To Tripod or to TrySomething else ?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
When taking photos that require the camera to be stable for longer than normal (or what IS can cope with) do you use a tripod or something else?

Being a light traveler I have used all sorts of alternatives, like the ground or a wall or some other stationary object. Grass/Lawn is one of the more difficult surfaces to steady a camera on (especially when dealing with a sub 400g unit). For pitch I use the neck strap or lens cap - takes a bit of tweaking before you can take the photo but at least you don't have to carry a tripod around.

So then, what other creative alternatives have you ever used instead of a tripod - or is there no substitute for the real deal ?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I keep these in my camera bag

picture.php

The smaller one fits on any soft drink bottle turning it into a decent monopod.

IMG_1676.jpg

The one I use most often though is the heating pack bean bag I leave in my car.

I wouldnt say no to a gorilla pod though.

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
Between the Pod and Gorilla pod (both in combination with a timer) I have no problems. But then again, the Gitzo carbon fiber tripod has been worth every HKD I paid for it - it's very very light.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Sweet ! The bottle cap monopod is very clever and creative :p !
Cant take credit for the idea. I saw them selling them alongside the pod on amazon. I had the parts lying about so I figured why not. :)

plazma

The solution to your problem is a telescoping monopod.
Google it.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
The solution to your problem is a telescoping monopod.
Google it.
I think a telescoping monopod is useful for long or heavy lenses but I cant see it being particularly useful for a P&S.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I used this recently for my night time panoramic shots, I call it waslapod :p
waslapod.jpg

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I used this recently for my night time panoramic shots, I call it waslapod :p
waslapod.jpg

Lol. I was using the same thing this afternoon to do a panorama of a golf course.

The pano mode on my p&s takes some of the challange out of it though.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
The pano mode on most p&s and bridge cameras are very nice because it all does is help you take the shots with the right amount of overlap to stitch it together at a later time.

Not Kodaks - three shots limit and your output will me 5megapixel. The stitching resembles a bad copy and paste job in MS paint. I therefor mostly take shots I intend to stitch in on of the PASM modes...

Calico182

Expert Member
I have a SLIK Mini in a compartment in my camera bag all the time

4906752100714.gif

200mm/320g

Very useful

BobJones

Expert Member
Street price for Manfrotto 055XPPRO

I've been offered a "new" Manfrotto 055XPPRO for R2,100 (Weather damaged packaging).

Anyone know what the street price on this is?

I know its a bit heavy (2.4kg), but I need something that will stand up to battery by 4yr olds running around.