The world's most common password

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
The world's most common password

If you use “123456”, “password” or “qwerty” as a password, you’re probably aware that you’re leaving yourself vulnerable to hackers. But you’re also not alone – these are three of the top ten most common passwords around the world, according to a new report.

In partnership with independent researchers, password management service NordPass compiled millions of passwords into a dataset to determine the 200 most commonly used passwords around the world in 2021.

They analysed the data and presented results across 50 countries, looking at how popular various choices were in different parts of the world. They also looked at password trends by gender.

saor

Honorary Master
Most important sites force/prompt you to create a password with certain character distributions...are these common passwords just for muffinbakers.com or whatever inconsequential websites?

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Most important sites force/prompt you to create a password with certain character distributions...are these common passwords just for muffinbakers.com or whatever inconsequential websites?
What's wrong with muffinbakers.com? Some yummy stuff there

Aquila ka Hecate

Executive Member
At no.10 for South Africa was "chregan".
I thought wtf and googled it:
Chregan O'Flynn Design is a cape town based web design, pc sales and repair company offering great prices and even better service.
:ROFL:

• Haha
Reactions: BBC

Norrad

Expert Member
Or you can be like half of MyBB and who thought that modding no. 5 into "p@55w0rD" was being smart.

Kawak

Expert Member
Getting clients to actually "password" stuff is a real challenge. Policy change to 8 char long, 12345678. Must have a character, 1234567a or a1234567, and then, it's 123456a#, if one actually enforce a stricter rule, be prepared to reset user passwords all day long.

The Jam

Honorary Master
Probably this.

SAguy

Executive Member
People should be encouraged to use passphrases instead, like minimum 15 characters but no special character requirements. My new mybb password would 'iwantafknmybbhoodie'

Vis1/0N

Expert Member
I really don't care enough for your site or my account to use a secure password. I save those where needed.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
People should be encouraged to use passphrases instead, like minimum 15 characters but no special character requirements. My new mybb password would 'iwantafknmybbhoodie'
amen
password_strength.png

mojoman

Expert Member
Everytimne this crap comes out I have to go and change passwords again...

mibloem

Ok, this is no longer on the users but on the websites.

Implementing a blocklist of banned passwords is dead simple.

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
Hah,my password is safe
Since I don't use a QWERTY but AZERTY keyboard
1637568698534.png