Top 10 things which make programmers unhappy

rrh

Expert Member
Problem solving is their major complaint ?

April Fools Day was a couple of weeks back ...

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
How can time pressure not be first by miles?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Run these same questions as a poll on MyBroadband. I will appreciate to see how our market respond.

krycor

Honorary Master
This explains why I can't find good developers.. these issues are standard things you get past. If you can't you shouldn't be a developer!

ROFL at the 1st few .. like most of these issues are self inflicted by the developer him/herself. The only one I see valid is the peers suck.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
This explains why I can't find good developers.. these issues are standard things you get past. If you can't you shouldn't be a developer!

ROFL at the 1st few .. like most of these issues are self inflicted by the developer him/herself. The only one I see valid is the peers suck.
Time pressure makes most of the business world tick. How must developers just get past it?

Urist

Expert Member
#1 for me is not being able to sleep, and when I sleep I dream about the problems.

cguy

Executive Member
How can time pressure not be first by miles?
I don't mind time pressure at all (well, at least when it's not due to someone f#^%ing up). I find this to be among the best times, when things get done and a good team works best together.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I don't mind time pressure at all (well, at least when it's not due to someone f#^%ing up). I find this to be among the best times, when things get done and a good team works best together.
I wasn't trying to imply that it should be a constant cause of unhappiness. In general, a programmer shouldn't be unhappy unless they really hate their situation. But when unhappiness is being caused, I would guess that it's usually due to time pressure.

krycor

Honorary Master
Time pressure makes most of the business world tick. How must developers just get past it?
Time management. I'm not saying this is not something which one needs to fret about but not expecting time pressure to be an issue is unrealistic IT. If you logging time in your organization, even rudimentary tracking of project time.. it indicates that time is a cost. The only time I've seen time not being a factor for a development project was late 1990s and then those firms are no more.

Time is ALWAYS an issue.. yes. You have project managers, dev managers, project division into sub task, resource vs cost(time) adjustments etc to aid managing time. The only time this is not the case is when it's internal products but even there these, untracked are costly and exceptionally unproductive.

Getting past it? Developers don't get past it.. they learn to use/manage their time more efficiently in numerous ways (I can go into detail on this if you want) in addition to learning to subdivide & estimate projects such that they are able to raise the flag early such that business is able to re-adjust. Or just adjust use the slack time.

And even if you a pro with all the skills.. business and poor sales people throw the development teams under bus often via over committing, not kicking off projects in time or arranging resources for the project till too late.i could go on and on about this..

Anyway the point is this.. even in the best teams, every so often customer expectations are unreasonable and in the end the best case is that customer is told it's unreasonable & likely to fail.. and the dev staff try their best to meet the deadline. So no.. I don't think it's something a developer should not expect.. it will be kept to a minimum.. but unexpected hell no

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
If you are a developer and the first 8 things apply to you, then you simply suck at your job and I am sure your co-workers and your bosses are even more unhappy :whistling:

With regards to personal problems: Unless you are in a coma, there is no reason to have your wife phone in if you are not well (the same also applies when your wife comes to work wants to discuss your latest KPA review)

krycor

Honorary Master
Summary:

BSA, PM, Dev Manager, Team lead in most organizations are responsible for ensuring you get fair time for completion and tracking of tasks.

If all your projects suffer from poor allocation it means these and perhaps business & sales has issues. If it's on the business & sales side you have two choices.. try and fix it (hardcore, like pain) or leave.

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
If all your projects suffer from poor allocation it means these and perhaps business & sales has issues. If it's on the business & sales side you have two choices.. try and fix it (hardcore, like pain) or leave.
My world... ugh

Vio

Expert Member
Here's my list:
1) Incompetent weak managers which can not lead, and make bad decisions.
2) Mundane or repetitive work.
3) Bad code quality / Poor planning.
4) Poor / No QA department.
5) Time pressures.