FiestaST
Honorary Master
MotorMatters special test of the Hilux GR Sport
South Africa’s biggest forum. Discuss, discover, and connect with thousands of members.
Interesting idea.... I wonder what that will do to the secondhand values of the newer generations?Hilux ‘Quest’ – Would you buy a brand-new ‘old’ Toyota bakkie?
As bakkies become increasingly sophisticated – and therefore, pricier – the demand for more affordable new double-cab bakkies will only increase. Chinese manufacturers’ models offer one solution, but another one might come from within South Africa…
New vehicle affordability is an issue. That’s obvious. South Africans aren’t getting wealthier and their disposable spend is constrained. But the strange thing is that South Africa’s best-selling vehicle isn’t entry-level or particularly affordable – at all.
That’s because there is no such thing as a cheap Toyota Hilux. When you are priced out of budget for the current 8th-gen Hilux, you’ll find that 7th-gen Hiluxes, even those that have racked up huge mileages, command high prices. But the bakkie market might be due for reshaping, with old becoming… new.
![]()
What if Toyota built a new 'old Hilux' in SA?
Imagine if Toyota did with the Hilux what Volkswagen does with Polo? A new 'old' continuation Hilux double-cab bakkies, anyone?www.cars.co.za
It is a very interesting idea for Hilux yes, it would be uncharted territory for Hilux.Interesting idea.... I wonder what that will do to the secondhand values of the newer generations?
I Know a lot of the early Chinese ones were actually built in Chinese factories with old tooling bought from Isuzu.if you think about it, those Chinese Bakkies are essentially what?
Old Hiluxes with a Different Paintjob and some weird styling.
I bet the parts even fit, things like plugs and air filters from a Hilux, so again, if you pick a Chinese bakkie make sure its a good copy and not a bad copy.
my point exactly, who knows if its still done today.I Know a lot of the early Chinese ones were actually built in Chinese factories with old tooling bought from Isuzu.
Might be just me, but I would prefer a new Hilux "Quest" over a 4 year old > 120k kms 2.8GD..... guess it depends on why you want a bakkie. If it's to look rich you will likely want the fancy one...It is a very interesting idea for Hilux yes, it would be uncharted territory for Hilux.
WRT 2nd hand values it would be very challenging to guesstimate, I suppose with how the old new model is implemented (price vs what is stripped out) would play a big part.
I think this is being down the cost of a 2nd hand Hilux with poverty specs because it will be no better than the Hilux Quest in terms of specs but will have higher mileage. Toyota hardly has much luxuries so the Hilux Quest can’t be that much of a downgrade.It is a very interesting idea for Hilux yes, it would be uncharted territory for Hilux.
WRT 2nd hand values it would be very challenging to guesstimate, I suppose with how the old new model is implemented (price vs what is stripped out) would play a big part.
Fair point, how a Quest Hilux is actually implemented will be the acid test & market forces will dictate how it plays out.I think this is being down the cost of a 2nd hand Hilux with poverty specs because it will be no better than the Hilux Quest in terms of specs but will have higher mileage. Toyota hardly has much luxuries so the Hilux Quest can’t be that much of a downgrade.