The PC Build Thread

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Asus XONAR DX2 Sound (how good is motherboard sound nowadays - do I even need this anymore?)
They seem to use the same audio chips as 10 years ago, but they advertise fancy noise isolation and high quality capacitors. You could compare your old card and your new board and let us know.

My sennheiser GSX1200 is slightly better than my onboard audio using my gaming headset, but I doubt I would notice if someone switched it back and didn't tell me.

Superman-7

They seem to use the same audio chips as 10 years ago, but they advertise fancy noise isolation and high quality capacitors. You could compare your old card and your new board and let us know.

My sennheiser GSX1200 is slightly better than my onboard audio using my gaming headset, but I doubt I would notice if someone switched it back and didn't tell me.
Agreed - I would probably not notice the difference that much myself.

I also think if you're not using quality speakers/headsets, the sound probably is more or less the same anyway.

Alien123

Looking to build my first gaming pc, would appreciate advice. Here's what I'm looking at:

CPURyzen5 3600
MBGigabyte B450 Aorus Elite
GPUGigabyte GV-N166SoC-6GD - gtx1660 Super Oc
RAMCorsair CMW16GX4M2Z3200C16 vengeance RGB Pro ( Dynamic Multi-Zone RGB with 10 LEDs per module ) - blacK heatsink , 8Gbx 2 kit - 8-layer PCB , optimized for AMD ryZen + Intel XMP ( eXtreme Memory Profiles ) , Ddr4-3200 ( pc4-25600) , CL16 , 1.35v - 288pin - lifetime warranty
SSDSamsung MZ-V7S500BW 500Gb 970 Evo Plus
CaseGigabyte C200G
Power SupplyCorsair CP-9020211 650w CV series

BTTB

^^^^
Come here and make us all jealous.
Drool, great components. Going to fly with that M2 drive.
Couldn't find a Warranty term on the PSU, I personally only choose those PSUs that have a 5 Year minimum warranty.

ponder

Honorary Master
Looking to build my first gaming pc, would appreciate advice. Here's what I'm looking at:

CPURyzen5 3600
MBGigabyte B450 Aorus Elite
GPUGigabyte GV-N166SoC-6GD - gtx1660 Super Oc
RAMCorsair CMW16GX4M2Z3200C16 vengeance RGB Pro ( Dynamic Multi-Zone RGB with 10 LEDs per module ) - blacK heatsink , 8Gbx 2 kit - 8-layer PCB , optimized for AMD ryZen + Intel XMP ( eXtreme Memory Profiles ) , Ddr4-3200 ( pc4-25600) , CL16 , 1.35v - 288pin - lifetime warranty
SSDSamsung MZ-V7S500BW 500Gb 970 Evo Plus
CaseGigabyte C200G
Power SupplyCorsair CP-9020211 650w CV series
The MSI B450 tomahawk/mortar max boards have better vrms and useful features like bios flashback. https://tinyurl.com/y6hod9tf
The Palit 1660 super is probably cheaper.
That case does not look like it has great airflow but not sure.

Looks like you're buying from rectron so probably typed all this for nothing :giggle:

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
I got more power supplies coming for the guys need to build pcs.

Lupus

Honorary Master
2060 Super arrived from Wootware, games are now getting about 25 to 30% more frames, so I can crank them back up to get 60 to 100fps

Superman-7

Built my pc today and everything running fine first time, except RAM speed which seems low but I need to go play around and figure out how that works.

Once again great service from Wootware.

Ordered my Ryzen 3600 from Titan-Ice - Wootware was out of stock.

Only heard of Titan-Ice from one or two other people on this forum. Can highly recommend them - ordered on Sunday evening, EFT was done Monday morning, parcel was delivered Monday afternoon (I'm in JHB).

Thanks all for the good advice and general talk on this thread - helped a lot. Haven't been paying to attention to hardware advances the last few years and this thread brought me up to speed a lot in a matter of a day or two.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Built my pc today and everything running fine first time, except RAM speed which seems low but I need to go play around and figure out how that works.

Once again great service from Wootware.

Ordered my Ryzen 3600 from Titan-Ice - Wootware was out of stock.

Only heard of Titan-Ice from one or two other people on this forum. Can highly recommend them - ordered on Sunday evening, EFT was done Monday morning, parcel was delivered Monday afternoon (I'm in JHB).

Thanks all for the good advice and general talk on this thread - helped a lot. Haven't been paying to attention to hardware advances the last few years and this thread brought me up to speed a lot in a matter of a day or two.
What's the issue with the RAM speed? If XMP is disabled it will run at stock speeds by default (2133). Just enable XMP and it should run at the rated speed.

Superman-7

What's the issue with the RAM speed? If XMP is disabled it will run at stock speeds by default (2133). Just enable XMP and it should run at the rated speed.
Yes, does run at that speed right now. Saw the XMP option in BIOS but haven't fiddled yet. I'll have a look later. Thanks!

Lupus

Honorary Master
This LG impresses me more and more, once you go over 1080p it's amazing.IMG_20200701_165919.jpgIMG-20200701-WA0012.jpg

Kiemo

Guys does anyone have spare pc parts they don’t use anymore ? I’m trying to build myself something I can use ... so far I got a old pc box I got from work ... I got a 2 gig ram in there ... looking for more ram I got a hard drive it’s a 250 gig ... it has a dual core CPu in that’s about it

Kiemo

I got more power supplies coming for the guys need to build pcs.

Gtx did no you build pc as well

BTTB

Help me build my AMD PC.

Case - Undecided. Recycling sons old Antec 900, my first option.
Power Supply - 660W Fractal Design. 10 Year Warranty.
CPU - Ryzen 3600. Third generation, bang for buck.
RAM - G-Skill 2 x 16Gb
Graphics Card - Galax Geforce GTX 9700. Recycling sons old card.
Storage - Sabrent Rocket NVMe4 2TB M2 SSD (PCIe Gen 4.0) or AORUS NVMe Gen4 SSD 1TB
Motherboard - Gigabyte B550 Aorus Master

For me the most important part to start off with in a new build, is the Motherboard and Power Supply.
Looking for something to last the next 5/6 years at least. Will buy a second exact same Motherboard of whatever I choose before the Warranty expires and the price drops, for backup.
The feature that drew me to the Gigabyte B550 Aorus Master was the 3 NVMe4 M2 drive slots which all connect directly to the CPU and not the B550 chipset.
I don't dabble with gaming, but will definitely look in to playing some CS GO, an old friend I fragged 15+ years ago when we still played Counterstrike invited me to join them, also part of my motivation to build a new PC.
Keen to fill all the MVme4 Cards once the prices drop with more TBs which can serve later as storage drives for my ageing fleet of various hard drives.
PC will mostly be used for work, browsing, but want to be suitably ready for a game or two without having to upgrade again.
My windows installation is not something I like to fiddle with due to work stuff, so this PC must last, basically a clonable installation, drop in a new motherboard when the first dies type of thing.

My existing AMD PC is 15 years old, I'm on the last of the 3 motherboards I once had, my time is running out.
My setup has been through 3 or 4 Power Supplies over the years and a couple of hard drives and still runs XP with 7 as dual boot but 90% XP.
So my big change will come with Windows 10 which I have been avoiding until now.

Any comments, suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
BTTB.
I got my hopes up to buy this PC and then my wife's birthday came up so I bought her a new PC instead. LOL, yes **** happens, all good though.
In hindsight I believe that her new PC is ample fast for my needs and the above wish list is a bit over the top but will certainly consider getting an upgrade very soon as I'm now jealous of the wife's blazingly fast PC.
New PC browses with MS Edge like a champ and tried CS GO last night at 200fps and faster and it runs really cool with just one case fan running.

Specs:
Fractal Design FD-CA-FOCUS-BK-W Focus G Windowed Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Desktop Chassis
MSI A320M-A PRO MAX AMD AM4 A320 Micro-ATX Desktop Motherboard
AMD YD3400C5FHBOX Ryzen 5 3400G Quad Core 3.7GHz (4.2GHz Boost) Socket AM4 Desktop APU
Galax 97NQH6DNH8FL NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 EXOC SNIPER Edition 4GB GDDR5 256bit PCI-E 3.0 Desktop Graphics Card
G.Skill F4-3000C16S-8GISB Aegis 8GB (1x8GB) DDR4-3000MHz CL16 1.35V Black Desktop Memory
Western Digital WDS500G2B0B Blue 500GB 3D NAND SATA 6Gb/s M.2 2280 Solid State Drive
Western-Digital WD10EZEX Blue 1TB 7200rpm SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive
Fractal Design FD-PSU-ION-SFX-500G-BK Ion SFX-L 500W 80 Plus Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX-L Desktop Power Supply
RCT Internal SATA 24x Super All-Write DVD Rewriter - OEM
Phanteks PH-NDC_02 Nano Diamond Compound Thermal Paste

View attachment 865819

Really decent upgrade kit, think the cpu is AF.
View attachment 865873

next month, I hope... upgrading from a i5 4570 3.2Ghz DDR3 system
It's been a good 7 years and still going strong.