Top 10 programming languages for 2016

semaphore

Honorary Master
No no, we have Go, Rust, C, C++ and Python for that. Java is for people who haven't heard of these or got in bed with IBM at some stage and just can't get out of the pit of hell they find themselves in right now :p

Shurrup. :( I'll make you peer review my code for your sins.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
The reason Java developers wear glasses is because they don't C#

Seriously, what platform do you need to run on that is not Windows?

xera

Expert Member
Don't look at me. I loath the idea of going back to C# one day

Why?

I love the C# syntax and framework and support...

But yeah haven't had much luck with it on Linux or OSX...

recre8

C# is for grown-ups where as Java is almost the same but more focused at freetards.

+1000
Sorry, but did Java development for a company a while ago and it sucks compared to C#. The company is pretty much stuck using Java now because of the immense amount of effort in building the code base.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
C# is also platform independent and MSIL runs faster through the .NET VM than Java on the JRE.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Why?

I love the C# syntax and framework and support...

But yeah haven't had much luck with it on Linux or OSX...

I've been coding C# ever since I started uni in 2005... I'm a bit over it :p

After you use something like Go, C# and Java feel "heavy" and a bit "outdated". It's the best I can explain it.

xera

Expert Member
I've been coding C# ever since I started uni in 2005... I'm a bit over it :p

After you use something like Go, C# and Java feel "heavy" and a bit "outdated". It's the best I can explain it.

How does Go compare to Python? Will it last? Will there be that massive chasm between new versions like with Python 2&3?

And my concern with all these new languages, is that C# has been tested thoroughly, and is a good mature language... But look at the likes of Swift etc, where they release v1 and v2 in XCode and it's a half baked project.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I did C++/Cobol/VB/x86 ASM/Java at Tech from 2000 to 2005 - using a multitude of IDEs and tools. Started working in June 2002 using the freshly release Visual Studio .NET with framework 1.0 and I never looked back. Everything I need is in VS, much better than any of the other dev tools and environments I used while at Tech.

xera

Expert Member
I did C++/Cobol/VB/x86 ASM/Java at Tech from 2000 to 2005 - using a multitude of IDEs and tools. Started working in June 2002 using the freshly release Visual Studio .NET with framework 1.0 and I never looked back. Everything I need is in VS, much better than any of the other dev tools and environments I used while at Tech.

Indeed. What IDE is better than Visual Studio? I really need to know, because IMO it is king.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
The only IDE better than Visual Studio is the next version of Visual Studio.... which is still being developed..... using the current Visual Studio.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I used ReSharper for a year or so back when we were still in VS2013, but since going 2015 I ditched it.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
How does Go compare to Python? Will it last? Will there be that massive chasm between new versions like with Python 2&3?

And my concern with all these new languages, is that C# has been tested thoroughly, and is a good mature language... But look at the likes of Swift etc, where they release v1 and v2 in XCode and it's a half baked project.

Python 2 vs. 3 is a special case with regards to backwards compatibility

I've said this before: as much as I like Python (used it for +- 4 years on previous project) it basically has no place in any serious system these days. It is slow (pypy can make it faster) and the tab and space indentation is silly for starters. Anybody recommending Python for a new project is most likely stuck in his comfort zone /flamesuit on

Go's IDE support hasn't been great in the past, but these days sublime, vi, intellij etc. has great support. (IntelliJ is the shiznit).

Not that you need an IDE for Go. The tools it comes with sorts out your formatting and linting anyway. IDE is just a convenience (quick code switching, intellisense etc)

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Comfort zone is what you want when you are making a living. This is not action adventure sports we are talking about, this is creating stable software that will be used globally to generate revenue.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Comfort zone is what you want when you are making a living. This is not action adventure sports we are talking about, this is creating stable software that will be used globally to generate revenue.

:wtf:

Devs not willing to test the waters outside their comfort zones are the ones you push to the prod support team