The RC Car hobby thread

aagenbag2

Thanks! I'll make sure to get the metal idle gear.
Good to hear about it being waterproof - I'm in Cape Town, so obviously, after a 3 year drought, we would have heavy rains on the one weekend when I want to be outside! Can't complain too much though, we certainly need the rain. Lets see how things go, and I'll give feedback on Monday.

brianj74

Looking to buy a RC cart for my daughter (also fulfilling a gap from my childhood). I want to get something off road and upgradable instead of a toy shop special. So probably a brushed motor, 2wd, extra battery, spare steering rods.... Going to the model shop later today, any comments/ suggestions?

tcofran

Expert Member
Good afternoon MyBB,

I cant remember where i got this RC car, or parts of it for for that matter

Could anyone here maybe have a use for this ????? or must i just chuck it away ??????

I would rather get a new one, instead of trying to get this to work ..... If I decide to get a RC car

Free to a good home....

Cheers

T

20180617_135532.jpg20180617_135600.jpg20180617_135616.jpg

HunterNW

Executive Member
Good afternoon MyBB,

I cant remember where i got this RC car, or parts of it for for that matter

Could anyone here maybe have a use for this ????? or must i just chuck it away ??????

I would rather get a new one, instead of trying to get this to work ..... If I decide to get a RC car
Looks like a Tamiya T05 - I had one, you still get parts. What's wrong with it ?

Edit ... See it says T03 :D

tcofran

Expert Member
Looks like a Tamiya T05 - I had one, you still get parts. What's wrong with it ?

Edit ... See it says T03 :D
It's got no remote etc etc

It will probably work out the same to get a new (different) car than trying to fix this right ?

HunterNW

Executive Member
It's got no remote etc etc

It will probably work out the same to get a new (different) car than trying to fix this right ?
On facebook there's a couple of RC groups - Used to buy spares there. A remote and receiver would'nt be more than R500. Or - join one of the groups and sell it. Then get a new one :D

qscwbt

Expert Member
keep it, much cheaper to fix than a new one. Just a bit of work. If you really don't want it I will take it. However I strongly advise at keeping it.:) just fix her up.

tcofran

Expert Member
On facebook there's a couple of RC groups - Used to buy spares there. A remote and receiver would'nt be more than R500. Or - join one of the groups and sell it. Then get a new one :D
keep it, much cheaper to fix than a new one. Just a bit of work. If you really don't want it I will take it. However I strongly advise at keeping it.:) just fix her up.
OK, i'll bite :)

Any suggestions on where to start looking for spares etc will be appreciated guys

qscwbt

Expert Member
Find a hobby shop, drop it off there and they can fix her up for you.

aagenbag2

Thanks! I'll make sure to get the metal idle gear.
Good to hear about it being waterproof - I'm in Cape Town, so obviously, after a 3 year drought, we would have heavy rains on the one weekend when I want to be outside! Can't complain too much though, we certainly need the rain. Lets see how things go, and I'll give feedback on Monday.
So over the weekend I picked up the HSP, 1/10 scale 2WD truck with brushless motor and Lipo battery as recommended; and I couldn't be happier. Everything seems pretty solid (for the price, R2,500) and it is seriously fast. I feared that the 2WD might be hard to control, but so far it is not a problem at all (the slipper clutch might be a bit loose, so acceleration from a standstill is manageable). It handles grass and dirt quite well and I even did a few cautious jumps that it took in its stride. Maybe my opinion changes after a few weeks, but right now I would certainly recommend this model. The one minor niggle is that the rear wheels do seem to vibrate a lot at medium to high speeds (this is more visible when I am holding the truck in the air than when it is actually driving on the road). I checked and they are definitely not well balanced, so I removed all the wheels and put the best (most balanced) ones in the back and it is definitely better. But overall not a big problem.

Now the challenge is that my kids want to play with my car and not their little Foxx S911s!!

tcofran

Expert Member
Thanks for all the responses.

After i spoke to a few hobby shops they all sort of said that parts will be a problem, so i've donated it to a fellow MyBB member

RaptorSA

Expert Member
So over the weekend I picked up the HSP, 1/10 scale 2WD truck with brushless motor and Lipo battery as recommended; and I couldn't be happier. Everything seems pretty solid (for the price, R2,500) and it is seriously fast. I feared that the 2WD might be hard to control, but so far it is not a problem at all (the slipper clutch might be a bit loose, so acceleration from a standstill is manageable). It handles grass and dirt quite well and I even did a few cautious jumps that it took in its stride. Maybe my opinion changes after a few weeks, but right now I would certainly recommend this model. The one minor niggle is that the rear wheels do seem to vibrate a lot at medium to high speeds (this is more visible when I am holding the truck in the air than when it is actually driving on the road). I checked and they are definitely not well balanced, so I removed all the wheels and put the best (most balanced) ones in the back and it is definitely better. But overall not a big problem.

Now the challenge is that my kids want to play with my car and not their little Foxx S911s!!
Awesome man, I knew you'd love it.
Now, the part where you're never satisfied, spend money you don't have on more cars etc. while your kids suffer from scurvy and beg on the streets so they can bring back money that daddy uses to buy RC parts is another story...
:)