The Official Xiaomi Thread

blaaislaai

Executive Member
Do you guys use the xda-forum for custom roms, or a different site for xiaomi phones?

FlashSA

Executive Member
Sorry for being a Karen today but MIA is a terrible "offical importer".

They bring in limited amounts of Xiaomi phones, prices are inconsistent, flash sales don't happen locally and the Redmi Note 10 is taking waaaayyyy tooo long to launch.
From a business point of view, their strategy is geared for profit: Concentrate on fast selling mid and low rangers which have much lower stock cost values, instead of flagships which are expensive to have gathering dust on a shelf due to slow demand. Unfortunately everyone in SA wants a Samsung or iPhone when it comes to flagships whereas most of us Xiaomi fans got hooked on midrangers.

Economies of scale.....

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
From a business point of view, their strategy is geared for profit: Concentrate on fast selling mid and low rangers which have much lower stock cost values, instead of flagships which are expensive to have gathering dust on a shelf due to slow demand. Unfortunately everyone in SA wants a Samsung or iPhone when it comes to flagships whereas most of us Xiaomi fans got hooked on midrangers.

Economies of scale.....
Heck, sometimes Xiaomi's midrangers surpasses the more expensive flagships.

Midrange phone = good enough for me.

riscbroker

Expert Member
I was interested in installing a clean ROM on my Redmi 9, seems that xiaomi.eu will not support MediaTek devices.

VoraciousLion

I'm sure this is old news but I just got back from being away....Xiaomi Mi 10 T on Takealot and Mia!!!! I hope they keep this up

Quicks

Expert Member
How is the support on mid range devices like the 9 Pro, as its been out for over a year? Thinking of getting one when its on sale again. Would it be better to wait for the note 10 as you will likely have at least another year support longer.

This is coming from a Xiaomi 4A and support for the device was dropped pretty quickly, last android security patch shows 2018-07-01. So they only supported the device for less than 2 years.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
How is the support on mid range devices like the 9 Pro, as its been out for over a year? Thinking of getting one when its on sale again. Would it be better to wait for the note 10 as you will likely have at least another year support longer.

This is coming from a Xiaomi 4A and support for the device was dropped pretty quickly, last android security patch shows 2018-07-01. So they only supported the device for less than 2 years.
My 4A device was good while it lasted. Had it for 3 years.

Battery's starting to go. And its storage was getting full .

Decided to get the Note 8, happy with it for now.

ands45

Has anyone purchased from Giztop.com before? I see they are cheaper that Banggood and they ship to SA. I am considering getting the MI 11.
Beware of them, they are legit but 1 phone I ordered from them was bought as a global phone but as they didn't have stock they just sent a Chinese version without asking. So it did not work properly, as the phone is actually slightly different and they just loaded the global software on it and the camera didn't work.

It was a nightmare to send back and although got the money back for the phone eventually. Lost the customs duties and had to pay to courier the phone back. They just ignored all mails, only managed to get a refund because of PayPal.

Magandroid

Expert Member
Beware of them, they are legit but 1 phone I ordered from them was bought as a global phone but as they didn't have stock they just sent a Chinese version without asking. So it did not work properly, as the phone is actually slightly different and they just loaded the global software on it and the camera didn't work.

It was a nightmare to send back and although got the money back for the phone eventually. Lost the customs duties and had to pay to courier the phone back. They just ignored all mails, only managed to get a refund because of PayPal.
Thanks for letting me know. I guess that is a concern for any purchases made directly from overseas and that is the returning of the product.

Conack

Expert Member
Hmm, Giztop's price and shipping fee seems to be the best by far from everywhere i've looked.
Gearbest now ships the Poco F3, but $60 for PostOffice shipping.....

Messaged Giztop on their website and asked what shipping fees are to SA.
They said $30 courier fee.

Those that ordered from them, which courier did they use, and was customs a hard hit?

Leisure Larry

Hmm, Giztop's price and shipping fee seems to be the best by far from everywhere i've looked.

Those that ordered from them, which courier did they use, and was customs a hard hit?

They used DHL for me. Customs was the usual. I probably paid about R700 I think. Do not use the Post Office route.

On a side note, I also wanted to buy the POCO F3 but I think it has a display issue.
Cannot hold brightness for long when outside.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
When ordering overseas, I prefer to use "big name" companies like Amazon etc, as they usually know the ins and outs of getting things through customs without hassles.

Smaller, or lesser-known importers may have issues with customs.

Conack

Expert Member
They used DHL for me. Customs was the usual. I probably paid about R700 I think. Do not use the Post Office route.

On a side note, I also wanted to buy the POCO F3 but I think it has a display issue.
Cannot hold brightness for long when outside.

Thanks a lot.

This definitely requires further waiting and reading to see if firmware updates will resolve it or not.
Currently on a Mi9T which is running fantastic using a custom rom - no wish to upgrade myself, but family/friends are looking, and spec wise the Poco F3 looks like the one to get.

ands45

Had 2 orders from them and 1 came with DHL and the other with Aramex. DHL was brilliant (took about 10/12 days) and was about R700 but Aramex were useless, took over a month to get the package and the customs were somehow more for a package that was declared at a similar value (phone was actually cheaper). As per my comment above if you do order just hope you don't have any issues as you will have such a mission to try and sort it out.