Top 10 programming languages for 2016

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
What exactly is wrong with providing product support? We get to fix bugs that "action adventure sports" devs left in the code while screwing around and testing out the waters outside their comfort zones.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
What exactly is wrong with providing product support? We get to fix bugs that "action adventure sports" devs left in the code while screwing around and testing out the waters outside their comfort zones.

Ever noticed how close you are sitting to the door?

cguy

Executive Member
Are engineers the new experts in everything?

In the US the term "engineer" is often used for software engineers too, often as a synonym to "non-managers" in a technical company. I think TIOBE is Dutch, but it wouldn't surprise me if they follow suit.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Ever noticed how close you are sitting to the door?

I sit next to the window, right on the other side of the room from where the door is. It is much harder to try and figure out where the action adventure sports devs screwed up while you have clients that are annoyed and then it is not just a case of finding the problem and fixing it - you need to fix the unit tests, create a hotfix, push the changes into all relevant code bases and update the required documentation.

So no, it is not as glamorous as fancy adventure camp action sport devs playing around with new ways of getting things done and screwing the rest up, but it keeps things running and customers happy.

semaphore

Honorary Master
I sit next to the window, right on the other side of the room from where the door is. It is much harder to try and figure out where the action adventure sports devs screwed up while you have clients that are annoyed and then it is not just a case of finding the problem and fixing it - you need to fix the unit tests, create a hotfix, push the changes into all relevant code bases and update the required documentation.

So no, it is not as glamorous as fancy adventure camp action sport devs playing around with new ways of getting things done and screwing the rest up, but it keeps things running and customers happy.

Perhaps you need to re-evaluate your developers. They sound pretty subpar.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I have gone through exercises like that at two companies in my career so far, the problem is not the developers, it is when a completely rewritten system is rolled out and users are moved onto it. As the solution matures it becomes more stable, thanks to maintenance developers.

The point I am trying to make is that while you need to use modern tools and processes, you should allow what is created to mature and not constantly try out funky new things.

semaphore

Honorary Master
I have gone through exercises like that at two companies in my career so far, the problem is not the developers, it is when a completely rewritten system is rolled out and users are moved onto it. As the solution matures it becomes more stable, thanks to maintenance developers.

The point I am trying to make is that while you need to use modern tools and processes, you should allow what is created to mature and not constantly try out funky new things.

So you're a maintenance developer ? :erm:

konfab

Honorary Master
Take away bash and the world will stop working.

Shell scripting is probably the most important language that is not on the list.

As for tools, I am happiest with vim plus a few shell scripts.

brucem

This list is so rigged - we all know Turbo Pascal 6.0 belongs up there...

aleksandar

And?
Being maintenance developer can be one of most frustrating and rewarding jobs.
Actually maintenance is bad expression since in most cases you are adding new functionality and you are trying to extend life and ROI of application that is out there.
Personally one of most frustrating bits is when people do not understand legacy systems and technologies used and simply decide that using latest XYZ technology and RTY language will somehow magically solve all the problems.
This is usually followed with "We need to rewrite all this and it will be done in a 3/6/12 months".
Well it does not work like that.
Regarding mine is bigger than yours, well use one that suits most for the given job and you are comfortable with it (still assuming that it is suitable tool).
Look at c\c++, its death was predicted for years now however with new language features added in c++[11,14,17] and advancement of standard libraries it will die slow and painful death for the next 50 years :)

I think I took this thread bit too seriously....

Last edited:

CamiKaze

Honorary Master

And?
Being maintenance developer can be one of most frustrating and rewarding jobs.
Actually maintenance is bad expression since in most cases you are adding new functionality and you are trying to extend life and ROI of application that is out there.
Personally one of most frustrating bits is when people do not understand legacy systems and technologies used and simply decide that using latest XYZ technology and RTY language will somehow magically solve all the problems.
This is usually followed with "We need to rewrite all this and it will be done in a 3/6/12 months".
Well it does not work like that.
Regarding mine is bigger than yours, well use one that suits most for the given job and you are comfortable with it (still assuming that it is suitable tool).
Look at c\c++, its death was predicted for years now however with new language features added in c++[11,14,17] and advancement of standard libraries it will die slow and painful death for the next 50 years :)

I think I took this thread bit too seriously....

Yeah I'm actually with Aleks on this one.

Anyone can develop something new in a new language from the ground up but your skill set really comes into play when you have to fix some legacy code or some screw up that some "hotshot" developed.

You are also sometimes faced with having to replace old rubbish code with something new than can also be considered bleeding edge so I'm not sure what's wrong with being a maintenance developer...

It takes someone with experience to understand what to use, and how to use the technology when reading over someone else's code.

FYI, I am not a "maintenance" developer but I have fixed the code of others and replaced rubbish with much better code.
I develop solutions in C#, JAVA, ABAP and C for my company.

Thor

Honorary Master
Javascript almost a the bottom... for web development JavaScript should be #1

Frontend Angular ( JavaScript )
Normal JavaScript
Backend NodeJS ( JavaScript )

Why on earth would you want to learn anything else?

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Javascript almost a the bottom... for web development JavaScript should be #1

Frontend Angular ( JavaScript )
Normal JavaScript
Backend NodeJS ( JavaScript )

Why on earth would you want to learn anything else?

Can you name all the JS frameworks from the top of your head? :D