The difference between contract and prepaid data prices

cobusv

hardly anything that can beat their freeme bundles, i mean take the 20gb one for example;
  • free whatsapp
  • free sms
  • free telkom calls
  • 1500 free all net minutes
  • free lit streaming incl youtube
  • 20GB of all net data

i dunno that to me is just a helluva lot more value

Dan C

Honorary Master
hardly anything that can beat their freeme bundles, i mean take the 20gb one for example;
  • free whatsapp
  • free sms
  • free telkom calls
  • 1500 free all net minutes
  • free lit streaming incl youtube
  • 20GB of all net data

i dunno that to me is just a helluva lot more value
But for data only, which the article is about. Telkom is more expensive than Vodacom. Plus their roaming is currently not working that well.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Except I rather pay R900 for the Telkom 20GB because it lasts 6 months... Almost exactly what it takes me to use it.

I buy twice a year, so it's basically R1.8kpa on data and prepaid.

Though, I'd be tempted to get a 24 month contract at R150pm for 10GB per month

McT

The Humble Scot!
Because the masses are probably all prepaid, the pricing model of VC and MTN is there to fleece, pillage and hoodwink!

Dolby

Honorary Master
Except I rather pay R900 for the Telkom 20GB because it lasts 6 months... Almost exactly what it takes me to use it.

I buy twice a year, so it's basically R1.8kpa on data and prepaid.

Though, I'd be tempted to get a 24 month contract at R150pm for 10GB per month
Actually, I think I'll get it when my next 20GB runs out. It is a very good deal...

Swa

Honorary Master
Fixed contracts rely on breakage and OOB. The nearest I've seen to a competitive offering seems to be Cell C at R10/GB which seems to be the target these specials are aiming for.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
1565897200113.png
https://secure.telkom.co.za/today/shop/plan/smartbroadband-wireless-prepaid/
It's prepaid. Think it's limited to an area though, unsure, and must be LTE.

EDIT:
From the FAQ
1. What is SmartBroadband Wireless Prepaid?
In simple terms, it is a Telkom LTE prepaid data plan which is provided as a fixed SmartBroadband Wireless service for use in a fixed location to connect and surf the internet. Subscription to SmartBroadband Wireless prepaid data plan is subject to the availability of Telkom’s LTE network coverage.
though:
6. Can I use the SmartBroadband Wireless Prepaid service for mobility?
Should a subscriber use his SmartBroadband Wireless service for mobility purposes Telkom shall not be liable for lack of LTE network coverage, reliability or throughput outside its fixed LTE coverage areas
8. How long will the LTE/LTE-A Once-off prepaid bundle be valid for?
The LTE/LTE-A Once-off prepaid bundles will be valid for 61 days for Anytime data and 31 days for Night Surfer from the activation date.
For example, a customer who purchase 20GB LTE/LTE-A Once Off data bundles which comes with 20GB Anytime data + 20GB Night Surfer data on 1st November. The Anytime data shall expire on the 31st December and the Night Surfer data shall expire in 31days.
11. Who can purchase the LTE/LTE-A Once-off prepaid bundles?
The LTE/LTE-A Once-off prepaid bundles shall be available to be purchased by SmartBroadband Wireless, Smart Broadband Wireless LTE-A, SmartBroadband Wireless Uncapped and SmartBroadband Wireless Prepaid subscribers only over and above the current bundles they can purchase. 12. Who is not eligible to purchase the LTE/LTE-A Once-off prepaid bundles?
Existing prepaid rate plan subscribers will not be able to purchase the new LTE Prepaid bundles.
35. Can an existing Telkom More and SIM Sonke prepaid subscriber, be able to migrate to the SmartBroadband Wireless Prepaid plan?
Existing subscribers will be allowed to migrate to the SmartBroadband Wireless prepaid plan. A customer who chooses to migrate to SmartBroadband Wireless prepaid will be able to migrate back to another prepaid plan once a month.
So you need to migrate to the plan.

Last edited:

Dan C

Honorary Master
Fixed contracts rely on breakage and OOB. The nearest I've seen to a competitive offering seems to be Cell C at R10/GB which seems to be the target these specials are aiming for.
I'm on contract with Vodacom and it's less than R5 a gig anytime. OK it was that one day special. Cell C etc are kak in my area.

DXL

Expert Member
I keep on telling you guys that the cost of Mobile data is R1-60c a Gigabyte to the Mobile Operator.

Mobile Operators are making a killing.

I pay close to R2-70 a Gig on my LTE 110 Gigs per Month and i use all of it.

Ok i know i am showing off but i pay a fair price for Data right here in SA.

The thing is people dont know how to take advantage of these specials when they are offered.

MTN & RAIN will be launching good specials soon in next 2 months just go and sign up for sim only its for 24 months.

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master
I'm on contract with Vodacom and it's less than R5 a gig anytime. OK it was that one day special. Cell C etc are kak in my area.
And how much is it after breakage?

furpile

Expert Member
On Vodacom there is also a massive difference between normal prepaid and bulk recurring prepaid data prices. The normal data bundle is R149 for 1 GB. If you by a once-off recurring bundle it is R900 for 1 GB for 12 months. Effectively R75 a GB which is half the normal prepaid rate. Still far off from the contract prices but a lot better.

avk

And in other news, apparently the sun is hot and the oceans are wet.

jphegers

I use prepaid and have never had a contract so not sure how it works but do you also pay for data in advance like prepaid?