Things that irritate you.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm, you know me...so this does not compute. You have CFO's and an HQ, but the "legal guy" has to use his credit card to pay a supplier?

The HQ takes like a week or two to process any invoice (even a parking ticket).

The CFO was in a plane for the next 12h and forgot to authorize the payment (we need two signatures to pay something) before leaving even though it was agreed verbally and wouldn't have made it before the end of the next business day (so 2 days delay).

The supplier was a consultant retaining an authorization necessary for a site activity and it was an amount that doesn't cause me trouble (and I knew I'd get refunded the next day).

The standing time would have cost way more than the 40k. My expenses run higher than this some months so I have a credit card dedicated to it as we're repaid at the end of the month, we've had too many business development guys abusing the corporate cards so no more corporate cards.
 
How does one "ninja edit"?
Change your post quickly before anyone has a chance to respond . So people either quote the previous post...or get 3 notifications for the same message , just an edited message.

Dunno whether he edited or deleted and reposted in this case

Like I did just now.


This wasn't there before
 
@f2wohf doing shady sht clearly :p

"No receipt, no invoice"

nah it's not that unusual - all my corporate expenses go through my personal cards (yay points)

There was an invoice obviously. But the auditor thought that the refund to me was a monthly bonus because there were no invoices in my name but in the company's name.
 
@f2wohf doing shady sht clearly :p

"No receipt, no invoice"

nah it's not that unusual - all my corporate expenses go through my personal cards (yay points)

Yes - your corporate expenses. Now, a supplier to a company is a creditor to such. You have bank details etc lined up. So, unless this is not shady (as you imply :) ), how do you zap R40k through to a supplier on a credit card? Surely the firm can do so?
 
The HQ takes like a week or two to process any invoice (even a parking ticket).

The CFO was in a plane for the next 12h and forgot to authorize the payment (we need two signatures to pay something) before leaving even though it was agreed verbally and wouldn't have made it before the end of the next business day (so 2 days delay).

The supplier was a consultant retaining an authorization necessary for a site activity and it was an amount that doesn't cause me trouble (and I knew I'd get refunded the next day).

The standing time would have cost way more than the 40k. My expenses run higher than this some months so I have a credit card dedicated to it as we're repaid at the end of the month, we've had too many business development guys abusing the corporate cards so no more corporate cards.

Hmm. Ok. Although how can your firm not pay an important supplier on time, yet you would be refunded next day?
 
Hmm. Ok. Although how can your firm not pay an important supplier on time, yet you would be refunded next day?

Because the HQ pays from HQ accounts and has 7h of time difference which doesn't help.

Here we pay from the local subsidiary which has "less" checks and balances.

If I had sent it to the HQ, it would have gone through HQ processes and taken a week easily.

To get repaid in SA, only the CFO and myself need to approve the payment so I loaded it and he approved it when he arrived.
 
The HQ takes like a week or two to process any invoice (even a parking ticket).

The CFO was in a plane for the next 12h and forgot to authorize the payment (we need two signatures to pay something) before leaving even though it was agreed verbally and wouldn't have made it before the end of the next business day (so 2 days delay).

The supplier was a consultant retaining an authorization necessary for a site activity and it was an amount that doesn't cause me trouble (and I knew I'd get refunded the next day).

The standing time would have cost way more than the 40k. My expenses run higher than this some months so I have a credit card dedicated to it as we're repaid at the end of the month, we've had too many business development guys abusing the corporate cards so no more corporate cards.

What do you mean by "standing time"? How would it have cost way more than R40k? How does the "legal guy" have a credit card for site activity?
 
To get repaid in SA, only the CFO and myself need to approve the payment so I loaded it and he approved it when he arrived.

So now you "loaded it" to be approved by the CFO, rather than just paying it from your credit card?
 
What do you mean by "standing time"? How would it have cost way more than R40k? How does the "legal guy" have a credit card for site activity?

Machines, contractors, labour were already on site waiting for this go ahead and we have to pay them for standing time where they cannot work. I follow site activities because the contracts managers and project managers call me in case we potentially incur variations or extra costs.

I don't have a credit card for site activities (or any corporate card), it's one of my credit cards related that I use purely for work expenses.

The project manager is a contractor so if he paid it himself, he wouldn't have been repaid as fast as me.
 
So now you "loaded it" to be approved by the CFO, rather than just paying it from your credit card?

Day 1: I pay with my credit card.
End of day 1: I load my refund on internet banking (where we need two approvals to make a payment).
Almost end of day 2: CFO has landed, gone to his hotel, logs into internet banking and validates the payment.
 
Day 1: I pay with my credit card.
End of day 1: I load my refund on internet banking (where we need two approvals to make a payment).
Almost end of day 2: CFO has landed, gone to his hotel, logs into internet banking and validates the payment.

Hmm. So, your company has a more efficient process of refunding you your credit card payments, than making direct payments to your suppliers through official business accounts.

If I was an auditor, I would drop your business like a hot potato.
 
Anyway, this still sounds all a bit to bizarre for me. As you were.
 
Machines, contractors, labour were already on site waiting for this go ahead and we have to pay them for standing time where they cannot work. I follow site activities because the contracts managers and project managers call me in case we potentially incur variations or extra costs.

I don't have a credit card for site activities (or any corporate card), it's one of my credit cards related that I use purely for work expenses.

The project manager is a contractor so if he paid it himself, he wouldn't have been repaid as fast as me.

So you have gone from a having to pay a consultant, to now paying operators on a building site? And you are the "legal guy"?

Bleh. Eks, you need to sharpen up your game dude!
 
Hmm. So, your company has a more efficient process of refunding you your credit card payments, than making direct payments to your suppliers through official business accounts.

If I was an auditor, I would drop your business like a hot potato.

Let me put the comparison:

Day 1: I pay with my credit card.
End of day 1: I load my refund on internet banking (where we need two approvals to make a payment).
Almost end of day 2: CFO has landed, gone to his hotel, logs into internet banking and validates the payment.
I was refunded the same day than the payment would have been made if I waited for him to make it.

Day1: CFO in plane.
Day 2: CFO arrives (country with +7h), go to his hotel, makes the payment maybe at 3pm SA time.
Day 3: Activity start on site.

Cranes, TLBs and concrete batch plants cost a fortune, even more so when immobilized and would have done nothing for part of day 1 and day 2 if I didn't intervene.
 
Let me put the comparison:

Day 1: I pay with my credit card.
End of day 1: I load my refund on internet banking (where we need two approvals to make a payment).
Almost end of day 2: CFO has landed, gone to his hotel, logs into internet banking and validates the payment.
I was refunded the same day than the payment would have been made if I waited for him to make it.

Day1: CFO in plane.
Day 2: CFO arrives (country with +7h), go to his hotel, makes the payment maybe at 3pm SA time.
Day 3: Activity start on site.

Cranes, TLBs and concrete batch plants cost a fortune, even more so when immobilized and would have done nothing for part of day 1 and day 2 if I didn't intervene.

Sure thing, Eks.
 
So you have gone from a having to pay a consultant, to now paying operators on a building site? And you are the "legal guy"?

Bleh. Eks, you need to sharpen up your game dude!

The guy I paid was a HSE consultant.

Without the documents signed by him, it's criminal for us to start works.

On the other hand, the contractors had the site handover that day and contractually were supposed to start working that day. If they don't work, we pay them for standing time (time for renting the machinery and the workers they have to pay to do nothing).

If I did not pay 40k to the HSE guys, the contractors and plant hire companies would have billed us in the hundreds of thousands for doing nothing.

I'm the head of legal so I was warned by the contract manager that we would get to pay for standing time if we did not pay to release the HSE documents.
 
The guy I paid was a HSE consultant.

Without the documents signed by him, it's criminal for us to start works.

On the other hand, the contractors had the site handover that day and contractually were supposed to start working that day. If they don't work, we pay them for standing time (time for renting the machinery and the workers they have to pay to do nothing).

If I did not pay 40k to the HSE guys, the contractors and plant hire companies would have billed us in the hundreds of thousands for doing nothing.

I'm the head of legal so I was warned by the contract manager that we would get to pay for standing time if we did not pay to release the HSE documents.

I must admit I am impressed with the research you do on various vocations and issues. Having said that, if it was so important, your "CFO" and HQ would not have been so unavailable, not so.
 
I must admit I am impressed with the research you do on various vocations and issues. Having said that, if it was so important, your "CFO" and HQ would not have been so unavailable, not so.

My HQ is as efficient as Telkom or Eskom to give you an idea, I would never stand working there. Luckily, our subsidiaries are much more flexible.

My CFO forgot, he usually doesn't but this time he was closing a lot of things before going and forgot that invoice and I thought it was settled so did not remind him until the contract manager did remind me and the CFO was already in the plane.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X