The Masters

Guantanamo

Expert Member
Ok, so next week Thursday The Masters start. It is probably the 1st or 2nd most important tournament for pretty much any player and is known for its excitement and pure awesomeness. Who is watching? Who is more excited then me? Who is your pick to win?

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
good start from tiger ...was expecting garcia to finish better than that after he was -5 or so after the 1st 9

that 14 year old kid is good :)

bekdik

Honorary Master
So Tiger Woods gets some preferential treatment AGAIN?

Not only that, but some reports say that the 'mistake' was deliberate as per a comment he made on TV audio, so it looks like he could be lying again too.

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
Not only that, but some reports say that the 'mistake' was deliberate as per a comment he made on TV audio, so it looks like he could be lying again too.

I don't normally follow golf but when I saw the article on the news I had to see what it was about because this is not the first time people said Tiger was getting special treatment from oficials or whomever and I think we even had some discussions on the forum about it a few years back.

Celine

Executive Member
oh for goodness sakes, someone please explain to me what exactly did he do wrong. his ball bounced off the flag pole and fell into the water. what was he supposed to do? he dropped the ball as the rules says? do the rules say he is supposed to stand in a specific area from where the ball falls into the water or what?

Guantanamo

Expert Member
Basically Tiger's shot hit the pin and rolled in to the water. So he had 3 options. 1 was to play from the drop zone, 2 was to drop from anywhere so long as he kept the line between him and where the ball entered the hazard and the pin the same. 3 was to drop from as close as possible to the original spot. Tiger took option 3. In his post round interview he said he went back 2 yards to get a better number. The problem is, is that that means he never dropped "as close as possible" to the original spot. The incident was reviewed before the end of play by the Master committee and they decided not to give him a penalty. Then he made the 2 yard comment and that is where the **** hit the fan. If you look at the video it wasn't really 2 yards. It was a couple of feet. 3 at most. And because the committee had already viewed the footage and made a call before the round was over they couldn't penalise him for signing the wrong scorecard. So when they went back to it they used a very rarely used rule to justify their call and give him a 2 shot penalty without DQ'ing him. In my mind it was the correct call. It is in essence very similar to if a player received the incorrect ruling from an official while on the course, the incorrect ruling stands in that case. The rules committee had the opportunity to levy the penalty before Tiger signed his card but because they never it would have been unfair of them to DQ him.

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
How much of a difference is 3 feet compared to 2 yards? Tiger is not a rookie on the golf course.

Guantanamo

Expert Member
How much of a difference is 3 feet compared to 2 yards? Tiger is not a rookie on the golf course.

90cm compared to 1,8m. Point is that even though he dropped close by, it wasn't the closest possible point. That is why he was penalized only after he said in his post round interview that he went back 2 yards, after he had signed his card. Because on TV it appears that he drops about as close as he could without risking the ball landing in his divot etc.