The official running thread™

So, running is really not something I did (or anyone in our family did on a regular basis). I compete with sloth in terms of my speed, however, I would like to encourage my 5 year old son to pursue running. I suppose best way is to get out in evening and accompany him, right? Any other suggestions please.

Also, how old were you when you started running?

Maybe start with park runs? He may be more inclined to enjoy it if it is in a relaxed group environment. A lot of people have their kids with them.

I did my first half marathon in 2003 at the age of 22 but only really got seriously into it in 2016.
 
So, running is really not something I did (or anyone in our family did on a regular basis). I compete with sloth in terms of my speed, however, I would like to encourage my 5 year old son to pursue running. I suppose best way is to get out in evening and accompany him, right? Any other suggestions please.

Also, how old were you when you started running?
What the other poster said - parkrun is the way to go - but dropping him straight into a 5k is a recipe for disaster for a 5y old. Register him and start the run at about 8:40am. Run about 500m and turn back so you "complete" the PR with the walkers doing just 1k. Scan barcode so he gets a personal best.
Build from here.
 
Hi all, thinking of getting Nike Pegasus 39 with a Vitality Active Gear voucher. Does anyone know if I can use the voucher on the Nike website?

Sportsman's and total only have the 38s.
 
Hi all, thinking of getting Nike Pegasus 39 with a Vitality Active Gear voucher. Does anyone know if I can use the voucher on the Nike website?

Sportsman's and total only have the 38s.
P.s. I asked them and they said no... Will have to find a physical store or wait for sportsman's to get stock.
 
First US Run, another scorcher, decided to get in a pre-7 am run. Still not firing on all cylinders. I'm happy with the pace, stamina is off. (Not sure why the area is not detailed + watch took ages to get a GPS lock-on, never such issues in CT).

9410E0CF-D1CC-4B7C-A20B-5EC78C6B85A0.jpeg
11C159F7-5F33-4F64-8054-2BB40C49CBD2.jpeg
 
Is there any point in moving from 10k's to 21k's? :oops:

Pros/Cons that kind of thing?
Eventually 10k will be like any other base run, they are fun to improve your pace on, but will become a bit boring.

Personally, I am a sucker for punishment, so 21k is a nice fast paced endurance run.

42k and more is a pain in the ass to train for, takes up a lot of time.

That's why I like 20k trail runs, 3 hours later you are done and you feel like you pushed your body, plus you got out of the urban environment.
 
First US Run, another scorcher, decided to get in a pre-7 am run. Still not firing on all cylinders. I'm happy with the pace, stamina is off. (Not sure why the area is not detailed + watch took ages to get a GPS lock-on, never such issues in CT).

View attachment 1330826
View attachment 1330828

Was it the first time you used the GPS in the US? The watches have a file that tells them where to expect the satellites, and if that is outdated or saved for a different location it takes a while. Well, the Garmins do. Next one should be back to normal.
 
Was it the first time you used the GPS in the US? The watches have a file that tells them where to expect the satellites, and if that is outdated or saved for a different location it takes a while. Well, the Garmins do. Next one should be back to normal.
It's called the GPS-A (Think the A stand for "Assist")

My old Polar M400 needed to be synched via PC to update it (if I didn't synch regularly then it took forever to find the satellites), but my new Garmin does it via the App synch
 
Well done on the time!

I would have never thought Cape Town has such flat marathons, 124m over 42k :unsure:

Thanks!

Yup. All the way along the beachfront. Flat marathons are sometimes tougher as you're constantly using the same muscles, hence fatigue can set in quicker. I had some knee trouble with about 12km to go which sucked but I think a visit to the chiro this week for a realignment should go a long way to sorting that out.
 
Thanks!

Yup. All the way along the beachfront. Flat marathons are sometimes tougher as you're constantly using the same muscles, hence fatigue can set in quicker. I had some knee trouble with about 12km to go which sucked but I think a visit to the chiro this week for a realignment should go a long way to sorting that out.
True story, flat runs mean you are always working, no resting on the downhills
 
Thanks!

Yup. All the way along the beachfront. Flat marathons are sometimes tougher as you're constantly using the same muscles, hence fatigue can set in quicker. I had some knee trouble with about 12km to go which sucked but I think a visit to the chiro this week for a realignment should go a long way to sorting that out.
Durbs had there's last week. From North beach all the up past Umhlanga, turning back at exactly 21.1.
Must've been awesome.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X