The SA Post Office is truly delusional

Daruk

Honorary Master
I wanted to send a parcel to Stellenbosch via Speed Services counter to counter. I was at the PO at 1 pm, they couldn't guarantee delivery before Tuesday.
This has nothing to do with the PO wanting to be the best at anything, it's yet another ANC racket IMO.

moklet

Expert Member
I run a small eCommerce business maybe 5 shipments a week and noway would I even consider sapo. I can have parcels picked up in the afternoon and delivered before 11:00 the next morning in any major city.

sapo is probably still licking the stamps to put on the parcel after they have checked its contents

netcruiser

Just received an item two months after it was posted in the same city.

It is just not workable to post anything important through the PO at the moment.

cavedog

Honorary Master
So far I have had a 100% delivery rate with SAPO for all China parcels. I have ordered a lot of stuff even phones. The ONLY problem is the time it takes to deliver. 3 months+ and then the international tracking number gets disabled and you can't track it anymore so you wait for a SMS from SAPO and when you get the SMS you find the parcel has been laying at the post office for like 2 to 3 weeks already.

Just poor service overall but actual delivery they come through surprisingly.

ponder

Honorary Master
If sapo went back to apartheid days level of service it would be a MASSIVE improvement and that says a lot.

Swa

Honorary Master
Well most stores actually have other reasons for not using SAPO as they get preferential rates from their couriers. Fine and well but then they should offer us an alternative. I've never had problems with parcels from Loot or any other shop. You can't really compare it to international parcels.

If sapo went back to apartheid days level of service it would be a MASSIVE improvement and that says a lot.
Maybe this is what black people mean when they say it was better under apartheid.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
If I ordered a component from Rebel Tech and they shipped with SAPO, something newer would either have released or be around the corner by the time I received it.

I signed up to WIRED magazine to get a free YubiKey 4 in May last year. I received the gadget in January. A $1 watch from Wish arrived last year sometime, long after I'd forgotten about ordering it. I checked my email records at the time and the order had been placed almost a year prior.

Last edited:

JoE

It takes less than a month from Ali Express to get here then circles the SAPO drain for 2 months minimum before you get it then they charge you a service fee on top of that. They should first focus on doing their primary job efficiently or lose all their jobs by becoming irrelevant.

Jase

Expert Member
I ordered something small from Hong Kong. It left HK on the 26/2. Firstly I doubt I'll see the item and secondly if by some miracle it does arrive, I expect it later this year (optimistically).