The official running thread™

Good day

My wife is interested to do the Two Oceans Ultra Marathon in 2025. This will be her first & would just like some info on the registration process. It seems according the the website that after registration it then depends on a draw for it to be official, is this correct? And must you be registered at a running club for qualifying times to be registered. We are new to the whole marathon thing so any info would be appreciated, thanks.
 
Good day

My wife is interested to do the Two Oceans Ultra Marathon in 2025. This will be her first & would just like some info on the registration process. It seems according the the website that after registration it then depends on a draw for it to be official, is this correct? And must you be registered at a running club for qualifying times to be registered. We are new to the whole marathon thing so any info would be appreciated, thanks.
The draw process is true. All names go into the draw and you will receive an email advising that your name was selected for the relative distance. You will be advised that your entry will need to be completed in a certain time and payment done. For the marathon, qualifying entry times are required as well as ASA licence and club details. Medical history also required.
 
Incident at the Golden Harvest Parkrun this morning.
A runner was held up by multiple assailants armed with pangas. Phone stolen.

Private security and SAPS responded. Security saw some of the suspects and started persuit. One suspect fired shots at security.

SAPS airing and mounted units arrived to assist, but no one has been arrested.

This really sucks, as it is my local Parkrun. We actually debated last night if we wanted to go. Luckily we didn't.

But I'll never leavey wife and son to do this alone, and I'll probably start carrying while running, even though it is bloody hot and uncomfortable.
 
So how did everyone's running go in 2023?
I showed some marked improvements over 2022 with barely any injuries so looking to build further this year. 192 runs and some indoor cycling.

IMG_20240101_091039.jpg
 
Incident at the Golden Harvest Parkrun this morning.
A runner was held up by multiple assailants armed with pangas. Phone stolen.

Private security and SAPS responded. Security saw some of the suspects and started persuit. One suspect fired shots at security.

SAPS airing and mounted units arrived to assist, but no one has been arrested.

This really sucks, as it is my local Parkrun. We actually debated last night if we wanted to go. Luckily we didn't.

But I'll never leavey wife and son to do this alone, and I'll probably start carrying while running, even though it is bloody hot and uncomfortable.
As I understand it, it was not a parkrunner, it was a guy walking his dogs in the park. Still, I have heard of way too many incidents in the park (and been with someone who had a car stolen).
 
As I understand it, it was not a parkrunner, it was a guy walking his dogs in the park. Still, I have heard of way too many incidents in the park (and been with someone who had a car stolen).
It is possible. I got the info from the Honeydew CPF, and some info was missing. But it was definitely at the time the Parkrun was going,
 
So how did everyone's running go in 2023?
I showed some marked improvements over 2022 with barely any injuries so looking to build further this year. 192 runs and some indoor cycling.
Just generally a kak year from a training perspective:
Training.PNG

The majority of the distance in most years is cycling. The most running distance I've done in a year is 766km in 2020.
 
So how did everyone's running go in 2023?
I showed some marked improvements over 2022 with barely any injuries so looking to build further this year. 192 runs and some indoor cycling.

View attachment 1639957
Scaled down a bit. Did not partake in a single running event regardless of running high mileage most weeks. This year started off slow. Did 60km the first week of Jan which is half what I normally do but my body deserves the break. I can feel as I age my body aint as flexible as it used to be 7 years ago when I was 25. I'll train for a sub 15 or sub 16 min 5k this year. Been neglecting the shorter distances. Will lessen my mileage and focus more on quality runs with more strength training workouts.
I'll post my training blocks when I've compiled a structured training plan for anyone wanting to take up the challenge and train for a 5km pb.
 
Depending on your age, a sub 2 hour HM can easily be done by slightly upping the mileage, doing longer distance long run's and doing some light speed work ie. tempo runs or progressive long runs.
I'll drop a HM training plan here later this week for anyone that has a good weekly base mileage and wanting to improve their HM times.
 
So how did everyone's running go in 2023?
I showed some marked improvements over 2022 with barely any injuries so looking to build further this year. 192 runs and some indoor cycling.

View attachment 1639957
About 70% of this was trail running, so even though the volumes were not that intense, the effort was a lot harder than the previous road-running distances purely due to terrain and elevation.

This year I am focusing on more road running, so we shall see how it goes

1705314677310.png
 
Depending on your age, a sub 2 hour HM can easily be done by slightly upping the mileage, doing longer distance long run's and doing some light speed work ie. tempo runs or progressive long runs.
I'll drop a HM training plan here later this week for anyone that has a good weekly base mileage and wanting to improve their HM times.
Simply start running at a pace of 5.55/km and build from there i.e. 5km, 10km, 15km etc.

You need to be comfortable in maintaining the pace
 
Birchwood (now called cross the line 21km) is a good race to try for a Sub 2 21km. Fairly flat double lapper usually in April/ May when its getting a little cooler but not freezing and there is plenty time to work up to it.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X