Toll fees slashed

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
http://www.iol.co.za/business/budget/toll-fees-slashed-1.1240343

Continued pressure from Gauteng motorists has paid off: toll fees for the improved freeways have been slashed and the National Treasury will be paying off R5.75 billion of the debt incurred in building them.

Tolls will start being levied from 30 April and transport minister Sbu Ndebele warned that compliance would be enforced through the promulgation of new laws.

Finance minister Pravin Gordhan on Wednesday told journalists ahead of the national budget being tabled before parliament that this was not necessarily the model that would be followed with future infrastructure projects but said that the government had learned lessons from the extremely negative public reaction.

Ndebele acknowledged that Gauteng motorists’ demands were “not unreasonable” but that it was not possible for national government to have picked up the entire R20 billion tab for the upgrade of the road network.

Gordhan said that the national government’s direct contribution to the costs and the cutting of toll fees showed that it was “extremely sensitive” to the concerns that had arisen about how much motorists were going to have to pay to use the 185km network.

However he warned that there would be no deviation from the user pays principle, saying that nothing can be provided – except to the poorest – without some contribution from the user.
Toll plan Gauteng

A toll gate on the N1 North just before the Beyers Naude offramp in Gauteng. Photo: Dumisani Sibeko

Independent Newspapers

Vehicles with e-tags will pay 30c per kilometre, down from 66c previously, motorcycles will pay 20c per kilometre and non-articulated and articulated trucks would pay 75c and R1.51 per kilometre respectively.

An important concession for regular road users is that their monthly tolls will be capped at R550 a month and here will be a 15% discount in the rates after their toll fees reach R400.

Heavy vehicles will qualify for a 20 percent discount if they use the roads at certain times. This will also help avoid congestion.

Taxis and other public transport operators will be exempt from toll fees.

Gordhan also said that the Gauteng provincial government would upgrade the R55 and R101 provincial roads to provide alternatives to the tolled roads and that there would be a continued investment in other forms of public transport.

The SA National Roads Agency (Sanral) will be left with a total debt of R59 billion and, according to a statement released at the press conference, “to ensure sustainability, the minister of transport will table the necessary legislation to provide Sanral with enforcement powers for tolling.” - Political Bureau

haha, sorry SANRAL and Mr. Gordhan, but I am still not buying one of your stupid little e-tag devices. And I am not paying your stupid toll fees either! At least, not until there is a commission appointed to find out what happened to all our Fuel Levy taxes and who was behind this disatrous mess in the first place. When I see that person being held responsible, then I might consider paying your "bribe money".

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
There's still no indication about how much funding was provided by the fuel levy. Why do they keep dodging this? And I still don't see why taxis are exempt. Hope Cosatu follows through with the promise to protest until it is scrapped altogether.

Devill

Damned
There's still no indication about how much funding was provided by the fuel levy. Why do they keep dodging this? And I still don't see why taxis are exempt. Hope Cosatu follows through with the promise to protest until it is scrapped altogether.

Because being found with your fingers in the cookie jar is not nice ....

Someone is again bleeding the SA public dry and the saddest thing is they will ten to one succeed as South africans in general are not good at sticking together.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Are these guys serious?

Pressure has paid off?

You guys haven't seen pressure yet.. the toll still exists, and that is unacceptable to the majority of road users in Gauteng.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Higher levies to push up fuel price

Here's the kicker:
Cape Town - The general fuel levy will increase by 20 cents a litre of petrol and diesel from April 4, Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan announced in his new budget on Wednesday.

An increase in the Road Accident Fund levy will add a further 8c to the price of a litre of fuel, he said.
http://www.fin24.com/Budget/Budget-2012/Higher-levies-to-push-up-fuel-price-20120222

I totally expected this. Lower the toll fee, but increase the fuel levy. It's sad when these sorts of tactics no longer come as a surprise.

BBSA

Honorary Master
according to a statement released at the press conference, “to ensure sustainability, the minister of transport will table the necessary legislation to provide Sanral with enforcement powers for tolling.”

This is not good, they going to bully motorist.

Musiclover08

SANRAL and Mr. Gordhan almong with the whole ANC can go and get ****ed for all I care. I will not be paying for tolls, especially when you have the cheek to raise the fuel levy by 20c per litre and STILL tell me that I have to fund the toll roads! March 7th is earmarked for a countrywide strike and I pray that EVERYONE strikes on that day and brings the whole country to a massive halt. I will be joining by simply not being on the roads. Enforce the tolling and I guarantee that you will see riots this year. There is only so much you can tighten and reduce before it becomes illogical and unsustainable. I am interested to hear what opposition parties and unions will say, I bet you that they can organise strkies for the whole of March. I'd like to see how SANRAL will enforce the tolling process, stop every car.....

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
They want to toll me and increase the fuel levy?

Not to mention food prices will now go up.

**** them.

I think I may just march.

Type RSA

Expert Member
I still refuse to pay a cent. I did not ask them to "better" the highways!!

Devill

Damned
Ahhhhh this is how they are planning to create 1 million jobs. Appointing manual labourers to stop every car on the N1....

:D:D:D

R13...

Honorary Master
I wonder the tolls will impact on Gauteng's economy because people from other provinces will avoid going there unless they absolutely have to. I won't be spending so many weekends in GP no more.

Sly21C

Expert Member
I heard from an independent economist (his name was something Botha) on Talk 702 yesterday that increasing fuel levies will be more disastrous for the average citizen than the toll fees. Increasing fuel levies will result in inflationary pressures which means higher food prices, higher petrol costs, higher electricity, etc.

One way or the other we as tax payers MUST pay for the recently upgraded highway roads, the debate is how we pay.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
I heard from an independent economist (his name was something Botha) on Talk 702 yesterday that increasing fuel levies will be more disastrous for the average citizen than the toll fees. Increasing fuel levies will result in inflationary pressures which means higher food prices, higher petrol costs, higher electricity, etc.

One way or the other we as tax payers MUST pay for the recently upgraded highway roads, the debate is how we pay.

You do know the trucks pay tolls as well right? They also pay much than passenger cars.

BBSA

Honorary Master

The toll fees will do the same, I think SANRAL sponsored him to say that.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
We were meant to pay via the fuel levy, but to date there is absolutely bugger all information about how much of the project was funded through this. Your buds over at the ANC seem to be keeping it a closely guarded secret.

grok

Honorary Master
Ndebele acknowledged that Gauteng motorists’ demands were “not unreasonable” but that it was not possible for national government to have picked up the entire R20 billion tab for the upgrade of the road network.

It would have been possible had they used the fuel levy as intended instead of spending R10+ billion on the toll system alone.

However he warned that there would be no deviation from the user pays principle, saying that nothing can be provided – except to the poorest – without some contribution from the user.

The poorest shouldn't have cars on the road (else they're not the poorest), but that's why taxi's were declared exempt, not?

Reason why I'm still going to continue with my civil disobedience ..

A taxi is a private business not public transport, plus they don't pay tax in the first place to they shouldn't be exempt.

We in Gauteng are going to get tolled plus we get an increase in fuel levy. How is that not double tax?