The PC Build Thread

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
Hey boffins, putting together a new PC soon and was just wondering if anyone felt like naming a couple PSU brands and maybe some decent cases that are reliable. It's been a long long time since I was in the loop. All the usual suspects brand wise of course but now there's all these unknown to me brands here in the UK and I was wondering if they are any good. Much appreciated in advance.

jhuisamen

ponder

Honorary Master
Hey boffins, putting together a new PC soon and was just wondering if anyone felt like naming a couple PSU brands and maybe some decent cases that are reliable. It's been a long long time since I was in the loop. All the usual suspects brand wise of course but now there's all these unknown to me brands here in the UK and I was wondering if they are any good. Much appreciated in advance.

Superflower, they are also the oem for certain evga models. then there's corsair rm series, seasonic etc

Got a list to your online shops as well as budget & wattage you're after and I'll have a browse?

Last edited:

ponder

Honorary Master
Actually, its completely **** on thermals, thank you so much for the headsup.

Pity we don't have the B550 boards yet, the new B550 tomamhawk is the dogs bollocks beating higher end x570 boards.

jhuisamen

@ponder.
I've replaced the the MSI with the ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Plus (wifi), alot better on thermals and seems to be the go to on the "cheaper" x570s, even though its a grand more than the MSI.
What PSU wattage would you recc for the build, 650W should be more than sufficient right, or should I got with a 750W given I'd probably want to get 3950x/bigger GPU in a year or two.
Thanks for your help.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
I don't see why they can't remove say athlon, 1x00 & 2x00 support from the bios leaving space for 3&4 series. When the 3 series came out some manufacturers got around the size limitation issue by providing a graphically stripped down bios also leaving out some of the older & lower end cpus. Hopefully they can do the same again.

The BIOS thing seems like a smokescreen for something else. We'll find out later.

The AMD subreddit is buzzing with people complaining - unless there's a more solid reason than BIOS chip size, AMD are risking a chunk of the goodwill they bought themselves in the Zen era.

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
so all major PSUs are produced by basically the same OEM manufacturers, its kinda like fuel when it comes down to the individual additives the sellers spec their PSU to

Top tiers would be Corsair, Antec, Be Quiet, Enermax, SilverStone, EVGA

each of the above brands have bad PSU SKUs, and each have fantastic ones - look less at brand at more at the quality of the SKU

for example the Corsair HXi series is dogshit, while their RMi are good (generally)

heres a good list of who makes what, along with some reviews for each

Superflower, they are also the poem for certain evga models.

Got a list to your online shops as well as budget & wattage you're after and I'll have a browse.

See, never heard of Superflower, Be Quiet or Silverstone. I'll check out that link too, thanks @waylander. Here's just 2 that I was casually looking at @ponder, not saying they are my go to, just sticking my toes in for now and they popped up as popular.

Edit - budget for whole system minus a screen and mouse+keyboard is about 1500 pounds and I'm happy with a 500W +-

Last edited:

Choppie81

Yeah pclink lol Showing everything in stock with old prices :)
I did seem them update and increase prices on certain items I was looking for like the Ryzen 7, 2060 and 2070 but I assume they do drop shipping on these... hence everything is in stock...

Choppie81

Well... another weekend without everything to start my build... at least I have a few cases of beer left and not a smoker :cool:

ponder

Honorary Master
@ponder.
I've replaced the the MSI with the ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Plus (wifi), alot better on thermals and seems to be the go to on the "cheaper" x570s, even though its a grand more than the MSI.
What PSU wattage would you recc for the build, 650W should be more than sufficient right, or should I got with a 750W given I'd probably want to get 3950x/bigger GPU in a year or two.
Thanks for your help.

650W should be fine, 750W wont hurt.

To get an idea have a look at https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Pushing it on a 450W :ROFL:

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master
Well, my GIGABYTE GZ-EMS55A-C1 power supply has 2x 6+2 power leads, ( PCI-E 2.0 ) but none seems to fit the CPU Power Plug. So I am screwed. Till I get funds to buy a new Power Supply. :oops::eek:

Eish!!! ... , Murphy is a bugger.

Will look again in the morning, but no high hopes.

ponder

Honorary Master
Edit - budget for whole system minus a screen and mouse+keyboard is about 1500 pounds and I'm happy with a 500W +-

What portion of that for the PSU? Overclockers sell super flower btw.

Some decent ones,

ponder

Honorary Master
Well, my GIGABYTE GZ-EMS55A-C1 power supply has 2x 6+2 power leads, ( PCI-E 2.0 ) but none seems to fit the CPU Power Plug. So I am screwed. Till I get funds to buy a new Power Supply. :oops::eek:

Eish!!! ... , Murphy is a bugger.

Will look again in the morning, but no high hopes.

Hang on there, those connectors are for the GPU. Check again, MB should have the 24pin & 4pin or 2x4pin for the CPU.

Which MB do you have?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Hang on there, those connectors are for the GPU. Check again, MB should have the 24pin & 4pin or 2x4pin for the CPU.

Which MB do you have?
Or a combined 8 pin that's basically 2 4 pins joined.

ponder

Honorary Master
MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX ...

Power supply is quite a few years old ...

Mb has an 8pin connector, if your cpu only has a single 4pin plug it into 4 of the left or rightmost pins, it will fit. Supplies ample power for a 3600 etc which is only 65W