The most popular programming languages in the world

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
I'm currently in the market, looking for a new job. And really, why is everyone looking for JavaScript?

Tharaxis

I'm currently in the market, looking for a new job. And really, why is everyone looking for JavaScript?
It's used quite universally to create many kinds of applications:

Web
iOS/Android using tech such as React Native
Desktop using tech such as Electron

If you have a team who deeply understands JS, you have resources that can be almost universally deployed onto whatever platform or product that is needed. This is especially relevant as what was traditionally the domain of backend coders (API, Data Access, Data Storage, Scalability) is becoming more and more a domain of cloud services (an example being Firebase), allowing for more and more (and in many cases all) of the app/business logic being the domain of the JS code.

VegOtter

I thought this was a list of popular programming languages...

So why is PHP there?

*Troll flies away*
:whistling:

Oppiekoffie

Expert Member
OK, so, who is using that, talking now business size? corporates, dev shops , universities etc? That would be interesting to see, as well as SA usage.

silkenphoenixx

Everything.
Yip. Python may not be excellent at everything but it's quick and if you weigh up the development time versus the performance requirements of the task then it's amazing.

It's also commonly used in the sciences to do number crunching if you can't afford Matlab or other proprietary platforms. I like it a lot for that reason as I work in such an environment.

Swa

Honorary Master
Don't trust the stats. Most C programming is just C++ without OOP. So most C++ programs are probably C programs and most C programs are probably C++ programs. That would actually make it the most popular.

biometrics

Honorary Master
Don't trust the stats. Most C programming is just C++ without OOP. So most C++ programs are probably C programs and most C programs are probably C++ programs. That would actually make it the most popular.
Are you saying procedural beats OOP? Whoot!

Swa

Honorary Master
Are you saying procedural beats OOP? Whoot!
That's a whole other conversation. OOP has its place but most of the time it's forced. The two languages are so similar though that they are often interchangeable and confused. I think of C++ more as extensions to C than a separate language so it doesn't make sense to me to have both in a list.

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
It's used quite universally to create many kinds of applications:

Web
iOS/Android using tech such as React Native
Desktop using tech such as Electron

If you have a team who deeply understands JS, you have resources that can be almost universally deployed onto whatever platform or product that is needed. This is especially relevant as what was traditionally the domain of backend coders (API, Data Access, Data Storage, Scalability) is becoming more and more a domain of cloud services (an example being Firebase), allowing for more and more (and in many cases all) of the app/business logic being the domain of the JS code.
Good answer, and the main reason why I'll be skilling up on JS during my job hunt.
Thanks