The Audi Thread

DominionZA

Executive Member
Here's the big thing, it comes down to the weight. The A7 is a lot heavier than the A5, but I can't give exact figures atm because I'm running on EDGE signal.

Diesel gives high levels of low down torque, while your petrol has more high up power. The torque allows the heavier car to not drop away entirely behind you at pull off, while your power is what allowed you to pull away again at the higher end.

Same deal with the A5 TDI. He was ahead, so I'm guessing that you were both along the higher end. He still stayed ahead, the gap stayed the same due to the curves as explained, but unlike the A7 he was lighter, which was why you couldn't catch up.

Edit : another factor, fuel level. If you were at 50% while they were recently filled, that equates to a good bit of additional weight difference.
Nice explanation. Thanks!
I have never quite understood the torque / kw / etc thing in cars with regards to petrol / diesel. This makes it nice and clear.

Last edited:

Debeer165

Expert Member
My bad, must have misread it.

Yeah a Q7 is a huge thing, definitely not made to be fast. Mind you, I wonder how badly Mike would have lost if he came up against the V12 TDI Q7 I saw the other day.

VanillaBox

Expert Member
I have a Q7, and had the A6 just before that, both 3.0TDi's same look and feel. Same engine power and output.

Firstly you need to know how to launch, secondly, my Q7 is f-sure slower than the A6. There is 2 things against the Q when it comes to racing, the height, the cars aerodynamics just isn't for racing, you have enough torque, but the amount of air you push against just increase as you pickup speed. Secondly is the gear ratio's, because you want todo 4x4 and need lots of power, you have a long first gear, and short second, (hill climbing ect) so when in racing mode, the pull away is fantastic, the amount of grip/lack of spinning, the torque converter working, all the things just work, and that for a close to 3 ton vehicle, (100l fuel tank, accesories an people) but then when it goes to second, it feel like it brake, and then in 3rd and onwards, it goes like hell.

If they changed the ECU that when you are in "s", then the second gear must kick in earlier, and last longer, then you would have a winning combo.

I've tried using the paddle shifters to skip second, but in racing conditions, the car reacts to slow for me, so my conclusion was that the Q is build for offroad, and you can't hav best of all worlds! Altough you have a lot!

The Q is the best car I've owned so far, it can swim (Groenkloof, where a x5 drowned, lol) do off road, and dune driving,

I like racing with all the cars, so when im back in PTA we can setup some races, or vehicle tests if you like.

Last edited:

VanillaBox

Expert Member
My bad, must have misread it.

Yeah a Q7 is a huge thing, definitely not made to be fast. Mind you, I wonder how badly Mike would have lost if he came up against the V12 TDI Q7 I saw the other day.

I was in the market for one, but they stopped bringing it in. special order only... 3 month waiting period.

It's also not thhaaatt fast, for the size it is, but totally not worth the fuel, pedal to the metal, 120l/100km, its thirsty! The 4.2TDi is 80l/100 and my 3TDi is 40l/100

Average 8.5l/100 ( on my 3TDi)

Debeer165

Expert Member
I was in the market for one, but they stopped bringing it in. special order only... 3 month waiting period.

It's also not thhaaatt fast, for the size it is, but totally not worth the fuel, pedal to the metal, 120l/100km, its thirsty! The 4.2TDi is 80l/100 and my 3TDi is 40l/100

Average 8.5l/100 ( on my 3TDi)

Definitely not an R8, but fast enough for the size I reckon.

You do raise very good points about your gear ratios which I had very little knowledge about.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Not to interrupt racing tales, which I always love, but have a quick question for Audi folk. As one of the vehicles I'm looking at, have a got a quote on an S3. What interests me is that the two new S3's on the floor are quoted at 210Kw's, when the pre-owned S3 I am wanting to test drive to get a feel for the car is 206Kw's - which is what I understood them to be detuned to from the overseas spec of 221kw's.

So why the "new" increase? Anyone have any info on this?

curbs2012

Expert Member
Need some input and thoughts on this:
2012 Audi A4 1.8T FSI SE
R 244,995
65 000 kms

White with RS rims and s line interior

Good price?
Bad?
Anything one should know about this model or what to look out for..?
Thanks in advance.

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
Need some input and thoughts on this:
2012 Audi A4 1.8T FSI SE
R 244,995
65 000 kms

White with RS rims and s line interior

Good price?
Bad?
Anything one should know about this model or what to look out for..?
Thanks in advance.

http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bak...audi-a4-1-8t-fsi-se/1001178639620910339164809

Excellent price. Many people ask that for the non facelift 'LED dot' version (2008 - 2011). Well they're mad, and your next car shows why. :D

$_20.JPG

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Not to interrupt racing tales, which I always love, but have a quick question for Audi folk. As one of the vehicles I'm looking at, have a got a quote on an S3. What interests me is that the two new S3's on the floor are quoted at 210Kw's, when the pre-owned S3 I am wanting to test drive to get a feel for the car is 206Kw's - which is what I understood them to be detuned to from the overseas spec of 221kw's.

So why the "new" increase? Anyone have any info on this?

There was a problem with the turbo's on the 206kW S3 and Golf R's. The replacement turbos produce 210kw and all new imports will be 210kw. If you buy a 206kw it should probably have had it's turbo replaced anyway to the newer version. Worth asking the question.

Splinter

Honorary Master
There was a problem with the turbo's on the 206kW S3 and Golf R's. The replacement turbos produce 210kw and all new imports will be 210kw. If you buy a 206kw it should probably have had it's turbo replaced anyway to the newer version. Worth asking the question.

Awesome - thanks for the feedback! But that is very interesting indeed - I have been looking at Golf R's as well and none of them are quoted ay anything other than 206Kw's. And when I asked the Audi salesman as to the difference yesterday he didn't know either. Do you perhaps have a link as to this?

Dolby

Honorary Master
Unless it's badged as a courtesy car like mine was.

Then they just think stay far, far away from Audi!

DominionZA

Executive Member
Your colleagues muse think your rolling in the dough.
New car every week :p

lol - ye.

Going to get more interesting. They are struggling to find the fault on my A5 so they keeping it overnight - and maybe the weekend. They need the Q5 back tomorrow as it has been sold so they sending a driver to swap the A5 with another Audi. Probably an A4 this time.

The technical manager even joked with me asking if there is any Audi I have not driven yet and would I have a preference. Told him an RS5 would be a good loan car - sigh - and he just laughed. Guess that was a "no fkn way man" response ):