The ZAR Exchange Rate Thread

d0b33

Honorary Master
We are part of the Commonwealth now, but the British monarch is no longer our head of state.

The NP used a few tricks to pass the Republic referendum.
I meant having HM the Queen as our head of state!

krycor

Honorary Master
US stock crash/correction coming.. just not sure that will do for rand.. last for around 2008/9 was followed by printing press but this one they did that 1st due to pandemic.

Gonna be interesting to see how this plays out. It’s like the bases are loaded and we waiting to see how the dice land.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
US stock crash/correction coming.. just not sure that will do for rand.. last for around 2008/9 was followed by printing press but this one they did that 1st due to pandemic.

Gonna be interesting to see how this plays out. It’s like the bases are loaded and we waiting to see how the dice land.
Completely disagree there, market did better than expected, unemployment claims in the US are going down, etc., don't think we'll see anything until a small bubble burst around Q3 probs as people will over invest as gains were too high and then freak out and sell a bit, don't think it will be 2008 level.

Rand will probably weaken a bit, but think internal politics due to election year will be more impactful this year probably.

John Tempus

Executive Member
Yup it does :-( welcome to the volatile rand.

I think this one coincide exactly with new lockdown 4. Investors getting tired, dumping the Rand now seeing things are likely not to improve anytime soon if at all.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Every time I have to pay an overseas invoice, it tanks. So I think it's me. Sorry guys.
Mind holding off on paying the next overseas invoice for a week? :p

On a more serious note, news of the day (16th June) when change happened:
Equity markets continued their upward trend last week. Global equities gained another 0.5% and are now up around 13% since the start of the year. The continuing gains, despite now being in traditionally the weakest time of the year for equities, can be largely put down to the bond markets.

10-year US Treasury yields fell 0.10% last week to 1.47% and are now down 0.30% from the high touched in late March following their spike higher in the first quarter. The recent decline is sizeable, particularly relative to the low level of yields, but the real surprise is that it has occurred despite the latest inflation news.