The RC Car hobby thread

RaptorSA

Expert Member
A few hours? You mean about 45min to an hour and that's with a few batteries :). Then it's 3 to 4 hours of charging per a battery and of course as you've said repairs. Hell I took my Bronto just out in my garden and had to fix the drive train, cause a pebble got in.
haha! Funny you should mention that... I was actually pausing for a moment when I typed in the word "hours" because "minutes" just sounded off putting, as in "WTF am I doing with my life... and money" :p

Actually, I do run for hours some days but it does take some planning beforehand, plus a little customized mobile "repair" kit that I've honed in on over the past year or so based purely on the cars I have. The battery charging thing is an easy problem to solve, just buy one of these bad motherf**ers:
http://www.rcedge.co.za/index.php/chargers-2/sky-rc-d100-charger-detail

Two batteries charging at 10amps each and you'll be struggling to rip up enough dirt to keep up with the charger.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
So... I have a 1992 Tamiya Stadium Blitzer sitting in my garage.
https://tamiyabase.com/tamiya-models/58106

It worked the last time it was used, only thing I remember was the tie rod on the one side was bent or too short or something.
It has gone unused for about 15 years. Is there any point in Sprucing it up and selling it? Maybe new motor and batteries. Better controller?

It has a custom painted Sharks Rugby body.
Usually the answer with old 90's vehicles like yours is "NO"... but I've noticed a subtle rise in people valuing old RC's recently. In fact, not long ago I almost dropped R2.5K on an old 94' Traxxas Rustler pro racing kit a guy had sitting in his garage. The difference is it was still a proper composite chassis (can't remember the material) so if I were to upgrade it to a brushless system it would still have been a great buggy.

For Tamiya though, I have no idea. Looking at the images for yours I can definitely tell you that you'll be able to "modernize" it with say a 60 amp esc. and some brushless magic, but unless you really like customizing and building you might hate it. The issue with older models though is usually the plastic. Today's plastics are amazing, and in the case of companies like RPM plastics are actually better than something like aluminium. With older cars though the plastics are very brittle and since you won't easily find replacement parts it's usually a case of get it running and sell it off as a piece of nostalgia or spend a lot of time "modernizing" it just to have it break and be left in a **** in the garage.

P.S. It would make a great little project though and with today's tech its amazingly easy to turn almost anything into an amazing performing RC car. I'd actually suggest keeping it and buying a cheap 2nd hand HSP 2wd or 4wd alongside it if you're serious about resuscitating the hobby, that way you can get a new appreciation for how far we've come and what you might want to do with it in future from a nostalgic perspective.

Last edited:

Ares1000101

Usually the answer with old 90's vehicles like yours is "NO"... but I've noticed a subtle rise in people valuing old RC's recently. In fact, not long ago I almost dropped R2.5K on an old 94' Traxxas Rustler pro racing kit a guy had sitting in his garage. The difference is it was still a proper composite chassis (can't remember the material) so if I were to upgrade it to a brushless system it would still have been a great buggy.

For Tamiya though, I have no idea. Looking at the images for yours I can definitely tell you that you'll be able to "modernize" it with say a 60 amp esc. and some brushless magic, but unless you really like customizing and building you might hate it. The issue with older models though is usually the plastic. Today's plastics are amazing, and in the case of companies like RPM plastics are actually better than something like aluminium. With older cars though the plastics are very brittle and since you won't easily find replacement parts it's usually a case of get it running and sell it off as a piece of nostalgia or spend a lot of time "modernizing" it just to have it break and be left in a **** in the garage.

P.S. It would make a great little project though and with today's tech its amazingly easy to turn almost anything into an amazing performing RC car. I'd actually suggest keeping it and buying a cheap 2nd hand HSP 2wd or 4wd alongside it if you're serious about resuscitating the hobby, that way you can get a new appreciation for how far we've come and what you might want to do with it in future from a nostalgic perspective.
Thanks for your response.

I don't really want to start racing again. I just saw it the other day and thought that something must be done instead of throwing it away. Cos I need to make space in the garage.

So either sell as is or fix it a bit. Then again I don't have money for that this year.

I agree though it would be exciting to fix is as a project. And seeing how much better, faster and more powerful components have become!

RaptorSA

Expert Member
I have one of these, need to get new tyres and body I don’t mind destroying

The Ken Block "Hoonigan" channel on YT gets a shi*on of views.
Watching this, it'll be cool to do videos doing 1/10th scale vids where you replicate his stunts. Won't be easy of course since you need to find areas/environments that matches the original, but I can tell you now if you solved that and replicated the idea you could probably make a living off the advertising coming your way.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
Thanks for your response.

I don't really want to start racing again. I just saw it the other day and thought that something must be done instead of throwing it away. Cos I need to make space in the garage.

So either sell as is or fix it a bit. Then again I don't have money for that this year.

I agree though it would be exciting to fix is as a project. And seeing how much better, faster and more powerful components have become!
No problem man, I'd buy it from you but I wouldn't be able to offer anything that comes close to the nostalgic value you're likely attaching to it, due to the risks involved of course.

Reconsider the hobby however, that's all I can say. It really isn't what it used to be (boring & expensive). Sure, I'm biased so I can't really speak on my behalf, but take it from me when I say that I've actually met a lot of people and potential friends by just running the "new" stuff around our suffocated city slicker complex. In general most people are dying to focus their energy on something different than the day-to-day turmoil of work-home-eat-sh*t-sleep.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
Videos never do the scale justice but here's a road test of my favorite pair of tyres for the Slash 4x4, Louise MT-Rockets 2.2's... (They're about a 1/3rd of the price for new Traxxas tyres from the local Hobby Shop)

Ares1000101

No problem man, I'd buy it from you but I wouldn't be able to offer anything that comes close to the nostalgic value you're likely attaching to it, due to the risks involved of course.

Reconsider the hobby however, that's all I can say. It really isn't what it used to be (boring & expensive). Sure, I'm biased so I can't really speak on my behalf, but take it from me when I say that I've actually met a lot of people and potential friends by just running the "new" stuff around our suffocated city slicker complex. In general most people are dying to focus their energy on something different than the day-to-day turmoil of work-home-eat-sh*t-sleep.
It would be fun to play on weekends, but I don't think it would be a lasting hobby.
And the thing with me is, if I put too much thought into RC, I will wake up next week with R10k dropped on my cc, and a new top of the range setup sitting in my lounge.

Lupus

Honorary Master
It would be fun to play on weekends, but I don't think it would be a lasting hobby.
And the thing with me is, if I put too much thought into RC, I will wake up next week with R10k dropped on my cc, and a new top of the range setup sitting in my lounge.
10k unfortunately won't buy you a top of the range setup :-( an okay mid range though

So I spoke to the guy at B&B Importers where I get all my stuff. I was interested because he had some Team Associated buggy kits that he was getting ready to roll out. Those things look amazing. I think spec. buggy racing where you really start getting into proper setups... toe, camber, shock oil weight, motor turn adjustments etc. must be a shartload of fun.

Apparently there's an epic racing club known as the SuperBowl where they do dirt and carpet racing etc. They have a few classes you can compete in. The problem is the damn track is in Benoni :crying:

https://www.sarda-rc.org/clubs/rc-superbowl-rcsb/
https://www.facebook.com/RC.Superbowl/

I really wish there was something closer. The BMX Track at Jukskei Park would be a perfect spot for setting up a dirt track, there's tons more unused space and you don't need a lot. Wish I knew how to start/run something like this so we could get some people in the Randburg/Roodepoort/JHB area involved, I just don't know enough about the sport. Apparently 10th scale carpet buggy racing is now the preferred "in thing", which sounds great to me. I can see why dirt racing becomes too cumbersome for some, a few hours of fun for a full day of cleaning & rebuilding probably isn't too accessible for most people's schedules.
For some reason I don't get email notifications. I'm not sure how to send an inbox message here. Can you inbox me and I'll give you my cell phone number. Then you can whatsapp me next time?

Damn, benoni is so far! Sucks. 2 days ago I bought a 1:10th HPI touring car (porsche 911 turbo body). A carpet track would be awesome! Bought and installed ansmann drift wheels this morning too from rcedge.co.za

Maybe if we can get like 5 RC enthusiasts together we can start something on this side of the world.

But please do inbox me. I'm so keen to get out with my offroad cars!

Apparently there's an on road track at key west shopping mall? As soon as I've learned to drift a bit better I'm gonna go check it out.