The PC Build Thread

weelzSA

Expert Member
This is turning out to be a very expensive project - R13k so far and that's just the Kit, 1080ti Strix Waterblock (no backplate) and new case.

Never thought the waterblock for GPU would be nearly R4k and then another R1k for the backplate so basically a price of a GPU.

Might have to do this in stages then it seems.

Dan C

Honorary Master
This is turning out to be a very expensive project - R13k so far and that's just the Kit, 1080ti Strix Waterblock (no backplate) and new case.

Never thought the waterblock for GPU would be nearly R4k and then another R1k for the backplate so basically a price of a GPU.

Might have to do this in stages then it seems.
Eish I just paid over R10k for an upgrade and that excluded GPU and SSDs. And I thought it was a lot. Still running old fashion air cooling :oops:

weelzSA

Expert Member
Eish I just paid over R10k for an upgrade and that excluded GPU and SSDs. And I thought it was a lot. Still running old fashion air cooling :oops:
Yeah this is my thought. I am planning a full PC upgrade later this year so thought I would start with water cooled parts and case so long but at this rate it's either PC upgrade or watercooled.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Yeah this is my thought. I am planning a full PC upgrade later this year so thought I would start with water cooled parts and case so long but at this rate it's either PC upgrade or watercooled.
Unfortunately I had no choice as my current mobo is stuffed and I can't find any decent AM3+ mobos anywhere. So I went for a Ryzen build.

weelzSA

Expert Member
Unfortunately I had no choice as my current mobo is stuffed and I can't find any decent AM3+ mobos anywhere. So I went for a Ryzen build.
That's exactly what I'm planning on for next upgrade - would have bought Ryzen 2600x / 2700x already but waiting to see pricing and performance of Ryzen 3 before I make my decision.

Quicks

Asus vs MSI motherboards

looking at upgrading when AMD 3xxx hits the market and I guess B550 will not be released anytime soon and from the looks of it X570 will be expensive

Looking at the B450 or X470 options

https://www.wootware.co.za/msi-x470...ryzen-socket-am4-atx-desktop-motherboard.html
or
https://www.wootware.co.za/asus-rog-strix-b450-f-gaming-amd-b450-am4-atx-desktop-motherboard.html

Which one will you guys pick? I want the best ram support, Audio quality and some overclocking potential hoping the 3xxx will overclock a bit better than the 2xxx series?

Last edited:

weelzSA

Expert Member
Just want to check, is the MSI B450 Gaming Pro really worht the extra R500 over the ASUS Strix B450?

MSI B450

ASUS Strix B450

I am wanting to upgrade to Ryzen when it gets released - either new or old Ryzen depending on prices. I also know the new X570 boards will be released and what I've read so far they will come at a premium and not sure if those new features are worth the extra cash?

I will want to overclock the cpu (will get either 2600x or 2700x or one of the new ones) with 32gb ram and Strix 1080ti.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

weelzSA

Expert Member
Why go that high
https://www.wootware.co.za/gigabyte...ryzen-socket-am4-atx-desktop-motherboard.html
Yes doesn't have WiFi but otherwise I've liked this board.
I saw this board which is why I asked if there are any others that are recommended. Everywhere I've read online people are saying the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon is the best to get but not sure with my hardware it makes sense paying so much more.

WiFi not a big deal to me as I connect direct with ethernet cable.

Its a R1k saving so just worried I loose out on features or is that good enough? Will it work with the new Ryzen too?

Lupus

Honorary Master
I saw this board which is why I asked if there are any others that are recommended. Everywhere I've read online people are saying the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon is the best to get but not sure with my hardware it makes sense paying so much more.

WiFi not a big deal to me as I connect direct with ethernet cable.

Its a R1k saving so just worried I loose out on features or is that good enough? Will it work with the new Ryzen too?
Not really sure to be honest.
Their latest bios has this note

1. Update new AGESA for next Gen. AMD Ryzen™ CPUs full support
Note:
1. If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F32 before F40
2. Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1) to avoid 4DIMM DDR compatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU

weelzSA

Expert Member
Not really sure to be honest.
Their latest bios has this note

1. Update new AGESA for next Gen. AMD Ryzen™ CPUs full support
Note:
1. If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F32 before F40
2. Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1) to avoid 4DIMM DDR compatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU
Is this something I can ask wootware to do or be able to do once I get a new Ryzen cpu as I only have intel CPU here with me.

weelzSA

Expert Member
So I have decided against the ASUS Strix Board (even tho my previous board was a strix and never had any issues) but all the forums online say its not the best board to go for.

Now am deciding between:

MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon

or

Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite

The Gigabyte is R1k cheaper.

Setup is either Ryzen 2600x/2700x or new Ryzen when launched, 32GB Trident Z 3200mhz ram, Asus Strix 1080ti, NvMe drive and a couple standard HDD's.

Will I loose out on anything "real" going for the Gigabyte? Am going to be installing Corsair RGB fans and strips (most likely use the Commander Pro) - does this board have the correct connectors or won't that matter with using the commander pro?

Are those the two best boards to be looking at in that kind of price range?

Dan C

Honorary Master
So I have decided against the ASUS Strix Board (even tho my previous board was a strix and never had any issues) but all the forums online say its not the best board to go for.

Now am deciding between:

MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon

or

Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite

The Gigabyte is R1k cheaper.

Setup is either Ryzen 2600x/2700x or new Ryzen when launched, 32GB Trident Z 3200mhz ram, Asus Strix 1080ti, NvMe drive and a couple standard HDD's.

Will I loose out on anything "real" going for the Gigabyte? Am going to be installing Corsair RGB fans and strips (most likely use the Commander Pro) - does this board have the correct connectors or won't that matter with using the commander pro?

Are those the two best boards to be looking at in that kind of price range?
I got that Gigabyte one. All arrived today. The PC case is freaking huge :X3:

weelzSA

Expert Member
I got that Gigabyte one. All arrived today. The PC case is freaking huge :X3:
Yeah I am leaning more and more to the Gigabyte as I can't really see what benefit the extra R1k for MSI gives.

Are you going to run this Gen Ryzen or wait for the update?

What case did you get?