The RC Car hobby thread

aagenbag2

Awesome man, I knew you'd love it.
Now, the part where you're never satisfied, spend money you don't have on more cars etc. while your kids suffer from scurvy and beg on the streets so they can bring back money that daddy uses to buy RC parts is another story...
:)
So I have started learning some hard lessons. For one: When a small, fast car and a sidewalk meet head on, there is only one winner (and its not the car)! So far I have replaced a wheel, tyre, shock and front bumper at a total cost of R260. A bargain, considering that if this was a "toy" car, the whole thing would have gone into the trash. I'm really enjoying the hobby so far and its nice that parts are affordable - you can play around without constantly worrying about a little bit of damage.

Lupus

Honorary Master
So I have started learning some hard lessons. For one: When a small, fast car and a sidewalk meet head on, there is only one winner (and its not the car)! So far I have replaced a wheel, tyre, shock and front bumper at a total cost of R260. A bargain, considering that if this was a "toy" car, the whole thing would have gone into the trash. I'm really enjoying the hobby so far and its nice that parts are affordable - you can play around without constantly worrying about a little bit of damage.
The price of parts add up. My 1/10th Brontosaurus has been benched for about 8 months because I'm constantly changing parts. Recently it was the control arm and I've just left it for now.
Also batteries can get pricey as well

nickc

I used to race on-road electric in Durban from 2002 - 2006. I've just gotten back into the sport, but I've gone off-road 1/8 electric, as I found a track in Durban. Must say I'm enjoying the off-road, but still have an itch to get an on-road racer again.

Flame

The price of parts add up. My 1/10th Brontosaurus has been benched for about 8 months because I'm constantly changing parts. Recently it was the control arm and I've just left it for now.
Also batteries can get pricey as well
I just bought one also....but it looks diffrent from photos on box and websites. The dealer where i bought says its the new one...wondering if it has been improved maby...wheels are bigger it seems (118mm)

Any others with 1/10th brushless brontosaurus? (brushless)

Lupus

Honorary Master
I just bought one also....but it looks diffrent from photos on box and websites. The dealer where i bought says its the new one...wondering if it has been improved maby...wheels are bigger it seems (118mm)

Any others with 1/10th brushless brontosaurus? (brushless)
How does yours look? I still need to get the control arm, I've also become lazy on charging the batteries :-( I've got multiple chargers for multiple cars and to keep trying to find the chargers sigh. So my sons ones have been benched too which isn't fair on him

Daruk

Honorary Master
Is there any system that works over LAN/WiFi perhaps?
I’d love to build a car with mounted IR LEDs and camera to patrol my yard at night if I feel the need. My WiFi reach is pretty good all over.

If not I guess I could build it with raspberry pi. Could add a pepper spray cannon too for fun. Ideally it would handle all terrain.

I thought I'd create a thread where those who are might want to share a few pictures etc. or just chat about the sport.

I know it comes to RC Hobbies these days the vast majority of RC enthusiasts are likely into Quadcopters and I almost did the same, but a few months ago I bought an electric RC Car and never looked back.
Is anyone here into the Hobby?
What setup do you have and do you take it seriously or are you (like me) juts really enjoying the hell out of modding and messing around?

The first thing I did was decide on the platform I wanted (2WD vs. 4WD, electric vs. Nitro etc.)... so I bought a 2WD Brushless HiSpeed (HSP).... it was definitely the right choice.
Thinking it would last maybe a few days I bashed the crap out of it for 3 months before realizing just how insanely durable and fun even the cheap cars are.
I'm still in the process of upgrading my HSP when I get a chance and so far the only thing that I replaced was a pinion gear, a suspension arm in the front and it seems the cheap steering servo is crapping out so I'm planning to do an upgrade.
(oh, and I upgraded the idler gear to metal, special shout-out to the awesome service from https://www.speedster-hobby-shop.com in Vereeniging).
Here's a link to the car (I'm using an Australian site since they have the best info)

https://hobbiesdirect.com.au/HSP-110-Crusher-BL-2WD-Electric-Brushless-Off-Road-RTR-RC-Truck-94601PRO?search=HSP 2WD

I felt like I was starting to outgrow the HSP and with better skills came the need for more control and speed. So after a ton of research I weighed my options and came to the conclusion that I'm sticking to 2WD Brushless and that the Traxxas Rustler VXL would be a perfect platform for my driving style and location.
The problem is a new Rustler locally is about R7K, and it's hard to justify spending that kind of money if you could rather spend it on upgrading and messing with a cheaper car...
Then a week ago I found a guy selling off his Traxxas Rustler VXL Brushless with a crapload of parts on Olx.
I can't describe how insane that thing is, I've order a ton of upgrade parts from an online hobby store and can't wait to get it delivered next week. Interestingly enough, the second hand car and the insane amount of upgrades work out to exactly the cost of buying a new car.

https://hobbiesdirect.com.au/traxxas-110-rustler-vxl-electric-brushless-rc-stadium-truck-37076-3?search=Traxxas Rustler VXL

My plans for the future is to create a custom body for either the HSP or the Traxxas with Long-Range FPV Capabilities.
I've already managed to secure a RunCam 3 (they are awesome but were discontinued in the US due to possible lawsuit issues with GoPro over the design) that can do FPV while recoding at 1080P 60fps. https://oscarliang.com/runcam-3-hd-camera.
The challenges of getting a long range (2KM+) video and transmitter setup working are daunting but thanks to Youtube I know it can be done.

For now, it's suffice to say I adore this hobby.
P.S. I live in Randburg so if anyone wants to, I don't know, share their interests or know of a good place for bashing etc. let me know.
I came across an EPIC location in Roodepoort to do some bashing in an open area (inside the Kloofendal Nature Reserve), I'm planning a day out soon.

Kloofendal Nature Reserve (there's an epic plaform in front of an old "theater/stage" area that's perfect for a top-down view)
https://goo.gl/gKMCVd
Do you know of any clubs or groups? I'm in weltevreden park, got 3 rc cars. 2 off roads and one micro indoor HPI Q32. It would be nice to join a club or something.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Do you know of any clubs or groups? I'm in weltevreden park, got 3 rc cars. 2 off roads and one micro indoor HPI Q32. It would be nice to join a club or something.
Nope no club unfortunately :(. Even the area some of us used to go to is now a squatter camp.

blaaislaai

Executive Member
Anybody have recommendations to buy RC batteries online?

My Traxxas Stampede is in need of a new battery, 5000mah or more, 2S.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
Hey man, sorry for the late reply.
No clubs unfortunately, I just sometimes pack my gear and go to a few places in the area.
So far I hang around the BMX Track at "River Rampage Bike Track"
https://www.google.co.za/maps/place...fd89398f1ae50385!8m2!3d-26.034122!4d27.984011

Then there's the Kloofendal Nature Reserve that I visit frequently:
https://www.google.co.za/maps/place...2f7587cf1bcf30!8m2!3d-26.1281611!4d27.8801995

There's also quite a lot of open space for speedruns on grass at the Golden Harvest Park:
https://www.google.co.za/maps/place...042c19c378ce56!8m2!3d-26.0659546!4d27.9540648

We definitely need some kind of club or something, I'm starting to notice a pick up in the amount of people getting into RC's, I think the drone thing has started wearing thin on some people.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
It's a nature reserve :) you're not allowed RC cars there. Got scolded by security the last time.
Really? You running Nitros?
I've been there quite a few times. As long as I don't turn the parking area into a red dust cloud or start jumping off and over infrastructure I've never had any issues with security. Or it could just be me who's an a-hole and I ignore them... :)

Lupus

Honorary Master
Really? You running Nitros?
I've been there quite a few times. As long as I don't turn the parking area into a red dust cloud or start jumping off and over infrastructure I've never had any issues with security. Or it could just be me who's an a-hole and I ignore them... :)
Nah just electric and possibly :)

RaptorSA

Expert Member
I've added a Traxxas Slash 4x4 to the family with quite a few custom bits since I started with my Rustler a year or so ago.
Also built a stock Rustler from the parts I had left over, in fact, the stock Rusty has become one of my favorites since it's so light, cheap & easy to fix.

Attachments