to upgrade now or wait?

impete

I am entitled to upgrade to a new phone now or else might wait till when my contract ends in November. I am considering changing service providers and so the wait is probably a better idea except if there is a good phone/deal now. Is there anything exciting coming in the next 4 months that is worth waiting for? I have a S4 at the moment and want to stay with an Android phone. The logical upgrade is the S6 but any other suggestions as to what is currently out there or is in the pipeline in the next 4 months? Thanks!

gelid

I'd grab a LG G4 now unless ending the contract now is expensive

SCHUMI-4-EVA

Expert Member
Another plus one to the G4. I personally want to go for the Sony Z3 on my coming upgrade but if that phone didn't exist I'd probably go for the G4 out of the current stock. And there's nothing interesting on the horizon.

Mark.K

I'm in a similar position but think I'll wait for the note 5

Mets

I'm waiting - I've had at least 3 calls from Cell C offering me the S6, G4, P8 etc. Nope - I'd rather wait. Having a Note 3 at the moment, I don't feel like I'm missing out on much. Note 5 MIGHT be a worthy candidate, but then it must support external storage. Other than this prospect there isn't a lot that gets me excited. Maybe the new Nexus (will have to buy cash) or the rumored LG G-Pro 3. It looks like many people are underwhelmed by the latest batch top notch smartphones.

Roxi_B4b3

I'm also in the exact same position - also need to upgrade from an S4. I looked at all of the phones, and nothing really grabbed my attention. I did like LG and Sony, but not enough to actually go for it. My husband has the S6, and I'm notorious for not wanting the same as someone I know :eek:. I have decided to wait until the new Nexus 5 is released - it looks really interesting. It is strongly rumored that Huawei and LG will both make a version of the Nexus 5

kamikazi

Also waiting for the Nexus 5. The Motorola X Style also looks like a nice option if you want to pay cash. I was very keen on the G4, but people don't seem happy with the Snapdragon 808 mated to a QHD display and I'm a bit disappointed how early LG has left G3 users out to dry with firmware updates.

I've gone onto prepaid after having a Cell C contract and the monthly savings are quite nice if most of your comms go over Wi-Fi and if you don't phone much.

A

arr0w

I wish Motorola was available via the networks. I am very tempted by the Moto X style.

My advice to you is go : huawei, samsung, lg or Apple

Wait for the Note 5 if it is within your budget, these phones are becoming more expensive each year.

Stay away from Sony, they are having software issues and over heating problems. All cameras on flagship Sony handsets seem to over heat and cause issues. Sony's call centre is apparently based in Cairo and have limited local support.

So yea go Note 5,it will probably have a better battery than the S6.

SCHUMI-4-EVA

Expert Member
Also waiting for the Nexus 5. The Motorola X Style also looks like a nice option if you want to pay cash. I was very keen on the G4, but people don't seem happy with the Snapdragon 808 mated to a QHD display and I'm a bit disappointed how early LG has left G3 users out to dry with firmware updates.

I've gone onto prepaid after having a Cell C contract and the monthly savings are quite nice if most of your comms go over Wi-Fi and if you don't phone much.
It's not so much the 808 that's the issue as it is the Adreno 418 graphics chip it comes with, that's the thing that just can't cut qHD. The 808 was the best they could do given then 810 is a STEAMING (pun intended) pile of crap, and not something I would ever want in the South African summer. I wish HTC and Sony had also gone with the 808 on their new phones, instead of the 810.

kamikazi

It's not so much the 808 that's the issue as it is the Adreno 418 graphics chip it comes with, that's the thing that just can't cut qHD. The 808 was the best they could do given then 810 is a STEAMING (pun intended) pile of crap, and not something I would ever want in the South African summer. I wish HTC and Sony had also gone with the 808 on their new phones, instead of the 810.
Indeed, that is more the case. HTC and Sony would have been well served by the 808 with their 1080P displays.

Charly

I'm in a similar position but think I'll wait for the note 5
I plan on doing the exact same. Samsung is going to announce it on the 13th and then it'll launch a few days later.

Does anyone know how much longer we have to wait in SA to get newly released (Samsung) phones on contract vs the rest of the world?

Would I have to wait until the beginning of the next month (when they release that pamphlet that says all the contracts) that MTN gets the Note 5 before I can get it or can I go in mid-month and ask for an upgrade to the Note 5?

What would you guys say you think it's gonna cost? If I can't afford it then I'm going to go for the Note 4 since it'll probably be dirt cheap on contract.

Mark.K

I was tempted to get the LG g4 but see the battery life is not great. I'm guessing we will get the phone in Sept sometime the note 5. Had a note 3 and it was a solid phone