he services my car I can really feel the difference. He is good.

Nice one Mike!!

Just took my 14 year old Audi there for a 105k service and a coolant leak. They suggested I do a cambelt service same time as the leak was a worn water pump so while they were in there they could do cambelt. R7.9k all in. Interesting that Audi charge R12k for a cambelt service.

EDIT: Also got a failing electric window mechanism on the front passenger door, R3.2k to repair and replace.

Last edited:

DominionZA

Executive Member

Oooohhhhh - and that Quattro. Once you had one you struggle to drive non Quattro dude. My previous A6 was a Quattro and this was top of the list when I upgraded to my current. It is like the car is on freaking rails.