The Brexit Thread

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Which is to say OD has misrepresented things yet again ... calling someone a liar when they say "zero percent growth" when in fact GDP growth for Germany is currently 0%.

Andrew Bridgen did not say the annual GDP growth rate is 0%.
Orbital likes to present himself on here as 'voice of reason' (much like most lefties on here) but they continually mis-represent facts & figures and love to cherry pick the news.

For instance, to add to the German discussion, German Business Confidence Falls to Four-Year Low and EU predicts that the UK will grow faster than Germany in 2019.

Pitbull

Verboten
Love the French « civil unrest ».

I’m fine with civil unrest like that for the rest of my life.
We as outsiders obviously have no idea what these things are about or how big it is. But by all accounts internationally it seems to be "Civil Unrest". Can't fault everyone who's not there for seeing it as it's written. You're the only one who's saying it small scale, and I believe you as it's your homeland. But Maybe take the issue up with international news outlets then?

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
But back onto more important things, the Telegraph is reporting that May is considering a 2-month delay.

Brexit.png

However the Daily Mail is reporting a far more concerning 2 year delay:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6741953/May-meets-Merkel-Egypt-summit-amid-Brexit-scramble.html

Theresa May held crisis talks with Angela Merkel today amid claims the EU wants to delay Brexit by two years to avoid no-deal chaos.

With no sign of a breakthrough in wrangling over the Irish border backstop and a Tory Remainer revolt threatening to spiral out of control, the PM met the German Chancellor for breakfast at a summit in Egypt.

The latest frantic diplomacy comes after Mrs May admitted she has yet to secure a revised deal - and said a final vote on a package might not happen until just 17 days before the UK is due to leave the EU.

She has been left pleading for Remainer ministers not to crash her strategy by joining efforts to force a Brexit delay in crunch votes on Wednesday.

But there are few signs that she can hold back the rebellion, after ministers openly threatened to defy her, warning that the 'dam is breaking'.

Amid the bitter standoff, senior EU officials are believed to be preparing for a longer extension to the Article 50 process than the few months being mooted by Remainers.

The idea could see the UK stay a member for another 21 months to avoid a 'cliff edge' and give more time for a deal to be reached - or better preparations to be made for no deal.

Mrs May will meet other leaders including Irish PM Leo Varadkar in Sharm El-Sheikh later, where she is attending a joint EU-Arab League summit.

Pitbull

Verboten
But back onto more important things, the Telegraph is reporting that May is considering a 2-month delay.

View attachment 624128

However the Daily Mail is reporting a far more concerning 2 year delay:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6741953/May-meets-Merkel-Egypt-summit-amid-Brexit-scramble.html
Dailymail though...

That being said, any delay in my eyes is a clear disregard for the people of the UK. They have voted to leave and it should be honored. Every heard of the Afrikaans saying: "Van uistel kom afstel"?

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Dailymail though...

That being said, any delay in my eyes is a clear disregard for the people of the UK. They have voted to leave and it should be honored. Every heard of the Afrikaans saying: "Van uistel kom afstel"?
Of course it is a disregard - I'd only accept a marginal delay if it was used to get the necessary legislation to get through. Of course, this news could all be leaking in order to frighten Brexiteers into voting for May's god awful Withdrawal Agreement.

Imagine that...making little to no positive case for her WA...just scare tactics with a wink/nudge to Brexiteers that if they don't vote through the WA (which isn't Brexit), then it'll be delayed "indefinitely".

The EU are not going to change the backstop (it's clearly designed to keep the UK in the EU SM & CU. It was devious May's little trick) as stated multiple times. Of course all the dumb Remoaner MPs who might succeed in taking No Deal off the table will only weaken May's hand, but hey, that's what being part of the cult does to you.

European Council President Donald Tusk yesterday told Prime Minister Theresa May that EU leaders will not offer concessions on the Brexit deal until she holds another vote in the House of Commons, and proves she has majority support for specific tweaks to the current Brexit deal.

Meanwhile, attending the EU-League of Arab states summit in Egypt, Irish Taoiseach Leo Varadkar yesterday said, “A backstop that includes a time limit isn’t a backstop at all, nor would a unilateral exit clause work for us” adding, “We are happy to discuss with the United Kingdom assurances that they may need to give them further confidence that the backstop were it ever applied will not be permanent.” Moreover, Irish Foreign Minister Simon Coveney warned that his government could not be asked to “compromise on something as fundamental as the peace process,” on which the border played a key part.

Elsewhere, Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz said, “If there is at the beginning of March no support for the deal we have, then I think it would be good to postpone the Brexit.”

Separately, Northern Ireland minister John Penrose said that attempting to remove the option of a No Deal Brexit on March 29 “could torpedo Brexit completely” by leading to further temporary extensions that “would become permanent.”
https://openeurope.org.uk/daily-shakeup/meaningful-vote-on-brexit-deal-to-take-place-by-march-12/#section-1

European Council President Donald Tusk yesterday told Prime Minister Theresa May that EU leaders will not offer concessions on the Brexit deal until she holds another vote in the House of Commons, and proves she has majority support for specific tweaks to the current Brexit deal.

Meanwhile, attending the EU-League of Arab states summit in Egypt, Irish Taoiseach Leo Varadkar yesterday said, “A backstop that includes a time limit isn’t a backstop at all, nor would a unilateral exit clause work for us” adding, “We are happy to discuss with the United Kingdom assurances that they may need to give them further confidence that the backstop were it ever applied will not be permanent.” Moreover, Irish Foreign Minister Simon Coveney warned that his government could not be asked to “compromise on something as fundamental as the peace process,” on which the border played a key part.

Elsewhere, Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz said, “If there is at the beginning of March no support for the deal we have, then I think it would be good to postpone the Brexit.”

Separately, Northern Ireland minister John Penrose said that attempting to remove the option of a No Deal Brexit on March 29 “could torpedo Brexit completely” by leading to further temporary extensions that “would become permanent.”

Last edited:

f2wohf

Honorary Master
We as outsiders obviously have no idea what these things are about or how big it is. But by all accounts internationally it seems to be "Civil Unrest". Can't fault everyone who's not there for seeing it as it's written. You're the only one who's saying it small scale, and I believe you as it's your homeland. But Maybe take the issue up with international news outlets then?
40 000 people. Not even what a train company or teachers strike reaches.

And they create a lot more damage.

Pitbull

Verboten
Of course it is a disregard - I'd only accept a marginal delay if it was used to get the necessary legislation to get through. Of course, this news could all be leaking in order to frighten Brexiteers into voting for May's god awful Withdrawal Agreement.

Imagine that...making little to no positive case for her WA...just scare tactics with a wink/nudge to Brexiteers that if they don't vote through the WA (which isn't Brexit), then it'll be delayed "indefinitely".
I have a funny feeling this isn't going to go down well by the people who voted for Brexit. And they think the unions were bad in Thatcher's time :D

Pitbull

Verboten
1500 people in Paris 2 weeks ago (police number yes).

40 something thousand nationwide.
Was a bit confused. Like I said, I have no idea, just what we read. Now imagine what the international media writes about SA :D

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
I have a funny feeling this isn't going to go down well by the people who voted for Brexit. And they think the unions were bad in Thatcher's time :D
Nigel Farage has started a new party simply called the Brexit Party. I almost want the UK to participate in the EU elections in May just to see all the pathetic EU Remoaners cry again when the Brexit Party comes top of the poll.

Never, ever underestimate the strong feelings generated by the feelings of betrayal. Remoaners have this weird view that they can just ride rough-shod over the electorate and Leavers are apparently to thick to notice it.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
US and UK strike long-term derivatives deal

UK and US markets regulators have finalised a sweeping long-term agreement to jointly oversee each other’s derivatives markets after Brexit, removing concerns of financial turmoil in the $481tn market if Britain leaves the EU without an agreement.

The accord will close off risks of massive disruption to banks, institutional investors and corporations, which use derivatives like swaps and futures to hedge against movements in interest rates and currencies. The two sides, which together account for the majority of the global derivatives market, unveiled their deal in London on Monday. The agreement is set to begin when the UK leaves the European Union on March 29.

Pitbull

Verboten
You are aware that Derivatives are not the entire market hey?
I know exactly what it is. Do you?

The biggest industry in the UK is financial services correct? Derivatives just about guarantees the safety of the financial industry.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I know exactly what it is. Do you?

The biggest industry in the UK is financial services correct? Derivatives just about guarantees the safety of the financial industry.
No, this agreement sort of guarantees the derivatives market... it may lend a bit of stability to the rest of the market but it doesn't guarantee the safety of the entire financial industry.