The Brexit Thread

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Yep, embarrassing for all those people who claim that EU members give up their sovereignty when joining the EU and can't do anything without permission from the EU. Sucks to be proven wrong huh, how embarrassing :oops:
I've noticed the EU is quite similar to the UN in that it serves as a scapegoat for a lot of people who either don't understand how it works, or pretend not to.

AdrianH

Expert Member
@Dave

Don't have a reply, off my game . Moved over then weekend which was exhausting, and then got admitted to hospital Monday night for a kidney stone.

First real experience with NHS, it's alright to be honest especially when they finally admitted me. Took a few hours to get there though as they were quite busy. Took about 30 minutes to get to triage, then about an hour to be seen by doctor, then had to have a CT scan and urine test, and only then did the admit me, probably 4 hours or so.

But I'll be back!

Dave

Honorary Master
@Dave

Don't have a reply, off my game . Moved over then weekend which was exhausting, and then got admitted to hospital Monday night for a kidney stone.

First real experience with NHS, it's alright to be honest especially when they finally admitted me. Took a few hours to get there though as they were quite busy. Took about 30 minutes to get to triage, then about an hour to be seen by doctor, then had to have a CT scan and urine test, and only then did the admit me, probably 4 hours or so.

But I'll be back!

That’s a painful condition :(, hope you recover quickly.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
One of the benefits of Brexit is that the US no longer blames the UK for subsidies to Airbus:
The US has agreed to suspend tariffs on UK goods including single malt whiskies that were imposed in retaliation over subsidies to the aircraft maker Airbus.

Tariffs will also be lifted on UK cheese, cashmere and machinery.

The duties will be suspended for four months while the two sides seek a long-term settlement.

On 1 January, the UK dropped its own tariffs on some US goods, put in place over a related dispute about US subsidies to Boeing.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
This is my point though, "they" is not the leavers, its the UK that needs to make it work which includes everyone who works and lives here. Ultimately it should be "we need to make it work" regardless if you voted to remain or leave, because if Brexit fails, we (the entire UK) feel the consequences, and if Brexit is a success, we (the entire UK) all reap the benefits.

Group A: Don't do this, it will be bad.
Group B: No, it will be better.

Group B gets their way, and it's bad.

Group A points out the bad that they warned about.

Group B complains that Group A says "We told you so!"

The Voice

Honorary Master
Group A: Don't do this, it will be bad.
Group B: No, it will be better.

Group B gets their way, and it's bad.

Group A points out the bad that they warned about.

Group B complains that Group A says "We told you so!"

Reality for some is that Group A are WISHING that it fails so that they CAN say "we told you so!".

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Reality for some is that Group A are WISHING that it fails so that they CAN say "we told you so!".

Sure, you will get people like that. I am willing to wager that except for politicians, almost no-one will sabotage themselves and the country just to be able to say "I told you so", whether they want it to fail or not.
The remainers are no longer in power, so they shouldn't be able to do much damage anyway.

AdrianH

Expert Member
Sure, you will get people like that. I am willing to wager that except for politicians, almost no-one will sabotage themselves and the country just to be able to say "I told you so", whether they want it to fail or not.
The remainers are no longer in power, so they shouldn't be able to do much damage anyway.
Depends what you mean about sabotage? If you look at the four years leading up to Brexit, the remainers could have respected the democratic referendum spent their time fighting the EU instead of the leavers, this would have put Britain in a far better position to negotiate a better deal. So from my point of view, the remainers did sabotage themselves.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Depends what you mean about sabotage? If you look at the four years leading up to Brexit, the remainers could have respected the democratic referendum spent their time fighting the EU instead of the leavers, this would have put Britain in a far better position to negotiate a better deal. So from my point of view, the remainers did sabotage themselves.

Apologies if I'm wasting your time since I'm not as clued up as I could be, but how could the remainers have fought the EU?

C4Cat

Honorary Master
This is my point though, "they" is not the leavers, its the UK that needs to make it work which includes everyone who works and lives here. Ultimately it should be "we need to make it work" regardless if you voted to remain or leave, because if Brexit fails, we (the entire UK) feel the consequences, and if Brexit is a success, we (the entire UK) all reap the benefits.
I hope you and @The Voice both support all the ANC initiatives in this country fully, in the name of unity, and don't ever say 'I told you so' to the majority who voted for them. Ultimately it should be "we need to make it work" regardless if you voted for the ANC or not, because if the ANC fails, we (the entire SA) feel the consequences, and if the ANC are a success, we (the entire SA) all reap the benefits.

SoldierMan

Expert Member
Um question, what happened to the breakdown of the UK and it's financial system and ability to do business if Brexit took place. Just asking.

AdrianH

Expert Member
Apologies if I'm wasting your time since I'm not as clued up as I could be, but how could the remainers have fought the EU?

Hey, no need to apologize, debate and discussion is healthy!

I mean fighting the EU for the best deal possible. If over those four years there was a united Britain (maybe more from a government point of view make more sense), then that time could have been used in negotiating a better Brexit deal from a single collective of senior government officials, parties, organizations and business leaders, instead of a divided government where too much time was spent on arguing with each other about leave and stay.

Basically comes down the the "United we stand, divided we fall" motto.

AdrianH

Expert Member
Um question, what happened to the breakdown of the UK and it's financial system and ability to do business if Brexit took place. Just asking.

Never happened! In fact, GBP keeps on strengthening against the EUR.

When I was in the hospital last week, across from me was a guy from Romania working for an Austrian logistics company. We got talking and he is a trucker mainly bringing goods into and out of UK. I asked him how Brexit has affected him and he said "not that much, just takes longer at customs, especially on the French side". He said it used to take anywhere up to 1 hour before Brexit to cross from France to UK, and most he has waited now is 4 hours. When I asked what was causing the extra time, he said there is extra paper work and initially it was a problem due to not know what was needed, but its all sorted now. The issue for him now is the French deliberately causing delays and disruptions even though all paper work is in order, basically just "acting like assholes, sometimes refusing to speak English" is what he said.

To cross from UK to France was initially a problem but most of the issues have been ironed out and doesn't take much longer than it did previously, at most he has waited was two hours back in January. I asked him if about the empty trucks leaving UK for EU and he said its happening, but he hasn't experienced it much himself. Only a single return trip to EU for him had a truck at 60%, rest were fully laden.

SoldierMan

Expert Member

When I was in the hospital last week, across from me was a guy from Romania working for an Austrian logistics company. We got talking and he is a trucker mainly bringing goods into and out of UK. I asked him how Brexit has affected him and he said "not that much, just takes longer at customs, especially on the French side". He said it used to take anywhere up to 1 hour before Brexit to cross from France to UK, and most he has waited now is 4 hours. When I asked what was causing the extra time, he said there is extra paper work and initially it was a problem due to not know what was needed, but its all sorted now. The issue for him now is the French deliberately causing delays and disruptions even though all paper work is in order, basically just "acting like assholes, sometimes refusing to speak English" is what he said.

To cross from UK to France was initially a problem but most of the issues have been ironed out and doesn't take much longer than it did previously, at most he has waited was two hours back in January. I asked him if about the empty trucks leaving UK for EU and he said its happening, but he hasn't experienced it much himself. Only a single return trip to EU for him had a truck at 60%, rest were fully laden.

Interesting, thanks for the feedback. I haven't been following Brexit apart from watching Sky news and they haven't really had anything about Brexit from what I can tell. Then I saw the Pound strengthen against the Euro and that is what prompted my question.

The Voice

Honorary Master
I hope you and @The Voice both support all the ANC initiatives in this country fully, in the name of unity, and don't ever say 'I told you so' to the majority who voted for them. Ultimately it should be "we need to make it work" regardless if you voted for the ANC or not, because if the ANC fails, we (the entire SA) feel the consequences, and if the ANC are a success, we (the entire SA) all reap the benefits.
That's a really, really long stretch, but I'll bite anyway: South Africans literally have no choice but to hope that things get better, because the ANC is going to be ruling over them for the next few decades still. And given their track record over the last 25 years, things are only going to get much worse, year on year. Yet, every single election, they keep getting voted back in.

Now, over to the UK: a First World superpower (not a 3rd world banana republic) that's only just left a trading bloc. Unlike the ANC's slow dismantling of South Africa, there is no historical data which would make it easy for anyone to predict ruin. There is still plenty of time to navigate the rough patches properly, and set us on the correct path.

The mere fact that the ANC's rule of SA is even being compared to Brexit just shows how disillusioned some people have become by what's actually happening on the ground - in both countries, it seems.

Dave

Honorary Master
LMAO ... the EU wants to take the UK to court ... to the EU court which no longer has any jurisdiction over the UK :ROFL:

Typical NBFtw, first he quotes a ZeroHedge article (which seems to be making up a story with no relevance to the Bloomberg article it links to) but then goes further and shows he doesnt understand how the Brexit agreement works, especially with regards to Northern Ireland (over which the EU Court still has jurisdiction). Mandatory NBFtw laughing icon added :ROFL:.

Maybe you should read the protocols of the withdrawal agreement before throwing those :ROFL: icons around, people might end up :ROFL: at you if you appear to post with ignorance...

;)

Here’s an FYI for you

PROTOCOL ON IRELAND/NORTHERN IRELAND

4. As regards the second subparagraph of paragraph 2 of this Article, Article 5 and Articles 7 to 10, the institutions, bodies, offices, and agencies of the Union shall in relation to the United Kingdom and natural and legal persons residing or established in the territory of the United Kingdom have the powers conferred upon them by Union law.
In particular, the Court of Justice of the European Union shall have the jurisdiction provided for in the Treaties in this respect. The second and third paragraphs of Article 267 TFEU shall apply to and in the United Kingdom in this respect.

7. In cases brought before the Court of Justice of the European Union pursuant to paragraph 4:

(a) the United Kingdom may participate in the proceedings before the Court of Justice of the European Union in the same way as a Member State;
(b) lawyers authorised to practise before the courts or tribunals of the United Kingdom may represent or assist a party before the Court of Justice of the European Union in such proceedings and shall in every respect be treated as lawyers authorised to practise before courts or tribunals of Member States representing or assisting a party before the Court of Justice of the European Union.

Also, as a ZeroHedge expert, do you have any ideas why someone called Daniel Krassimirov Ivandjiiski would want to write articles for ZeroHedge and pretend to be called Tyler Durden?

Last edited:

C4Cat

Honorary Master
You are aware that the UK has not yet started import checks on goods coming in from the EU, right? This is supposed to start on 1st April. However, it looks like the UK isn't actually even ready for that date.
The U.K. government is drawing up a plan to postpone new border checks on food imports from the European Union to reduce the risk of disruption to supplies this summer.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s officials are reviewing the timetable for the introduction of the paperwork rules, which are due to come into force from April 1, as he seeks to address what he called “teething problems” with Brexit.
The U.K. now is facing legal action from the EU after Johnson’s government unilaterally announced it will not introduce export documents on food crossing the Irish Sea to Northern Ireland from April. 1, as previously agreed. The requirements will now start from Oct. 1.

No doubt @AdrianH will continue to blame "Remainers" for all the Brexit related issues currently facing the UK

buka001

Honorary Master

Less anecdotal version

And the UK postponning some of their control of its borders -

So still not quiet fluid at the borders.