The PC Build Thread

HartsockZA

That would've been fine last year, but the 3 series aren't upgradeable to 4 series.
Yea I know, not a stickler for up to date stuff hence the age of my current board.
If Wootware did upgrade kits i'd buy from them, also not the biggest fan of Evetech

Edit: I am going to pop Wootware a mailer and give them a chance. I do not like evetech one bit.

Last edited:

practicalkat

Yea I know, not a stickler for up to date stuff hence the age of my current board.
If Wootware did upgrade kits i'd buy from them, also not the biggest fan of Evetech

Edit: I am going to pop Wootware a mailer and give them a chance. I do not like evetech one bit.
What are your reservations about Evetech? I've never used them. Have bought from com-x computers before with no problem, but don't see upgrade kits on their site

ponder

Honorary Master
I'd shop around but for R6800 it's hard to find ram and cpu for the same price also 3200 ram
CPU, MB & RAM for R6800?

R2799 - AMD YD1600BBAFBOX Ryzen 5 1600 (AF) Hexa Core 3.2GHz (3.6GHz Boost) Socket AM4 Desktop CPU
R2399 - MSI B450M MORTAR MAX AMD AM4 B450 Micro-ATX Desktop Motherboard - (R100 extra gets you the Tomahawk Max if you want full ATX)
R1499 - TeamGroup TLZRD416G3200HC16CDC01 Vulcan Z 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200MHz CL16 1.35V Red Desktop Memory
R6627 - TOTAL

JacquesR

That's nearly exactly what I bought (just different RAM) from Wootware a couple of weeks ago. With no voltage changes, upped the multiplier to run it at 3.8HGz, and it hasn't given a moment's trouble. With more testing and tweaking, I imagine it's capable of more.

furpile

Expert Member
Since I got my parts back from Wootware I have been worried about the CPU temps. At idle just after startup in Win10, it was sitting at 40C jumping to 50C every now and again. While gaming it got to high 70's in Witcher 3. I ordered some Coolermaster Mastergel Pro from Takealot and reseated the CPU cooler today. It looked like they may have had too much on or maybe just not great quality (they replaced my faulty CPU). I also added another 2 120mm case fans for a total of 3 blowing into the case and 1 out the top. Now in Windows the CPU idles at 33C-37C. Ran Cinebench 20 and the CPU reached 75C, whereas before the new paste it got to 80C very quickly and then I stopped the test. I also set the CPU fan profile to a more aggressive profile in BIOS to keep the temperature down. Very happy with the lower temperatures, will test it while gaming as well.

On a related note, the GPU fan settings often get lost in the AMD Radeon software. I disabled Fastboot in Windows which helped but today again it was back to stock settings which is 0 rpm at idle.

ponder

Honorary Master
Since I got my parts back from Wootware I have been worried about the CPU temps. At idle just after startup in Win10, it was sitting at 40C jumping to 50C every now and again. While gaming it got to high 70's in Witcher 3. I ordered some Coolermaster Mastergel Pro from Takealot and reseated the CPU cooler today. It looked like they may have had too much on or maybe just not great quality (they replaced my faulty CPU). I also added another 2 120mm case fans for a total of 3 blowing into the case and 1 out the top. Now in Windows the CPU idles at 33C-37C. Ran Cinebench 20 and the CPU reached 75C, whereas before the new paste it got to 80C very quickly and then I stopped the test. I also set the CPU fan profile to a more aggressive profile in BIOS to keep the temperature down. Very happy with the lower temperatures, will test it while gaming as well.

On a related note, the GPU fan settings often get lost in the AMD Radeon software. I disabled Fastboot in Windows which helped but today again it was back to stock settings which is 0 rpm at idle.
Use msi afterburner to set gpu fan profile.

practicalkat

The Ryzen 1xxx series seems to have problems with Linux, which rules it out. Looks like I need to nurse my old rig for a while still until the new generation becomes available at a reasonable price

HartsockZA

What are your reservations about Evetech? I've never used them. Have bought from com-x computers before with no problem, but don't see upgrade kits on their site
Yea through the years I have read stories and witnessed some troubling practices. Not a huge fan or at all for that matter. Would have lapped up the opportunity to get it from old Rebeltech but sadly they gone.

HartsockZA

Run Msi Afterburner AMD's fan control is crap

HartsockZA

Shot for the help, appreciate it. Still leaning towards the Ryzen 7 though, might have the company pay half and splurge a little.

https://www.wootware.co.za/asrock-9...ryzen-socket-am4-atx-desktop-motherboard.html Nice board... Wootware reckons it's a keeper

As for the CPU they say Ryzen 5 2600 or 3600
the Ryzen 5 1600 has some interesting temps loves running warm but hey what's to expect from AMD. Anyways dudes, appreciate the help.

ponder

Honorary Master
Shot for the help, appreciate it. Still leaning towards the Ryzen 7 though, might have the company pay half and splurge a little.

https://www.wootware.co.za/asrock-9...ryzen-socket-am4-atx-desktop-motherboard.html Nice board... Wootware reckons it's a keeper

As for the CPU they say Ryzen 5 2600 or 3600
the Ryzen 5 1600 has some interesting temps loves running warm but hey what's to expect from AMD. Anyways dudes, appreciate the help.
If your budget allows for the 3600 go for it as the ipc gains are worth it.

The asrock mb is also ok.

Superman-7

Grab Win 10 Pro for $ 9.95 :)

Reputable/reliable place to buy from? Pulling the trigger if so.

Superman-7

PC more or less died on Saturday when trying to update my windows from 1803 to 2004. Most parts are from 2010 (!) so I figured it was time for an upgrade.

I don't game that much but do occasionally play something like Tomb Raider/The Witcher. Main concern though is for software development - 2/3 Visual Studios, Android Studio, 40 Chrome tabs, SQL MS, that sort of thing :) Not really interested in overclocking, and not in a hurry to upgrade any time soon - basically looking at a decent build for the next 3 -5 years.

Have my mind made up on most components but need a bit of expert advice on a few outstanding items. Main point of contention here is the motherboard - but any help or suggestions on anything else is welcome.

Budget is 10k - 12k.

Have the following parts from my old pc that I'll use with the new one:

Antec 500W (I'm hoping this is enough)
Zotac 1060 3GB
Asus XONAR DX2 Sound (how good is motherboard sound nowadays - do I even need this anymore?)
Samsung 250GB SSD (forget the exact spec)

Below is what I'm considering buying:

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX AMD B450 (seen it recommended by a few others on this thread - not too sure how it compares to below)
or
ASRock 90-MXBA00-A0UAYZ B450 (decent price vs other similar boards)
or
?
--
Phanteks PH-EC400ATG_DWT01 Eclipse P400A
or
Fractal Design FD-CA-MESH-C-WT-TGC Meshify C
or
?
--
G.Skill F4-3200C16D-32GVK Ripjaws
--
AMD 100-100000031BOX Ryzen 5 3600
--

Just about ready to order - any advice/tips/feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited: