The PC Build Thread

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
I can't recall where, but I did see a thing or spoke to a supplier who stated that some of the Evetech Dells were grey imports so warranty was potentially an issue. It's why I didn't jump on their special at the time. Not 100% of this, but worth asking about/keeping in mind.

I bought an XPS 13 from them in 2020, and they pulled a car dealership move where warranty started months before I bought the laptop.
I contacted Dell, sent them my invoice and they updated the warranty duration for me.

So it seems at least with the laptops from that time will have a Dell warranty.

Still, with their delivery and insurance fees I would buy elsewhere if possible.

carnagelan

Who else locally can i purchase a custom pc or just pc parts from other than evetech. I dont like all the reviews on hello peter.
I am in gauteng.

deesef

Expert Member
Who else locally can i purchase a custom pc or just pc parts from other than evetech. I dont like all the reviews on hello peter.
I am in gauteng.
COMX. You can pick up ordered items in Centurion if you prefer that to courier...

rvZA

Honorary Master
Off topic guys, if you see asus tuff 3090ti for sale in cpt do not buy it, it was stolen out of guys hands yesterday. Guy looked at the card and just ran off, but he does not have 12pin power cable to be able to run the card

F0k my! Skelm moer!

e4et

Expert Member
Off topic guys, if you see asus tuff 3090ti for sale in cpt do not buy it, it was stolen out of guys hands yesterday. Guy looked at the card and just ran off, but he does not have 12pin power cable to be able to run the card

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
I've been meaning to give an update on my upgrade for a while now but life has been too busy and haven't had much time to gauge gaming performance in Dying Light 2 (the main catalyst for my upgrade). I am still using my GTX 1080 and upgraded from an i7-4790 with 16GB DDR3 RAM to an i5-12400 with 32GB DDR4, ended up spending R13,501 (vat inclusive) on the following mid-March (vat exclusive prices below):

1656724655287.png

Very happy with how the machine performs for gaming and general speed improvement of everything. For Dying Light 2 as I didn't do proper benchmarking, I can only report back somewhat subjectively on how it runs now. The weird stuttering and general feeling of the game struggling when things got hectic went away after the upgrade. Just before the upgrade I reinstalled Windows 10 on my i7-4790 setup but that didn't get rid of the performance issues encountered.

Frame rate improvement after this upgrade was just a small boost initially (as was expected). This was difficult to gauge due to using different monitors (60hz vs 144hz and 1080p vs 1440p) and playing in different areas of the game (when I first got the game) in co-op mode that I hadn't unlocked on my own yet. In the first section of the game (pre-paragliding) at 1080p medium detail settings and FSR set to ultra-quality I have been getting over 80 FPS and GPU at 99% utilisation and CPU 40-50%.

Looking back at a post of mine back in February (pre-upgrade) my GPU utilisation was 76% and CPU was 86% (on the i7-4790), running in 1440p where I set the scaling mode to Performance (i can't remember if I had it on FSR or the in-game linear scaling).
In any event, with my new rig I've now reached the next section of the game where one starts paragliding and my FPS started taking a huge knock, FPS dropped to mid-fifties and barely any improvement when setting the FSR scaling to Performance mode. I mentioned to my friend perhaps that GPU upgrade is going to be required sooner rather than later...

Now I knew FSR 2.0 was coming but it was just a matter of when more games would support it. I had bookmarked the one thread on FSR 2.0 in the Steam forums but wasn't checking it religiously, I see they posted an update on it 13 hours ago but I only saw that post after my friend gave me the following link for the article on installing it.

I've installed it and its a game changer, the level of detail has been massively improved and my FPS are now around 100 FPS!

Last edited:

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
Any advice on after market coolers for the i5-12400? I seem to be running quite hot, this is most noticeable and problematic when using the FSR 2.0 mod I installed for dying light 2, I am hitting 100 degrees despite only 55% cpu utilisation. When I limit my FPS to 85 via RivaStatisticsTuner then the temp stays in the low eighties.

The DeepCool AK400 seems like the one to go for based on Gamers Nexus' recommendation and the price is not too painful at R649 via EveTech. Any other suggestions? Is there anything that doesn't require a mounting bracket on the motherboard?

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Any advice on after market coolers for the i5-12400? I seem to be running quite hot, this is most noticeable and problematic when using the FSR 2.0 mod I installed for dying light 2, I am hitting 100 degrees despite only 55% cpu utilisation. When I limit my FPS to 85 via RivaStatisticsTuner then the temp stays in the low eighties.

The DeepCool AK400 seems like the one to go for based on Gamers Nexus' recommendation and the price is not too painful at R649 via EveTech. Any other suggestions? Is there anything that doesn't require a mounting bracket on the motherboard?
If you're getting that hot then you have a problem. My guess is your cooler isn't mounted properly on your CPU. - I'd try remount it with fresh thermal paste first, before spending any money.

Otherwise, what's your case fan setup?

Gamers Nexus just reviewed the AK400 and it did well overall, especially at the price.

Other options would be a Hyper 212 or a Scythe Fuma 2.

They will likely all use a mounting bracket, but it comes with the cooler so not an issue.

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
If you're getting that hot then you have a problem. My guess is your cooler isn't mounted properly on your CPU. - I'd try remount it with fresh thermal paste first, before spending any money.

Otherwise, what's your case fan setup?

Gamers Nexus just reviewed the AK400 and it did well overall, especially at the price.

Other options would be a Hyper 212 or a Scythe Fuma 2.

They will likely all use a mounting bracket, but it comes with the cooler so not an issue.
Thanks, Rectron built this PC :unsure:
I will get some paste and trying re-pasting it then, though if I do just take out the stock cooler and install the AK400 then at least I'd get better and quieter cooling. The stock cooler is quite loud lately!

I have the Corsair 100R with 2 of the below fans installed as intake fans and 1 of them as an exhaust fan to vent air out the top, and then the 1 exhaust fan at the back of the case that came with the case.

1657041725504.png

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Thanks, Rectron built this PC :unsure:
I will get some paste and trying re-pasting it then, though if I do just take out the stock cooler and install the AK400 then at least I'd get better and quieter cooling. The stock cooler is quite loud lately!

I have the Corsair 100R with 2 of the below fans installed as intake fans and 1 of them as an exhaust fan to vent air out the top, and then the 1 exhaust fan at the back of the case that came with the case.

View attachment 1341122
That case is a little closed off, but shouldn't be causing the issues you're having. One other thing to check is the fan profiles, they may be mapped stupidly, never getting above 50% or something silly even when the PC is running hot.

A better cooler would be a good idea regardless, but that CPU cooler is designed to keep the CPU in line, even if it is a little hot. 100' C is cooking though so something is wrong.

furpile

Expert Member

What are you checking the temperatures with? Just double check with a few different tools to confirm. Had a similar problem where HWInfo have the wrong voltages for the PSU, but another tool gave the correct voltages.

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
What are you checking the temperatures with? Just double check with a few different tools to confirm. Had a similar problem where HWInfo have the wrong voltages for the PSU, but another tool gave the correct voltages.
I'm using CPUID HWMonitor, what was the other tool you used? The below current values outlined in blue are my idling temps after having exited dying light 2 5 minutes ago.

1657059184491.png

furpile

Expert Member
I'm using CPUID HWMonitor, what was the other tool you used? The below current values outlined in blue are my idling temps after having exited dying light 2 5 minutes ago.

View attachment 1341248
If the temps are dropping that much in 5 minutes you likely have a thermal paste problem. Do you notice throttling performance in game?

Try HWInfo as well, it reports extra information as well, such as thermal throttling of cores etc.

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
If the temps are dropping that much in 5 minutes you likely have a thermal paste problem. Do you notice throttling performance in game?

Try HWInfo as well, it reports extra information as well, such as thermal throttling of cores etc.
I haven't noticed performance throttling. Since putting the frame rate limit of 85 FPS on, it's mostly staying under 90 degrees in DL2.
Will try HWInfo then.

I'll find out if Rectron should be repasting the HS&cooler as they built the PC and I don't have any paste, so I would need to order some or might as well just get a new cooler.