The RC Car hobby thread

RaptorSA

Expert Member
I thought I'd create a thread where those who are might want to share a few pictures etc. or just chat about the sport.

I know it comes to RC Hobbies these days the vast majority of RC enthusiasts are likely into Quadcopters and I almost did the same, but a few months ago I bought an electric RC Car and never looked back.
Is anyone here into the Hobby?
What setup do you have and do you take it seriously or are you (like me) juts really enjoying the hell out of modding and messing around?

The first thing I did was decide on the platform I wanted (2WD vs. 4WD, electric vs. Nitro etc.)... so I bought a 2WD Brushless HiSpeed (HSP).... it was definitely the right choice.
Thinking it would last maybe a few days I bashed the crap out of it for 3 months before realizing just how insanely durable and fun even the cheap cars are.
I'm still in the process of upgrading my HSP when I get a chance and so far the only thing that I replaced was a pinion gear, a suspension arm in the front and it seems the cheap steering servo is crapping out so I'm planning to do an upgrade.
(oh, and I upgraded the idler gear to metal, special shout-out to the awesome service from https://www.speedster-hobby-shop.com in Vereeniging).
Here's a link to the car (I'm using an Australian site since they have the best info)

https://hobbiesdirect.com.au/HSP-110-Crusher-BL-2WD-Electric-Brushless-Off-Road-RTR-RC-Truck-94601PRO?search=HSP 2WD

I felt like I was starting to outgrow the HSP and with better skills came the need for more control and speed. So after a ton of research I weighed my options and came to the conclusion that I'm sticking to 2WD Brushless and that the Traxxas Rustler VXL would be a perfect platform for my driving style and location.
The problem is a new Rustler locally is about R7K, and it's hard to justify spending that kind of money if you could rather spend it on upgrading and messing with a cheaper car...
Then a week ago I found a guy selling off his Traxxas Rustler VXL Brushless with a crapload of parts on Olx.
I can't describe how insane that thing is, I've order a ton of upgrade parts from an online hobby store and can't wait to get it delivered next week. Interestingly enough, the second hand car and the insane amount of upgrades work out to exactly the cost of buying a new car.

https://hobbiesdirect.com.au/traxxas-110-rustler-vxl-electric-brushless-rc-stadium-truck-37076-3?search=Traxxas Rustler VXL

My plans for the future is to create a custom body for either the HSP or the Traxxas with Long-Range FPV Capabilities.
I've already managed to secure a RunCam 3 (they are awesome but were discontinued in the US due to possible lawsuit issues with GoPro over the design) that can do FPV while recoding at 1080P 60fps. https://oscarliang.com/runcam-3-hd-camera.
The challenges of getting a long range (2KM+) video and transmitter setup working are daunting but thanks to Youtube I know it can be done.

For now, it's suffice to say I adore this hobby.
P.S. I live in Randburg so if anyone wants to, I don't know, share their interests or know of a good place for bashing etc. let me know.
I came across an EPIC location in Roodepoort to do some bashing in an open area (inside the Kloofendal Nature Reserve), I'm planning a day out soon.

Kloofendal Nature Reserve (there's an epic plaform in front of an old "theater/stage" area that's perfect for a top-down view)
https://goo.gl/gKMCVd

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master
I've got a HSP Bronto, Xianing 926, a little HSP something or other, a JRC rockcrawler. I've still got to fix my Bronto as I cracked the suspension arm, I've not really raced it in over a year since :-(.
There used to be a little dirt bike track in Ruimsig I took my cars too, not sure if it still exists though.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
I've got a HSP Bronto, Xianing 926, a little HSP something or other, a JRC rockcrawler. I've still got to fix my Bronto as I cracked the suspension arm, I've not really raced it in over a year since :-(.
There used to be a little dirt bike track in Ruimsig I took my cars too, not sure if it still exists though.
Awesome thanks, I checked out the Dirt Bronco Raceway on Google and it looks awesome.
The nice thing about the Bronto is that there's a ton of aluminium upgrade parts for them on eBay etc.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Upgrade-Cars-Aluminium-Alloy-Parts-Set-CNC-Metal-Replacement-for-HSP-Monster/272914578060?hash=item3f8af9fa8c:m:m45LQXpFyh8OeMefTNxXB1w

I've ordered a lot of aluminium upgrade parts for my Traxxas but I'm trying not to goo to insane on the Aluminium by mixing it with upgraded plastic parts in between so the thing doesn't go *poof* completely when making a mistake.
I'm only running 2S LiPo batteries for now, I don't really want to go 3S since I know for a fact I'll destroy something... 11.1v on those Brushless motors opens a whole new can of worms. I'll consider getting a smaller capacity 3S in future just to see if I can get into the 70Mph Club (112kph)..maybe.... because, why not!? :p

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master
Awesome thanks, I checked out the Dirt Bronco Raceway on Google and it looks awesome.
The nice thing about the Bronto is that there's a ton of aluminium upgrade parts for them on eBay etc.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Upgrade-Cars-Aluminium-Alloy-Parts-Set-CNC-Metal-Replacement-for-HSP-Monster/272914578060?hash=item3f8af9fa8c:m:m45LQXpFyh8OeMefTNxXB1w

I've ordered a lot of aluminium upgrade parts for my Traxxas but I'm trying not to goo to insane on the Aluminium by mixing it with upgraded plastic parts in between so the thing doesn't go *poof* completely when making a mistake.
I'm only running 2S LiPo batteries for now, I don't really want to go 3S since I know for a fact I'll destroy something... 11.1v on those Brushless motors opens a whole new can of worms. I'll consider getting a smaller capacity 3S in future just to see if I can get into the 70Mph Club (112kph)..maybe.... because, why not!? :p
A friend's Traxxas evo hits 112kmh or thereabouts. His HSP buggy comes really close. I'm still on a brushed motor as it was only 2k

Lupus

Honorary Master
I've looked at the aluminum upgrade and I should've done that for the diff and the motor pinion as I've had to replace those a few times. My other little test one, I think the battery is going as it just doesn't pull right.

bratwurst

Expert Member
I have a Savage X and XL. Haven't played or worked on them over a year. Still want to get my hands on a Savage XL octane

Hectic

Executive Member
Used to race rc cars for a couple years as part of a very active club in Uitenhage. Used to be two active clubs in PE as well. Not sure if any of those are still running.

Edit:
This was many moons ago.
Probably 17 years or so.

handyman007

Planning to get into this, using my son as an excuse hehe. Where can I buy a car on a budget (just to test out) and what can I expect to pay?

RaptorSA

Expert Member
Planning to get into this, using my son as an excuse hehe. Where can I buy a car on a budget (just to test out) and what can I expect to pay?
I still love my HSP and I bought it from: http://www.rccarshop.co.za/offroad-electric-rc-cars/718-hsp-brontosaurus.html
+-R2300 is about the least you're going to get away with for a 1:10 (which is generally considered the best size for a reason)

It's cheap to fix with a lot of parts available locally.
It's really fast (About 55kph on 2S LiPo)
It's got a brushless motor (hands down better than brushed)
It's simpler than starting out with a 4x4 which has more stuff that can go wrong.
It's actually the same chassis as the HSP Mongoose Buggy.. so with some buggy wheels you can convert it if you're using it more on tarred surfaces or want something for sand.
The only upgrade part that I can highly recommend for it is the metal idler gear, available from the shop I mentioned in my OP.

Here's an "eyeballin' it" comparison I made between the HSP Buggy and Big Wheel truck.
I highly suggest getting the big wheel truck, it's easier to "downgrade" it to a buggy if you want to and they cost the same:
MongooseGrampus-Comparison.jpg

Last edited:

handyman007

I still love my HSP and I bought it from: http://www.rccarshop.co.za/offroad-electric-rc-cars/718-hsp-brontosaurus.html
+-R2300 is about the least you're going to get away with for a 1:10 (which is generally considered the best size for a reason)

It's actually the same chassis as the HSP Mongoose Buggy.. so with some buggy wheels you can convert it if you're using it more on tarred surfaces or want something for sand.
The only upgrade part that I can highly recommend for it is the metal idler gear, available from the shop I mentioned in my OP.
Thanks, appreciated.

justplain

Expert Member
I used to race competitively in my late teens and early twenties.
Had a Losi XX CR and raced Stock A classes.
There were two offroad tracks, one in Parow and one in the Helderberg (Strand/Somerset West area)
Saldy politics killed off the scene with too much fighting between club owners and drivers.
The tech has changed radically since I used to race. Much better batteries, brush-less motors etc.
I do miss it, it was great fun.

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master

It's simpler than starting out with a 4x4 which has more stuff that can go wrong.

Here's an "eyeballin' it" comparison I made between the HSP Buggy and Big Wheel truck.
I highly suggest getting the big wheel truck, it's easier to "downgrade" it to a buggy if you want to and they cost the same:
View attachment 501511
You can get the Brushed 4wd version for R2300 from rcedge in Randburg, it's the one I went and it's not quite as fast as the brushless but it's definitely better off road :)
There is also a cheapie 1/12th scale for about a grand called the WL-Toys 9115/9116 which I've got as my first one which is quite fun to play with.
You could jump the gun and go Traxxass E-VO for R15k

RaptorSA

Expert Member
You can get the Brushed 4wd version for R2300 from rcedge in Randburg, it's the one I went and it's not quite as fast as the brushless but it's definitely better off road :)
There is also a cheapie 1/12th scale for about a grand called the WL-Toys 9115/9116 which I've got as my first one which is quite fun to play with.
You could jump the gun and go Traxxass E-VO for R15k
I keep forgetting to check out rcedge, it's like 2KM for my place.
Have you ever been to their store? I want to test out some FPV Goggles and see what they have in store.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I keep forgetting to check out rcedge, it's like 2KM for my place.
Have you ever been to their store? I want to test out some FPV Goggles and see what they have in store.
Yup I've been, it's a bit dodgy when you first go in, as the bottom shop is a hunting shop so it's odd walking in and seeing some dead buck on the wall. But the RC side is fine, the owner is helpful as well.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
Yup I've been, it's a bit dodgy when you first go in, as the bottom shop is a hunting shop so it's odd walking in and seeing some dead buck on the wall. But the RC side is fine, the owner is helpful as well.
haha I remember that buck!
I actually kind-of know the place. Bought a compound bow from Potshot archery up the stairs a few years ago.
Had no idea there was an RC Shop too.

Lupus

Honorary Master
haha I remember that buck!
I actually kind-of know the place. Bought a compound bow from Potshot archery up the stairs a few years ago.
Had no idea there was an RC Shop too.
It's actually a part of the archery shop :)

RaptorSA

Expert Member
So here's some random pics of my builds.

With the used Rustler I bought I got a crapton of parts...
IMG_20180217_122856.jpg

So I disassembled the whole thing and rebuilt it to check if all is OK...
IMG_20180217_153942.jpg

Between all the old "junk" I bought from the previous owner there was also this really terrible looking body that looked like it was shat out by a Unicorn..
IMG_20180225_121108.jpg

So I refurbished it yesterday for what I call my "Traxxas Black Widow" build (going to be using it for a basher body)...
IMG_20180225_200632.jpg
IMG_20180225_202945.jpg
IMG_20180225_200646.jpg

RaptorSA

Expert Member
And this morning my new upgrade parts for my Black Widow build arrived from the U.S.
Going to stick with the black and red theme, can't wait to rebuild this thing... :)

IMG_20180226_094215.jpg

Team Associated Factory Team Aluminum 48P Pinion Gear (3.17mm Bore) (31T)
RPM Rear A-Arm Set (2) (Red)
RPM Front A-Arm Set (Red) (2)
RPM Gear Cover (Red)
RPM Rear Shock Tower
RPM Wide Front Bumper (Red) (Rustler, Stampede, Bandit)
ST Racing Concepts Aluminum Front Bulkhead (Silver)
ST Racing Concepts 6mm Heavy Duty Front Shock Tower (Red)
ST Racing Concepts Oversized Rear Hub Carrier w/Bearings (Red)
ST Racing Concepts Aluminum Shock Cap (Red) (4)
Traxxas L/R Aluminim Caster Blocks 30 Deg (Red)
Traxxas Gearbox Halves w/Idler Shaft (Gray)
Traxxas Lower Chassis - Black
Traxxas Upper Chassis (Gray)
Traxxas Fined Aluminum Motor Heat Sink (for trying out a 3S battery at some point)
Traxxas Heavy Duty Body Clips (12)
Traxxas 48P Spur Gear (76T) - Stock

Last edited:

Sepeng

Expert Member
Man your enthusiasm is infectious, looks really awesome.
Need to get me a hobby. One that at least includes the 4 year old - this could work.

Lupus

Honorary Master
And this morning my new upgrade parts for my Black Widow build arrived from the U.S.
Going to stick with the black and red theme, can't wait to rebuild this thing... :)

View attachment 502341

Team Associated Factory Team Aluminum 48P Pinion Gear (3.17mm Bore) (31T)
RPM Rear A-Arm Set (2) (Red)
RPM Front A-Arm Set (Red) (2)
RPM Gear Cover (Red)
RPM Rear Shock Tower
RPM Wide Front Bumper (Red) (Rustler, Stampede, Bandit)
ST Racing Concepts Aluminum Front Bulkhead (Silver)
ST Racing Concepts 6mm Heavy Duty Front Shock Tower (Red)
ST Racing Concepts Oversized Rear Hub Carrier w/Bearings (Red)
ST Racing Concepts Aluminum Shock Cap (Red) (4)
Traxxas L/R Aluminim Caster Blocks 30 Deg (Red)
Traxxas Gearbox Halves w/Idler Shaft (Gray)
Traxxas Lower Chassis - Black
Traxxas Upper Chassis (Gray)
Traxxas Fined Aluminum Motor Heat Sink (for trying out a 3S battery at some point)
Traxxas Heavy Duty Body Clips (12)
Traxxas 48P Spur Gear (76T) - Stock
Nice almost lulling me out my laziness to fix mine :)