Things that irritate you.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Security guards" at booms on public roads who think the have authority to stop people, ask them where they are going, and then want you to fill on a register.

Ignorant *****

This is a pretty stupid post. You are the ignorant prick here. They are under instruction from an employer. One does not even need to think about this to realize this.
 
"Security guards" at booms on public roads who think the have authority to stop people, ask them where they are going, and then want you to fill on a register.

Ignorant *****

Things that irritate me:


Posts like these
 
Why exactly?

"Security guards" at booms on public roads who think the have authority to stop people, ask them where they are going, and then want you to fill on a register.

Ignorant *****


This is a pretty stupid post. You are the ignorant prick here. They are under instruction from an employer. One does not even need to think about this to realize this.

Oh, I see. Its the usual MyBB "I don't agree with your opinion so I will insult you" reply.

No problem...
 
Oh, I see. Its the usual MyBB "I don't agree with your opinion so I will insult you" reply.

No problem...

Did you not insult the security guy who simply followed the procedure of the job that feeds his family ?
 
Did you not insult the security guy who simply followed the procedure of the job that feeds his family ?

It's like shouting at a cashier about the price of rump steak.

Fair enough...I'll take that on the chin.

But I did ask him 3 times to please open the boom as I am dropping something off. He chose to not open the boom and insisted I give my cell number, name, and address where I was going. I refused and explained that what he was doing by stopping me and asking for is unlawful and he has no authority to do so. I then said to him to either open the boom or phone his supervisor, to which he just ignored me and told me "I must follow the rules". I asked him what rules were these, and he just turned away and ignored me. Then I was done being pleasant and polite.

The thing is that even though they are following instructions from their employers, as @Billy said, they are illegal and they have no authority to do so. All they are allowed to do is observe and call the police if they feel they must. They aren't allowed to stop you from entering the public road, they can't insist on asking for personal information, they can't really do anything.
 
Fair enough...I'll take that on the chin.

But I did ask him 3 times to please open the boom as I am dropping something off. He chose to not open the boom and insisted I give my cell number, name, and address where I was going. I refused and explained that what he was doing by stopping me and asking for is unlawful and he has no authority to do so. I then said to him to either open the boom or phone his supervisor, to which he just ignored me and told me "I must follow the rules". I asked him what rules were these, and he just turned away and ignored me. Then I was done being pleasant and polite.

The thing is that even though they are following instructions from their employers, as @Billy said, they are illegal and they have no authority to do so. All they are allowed to do is observe and call the police if they feel they must. They aren't allowed to stop you from entering the public road, they can't insist on asking for personal information, they can't really do anything.

Still being a d00s. Did you think about taking on the people who you were visiting?
 
Fair enough...I'll take that on the chin.

But I did ask him 3 times to please open the boom as I am dropping something off. He chose to not open the boom and insisted I give my cell number, name, and address where I was going. I refused and explained that what he was doing by stopping me and asking for is unlawful and he has no authority to do so. I then said to him to either open the boom or phone his supervisor, to which he just ignored me and told me "I must follow the rules". I asked him what rules were these, and he just turned away and ignored me. Then I was done being pleasant and polite.

The thing is that even though they are following instructions from their employers, as @Billy said, they are illegal and they have no authority to do so. All they are allowed to do is observe and call the police if they feel they must. They aren't allowed to stop you from entering the public road, they can't insist on asking for personal information, they can't really do anything.

Still being a d00s. Did you think about taking on the people who you were visiting?
 
Still being a d00s. Did you think about taking on the people who you were visiting?

Nah, i spoke to him nicely, I explained why I won't give him details, I then said he can either let me in or call supervisor and he decided to turn away and ignore me. He deserved what he got frankly.

They are getting me a sticker or something to show them next time.
 
Nah, i spoke to him nicely, I explained why I won't give him details, I then said he can either let me in or call supervisor and he decided to turn away and ignore me. He deserved what he got frankly.

They are getting me a sticker or something to show them next time.

Do you want this guy to phone his supervisor for everyone that complains? It's already a schitty job without the likes of you and your entitlement complex. Are you seriously challenging this security guard with the legalities of him requesting your information? He does as he is told, and if you think you are notable enough to never have your presence documented, let his employers give him instruction. But I suppose you would not take the same tone with them as with him.
 
When people got zero info on something but they say "I'm not sure".
Not sure means you know a little and when you press them on the little they say I don't know.
 
Fair enough...I'll take that on the chin.

But I did ask him 3 times to please open the boom as I am dropping something off. He chose to not open the boom and insisted I give my cell number, name, and address where I was going. I refused and explained that what he was doing by stopping me and asking for is unlawful and he has no authority to do so. I then said to him to either open the boom or phone his supervisor, to which he just ignored me and told me "I must follow the rules". I asked him what rules were these, and he just turned away and ignored me. Then I was done being pleasant and polite.

The thing is that even though they are following instructions from their employers, as @Billy said, they are illegal and they have no authority to do so. All they are allowed to do is observe and call the police if they feel they must. They aren't allowed to stop you from entering the public road, they can't insist on asking for personal information, they can't really do anything.

What law exactly was he breaking?

Surely if this was an illegal practice the myriad of boomed off areas in and around Joburg would have been scrapped?

Also, as others have mentioned, the dude is just doing his job - I can't imagine what it must be like to have to deal with people like yourself and your misplaced superiority complexes...
 
Last edited:
What law exactly was he breaking?

Surely if this was an illegal practice the myriad of boomed off areas in and around Joburg would have been scrapped?

Also, as others have mentioned, the dude is just doing his job - I can't imagine what it must be like to have to deal with people like yourself and your misplaced superiority complexes...

Do you want this guy to phone his supervisor for everyone that complains? It's already a schitty job without the likes of you and your entitlement complex. Are you seriously challenging this security guard with the legalities of him requesting your information? He does as he is told, and if you think you are notable enough to never have your presence documented, let his employers give him instruction. But I suppose you would not take the same tone with them as with him.

Glad you asked, its part of the Gauteng Rationalisation of Local Government Affairs Act. Here a summary

  • Guards may only monitor and observe activity.
  • Guards may not search any vehicle or person.
  • No person or guard is permitted to deny any person or any vehicle access to or through any roads.
  • No person or guard is entitled to request or demand proof of identification or ask anyone to sign any register as a condition of access.
  • All pedestrian gates should be left accessible and not locked in any way 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
  • No motorised gates are allowed.
  • Guards must lift booms as soon as they see a vehicle approaching.

Yes, my entitlement complex to have access to public roads as defined in the various acts and legislation. But I must rather keep quiet and allow the person to do what he wants because "its his job and he is following instruction".
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X