The official running thread™

Oh ****, was it a mugging gone horribly wrong?
Not sure right now. Active investigation.

After I got mugged last year while on a run in the surrounding area ( I thought I was ok) - but just realised I have only run on the roads maybe 5 times this year and then only around my block or street (so I was affected). I just did a long run on the same road on Saturday where the victim was taken and then lost her life nearby. Fok!
 
Not sure right now. Active investigation.

After I got mugged last year while on a run in the surrounding area ( I thought I was ok) - but just realised I have only run on the roads maybe 5 times this year and then only around my block or street (so I was affected). I just did a long run on the same road on Saturday where the victim was taken and then lost her life nearby. Fok!
What area is this? I'm running in the dark alone most days of the week.
 
nice, after this post I attempted my first 10k. Normally I do between 6-8km on week days. 10k done in 62min.. damn so close

I’ll attempt again later this week :)
Nice man. You could just choose a flat route, on a nice early morning, start the run out at like 6:05 and then ramp it up for the last few km's!
 
Nice man. You could just choose a flat route, on a nice early morning, start the run out at like 6:05 and then ramp it up for the last few km's!
I would stay on the slow side for atleast 3km before ramping it up.
Usually before running a half marathon I do a warmup of atleast 6-8km's else I'm useless at the start of a hm.
 
Last edited:
Who's running Soweto on Sunday? I did not train nearly enough for the 42, so I'll be the one walking.
 
Haven't been mugged yet in Parkmore

Yeah I may be lucky but I have been running in Sandton, Bryanston, Parkmore and Morningside for like 5 years and have never had a problem.

Sometimes even run to Albert's farm parkrun like 20km, run the last 5km with my wife who meets me there and then we drive home. 90% of the time I am alone.

Makes me nervous when I hear these stories though, feels like a matter of time. I have planned for it in me head though, chuck watch and run but or if there is a car that slows down I try and keep myself 100m away and u hook my watch. No idea if that will work.
 
Not sure right now. Active investigation.

After I got mugged last year while on a run in the surrounding area ( I thought I was ok) - but just realised I have only run on the roads maybe 5 times this year and then only around my block or street (so I was affected). I just did a long run on the same road on Saturday where the victim was taken and then lost her life nearby. Fok!
The new running tights has a very convenient cellphone pocket on the side.
Very bad idea to use it.

Saw a vid of a woman getting her phone snatched from that very pocket by thugs passing her in a vehicle.
They spotted it a mile away.

Another bad idea is visible iPods which means there's a phone somewhere.

Small burner phone with concealed earphones is the way to go. I use a buff with the volume on low. I need something to listen to when Im out alone - boredom tires me quicker.

Your smartphone is the primary target because they know you don't keep cash/cards on a run.
Garmin is the other thing although unlikely.
 
What garmin watch would you guys recommend at the moment? still rocking my vivoactive 3 and it works great but its time to spoil myself a bit.

I run probably 15-25km a week in 3-4 runs so fairly shortish distance, i like partaking in the challenges also. Do a bit of walking, occasional cycling, maybe the odd swim.
I kind of like the solar series but mainly for the gimmick of it.

Want something not too bulky but dont mind a little bit of bulk.
Any thoughts on whats nice at the moment?
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X