The Zuma cabinet: An interpretation

NameOfBeast

Paul Trewhela and Stan Uys write at politicsweb:
http://www.politicsweb.co.za/politicsweb/view/politicsweb/en/page71619?oid=129488&sn=Detail

Is South Africa headed for a left-wing, state-controlled (statist) economy, because the orthodox market-orientated economy that Thabo Mbeki set in stone in previous ANC governments has failed to reduce black poverty?

With so many Communists in control of economic departments, the SACP realises that this is a unique chance to capture real control of the country's government. (The M&G notes that "Countrywide the SACP has 99 legislators, 37 in the National Assembly".) Zuma, too, knows he has to tread carefully to restrain this powerful nucleus in government, so as not to frighten the horses in the corporate world. But he is skilled at playing tactical games. Repeatedly, he has said of South Africa's macro-economic policies: "Nothing will change." Repeatedly, Cosatu has retorted: "Everything will change."

The view of this article is that the ANC fairly soon will begin to dismantle Mbeki's macro-economic programme of Growth, Employment and Reconstruction (GEAR). Cosatu and the SACP are running out of time. The masses of the impoverished - the great majority of them black - are becoming impatient, and outbreaks, often violent, occur in the townships. Promised relief from poverty by the Zuma election campaign, they want that promise to be kept now. Zuma's backers may have no choice than to go for the jugular now instead of later.

forumaddict

Maybe things are not so bad.

I have been thinking deeply about the whole Zuma debate and I truly believe that Mr. Zuma will do a better job than we give him credit for.

The so-called communists are not real communists, they are no more than staunch unionists. They are not fighting to dominate society into following communism, they are pretty much stuck, fighting for workers rights and issues regarding workers.

Cosatu, seems to be pretty vocal in demanding a better deal for consumers, so maybe its not that all that bad.

I saw a pretty refreshing site this morning called whites4zuma.co.za . I could not believe it when I saw it, but when I read what its all about, its pretty interesting and offers a nice positive viewpoint.

I am of the opinion that there is so much attention on Zuma that he will be more motivated to prove everybody wrong. The sign of a good leader is being able to get your subordinates to enthisiastically follow your directions.... and JZ seems to be doing just that.

We wait and see and hope that it all works out fine.

grayston

Expert Member
I saw a pretty refreshing site this morning called whites4zuma.co.za . I could not believe it when I saw it, but when I read what its all about, its pretty interesting and offers a nice positive viewpoint.

Uhh - No, F-CK that. I am not against Zuma because of the colour of my skin (or the colour of his).

Obviously I would love for the guy to do a good job, and I am pleasantly surprised by some of the things he's been doing lately. But that doesn't make it all good.

The man is either clueless or evil. Either way, it's going to bite him (and therefore us) in the ass bigtime.

forumaddict

Something to prove

Do you not think that JZ has something to prove and that he is going to be more determined to achieve his mandate.

Also, he is under tremendous scrutiny.

forumaddict

Lets just hope that he cracks the whip

Well boys, lets just hope that he cracks the whip and ushers in a new era.

The more people that can be inspired and uplifted, the better it is for everybody.

I have been following the Zuma groups on Facebook and they have all ended up a nasty mudslinging match, with people insulting each other and fighting.

I was pleasently surprised when I read through www.whites4zuma.co.za

Its still very early to make any decisions, but in my opinion, most politicians are scumbags anyway - one that may actually have the right intent and the right motivation (stay out of jail..lol) might be just what we need.

I am the moer in about the abuse of AA and BEE, so it will take along time for me to drop my guard.

Cheers

captainwifi

I don't think so look at the rand hit R7,66 today! Any stunts from Zuma and solomon smith barney the rating agencies that visit zuma personally and discuss SA while having some tea , will leak that SA is going communist , Rand hits R11, R12 -..... banana republic. No, this won't happen, another view is that Zuma is poaching the top leadership of SACP like Ebrahim patel, Jeremy Cronin to crush the SACP, Cosato. just Vavi who was given a chance to jump ship doesn't know what is going on .

Why was Mbeki so frantic that Zuma not become president? Afterall it was Zuma who stopped the expropriation bill that Mbeki tried to ram through, Zuma stopped the attempt at making our Professional engineering status worthless, the anc tried to have the minister decide who becomes a PR engineer. Everything so far Zuma has done right, not make outrageous statements( health thing we will see what happens) ...

Last edited:

forumaddict

How will we ever know ?

That my friends is the eternal question, but will we ever find out.... I doubt it.

I have resolved myself to kinda enjoying the new found enthusiasm and sense of hope, among my countrymen - and then watching to see if the Zunami, fullfills the mandate that he has set for himself. So-far, So Good.

I know a few people that know him, and they all vouch for him. These are people that I greatly admire, so I dont take their judgments lightly.

I am more interested in the future, than in the past.

Have a good day !!

JZ's ANC, 'cleaning up' the mess of the Mbeki ANC. Its STILL the ANC. Because, as they say, the party is a 'collective' and not run by one person. Which is true, because, JZ is merely a puppet for his masters in Lithuli house. Which, is even more racist than BEE, because the Lithuli house masters, dont have 'quota's implied on them to represent all South Africans. Getting so gatvol with the ANf***ingC.

As with regards to 'giving JZ a chance'. The man, is without a doubt, guilty of corruption. JZ said, he was 'smallfry' in the armsdeal corruption. The truth is, Yengeni was smallfry. Doesnt matter, because the armsdeal, and everything else related to it, has been swept under the carpet.

I cannot accept somebody like that, as 'my president'.
Motlanthe, or Phosa, would have made far superior choices.

The CRAP thing, about JZ, is that, the people of South Africa didnt pick him, the 4000 polokwane cadres picked him.