Top programming languages of 2016

freddster

Expert Member
So what would be the best to start off with, "C" ?
Starting off is usually about concepts and fundamentals. Its mostly the same over most of the programming languages, looping, case statements , data types , arithmetics object orientation etc ... after that its generics, lambda etc.
Depends on what you want to go into. Technical stuff like robotics etc C, C++, yes. Corporate "enter the details of your financial transaction here", Java, C#...
web specific - python? java ee, though java language is used all over on the back end

Hackson

No. Go for whatever is on the rise. Swift, R or Go. Why? Those are getting exponential growth and the devs aren't fussy about basic like with C, Java & C++.

dadecoza

Expert Member
Perl is 17th :( . Although I have moved to Python I still like to use Perl for the odd text processing script.

Thor

Honorary Master
Hey PHP kwel

===

What do you need to run GO?

What is a GO enviroment like?

greggpb

Expert Member
I switched from c++ > C# -> python over the past 25 years, Python is nice as it works everwhere(almost) and can do system as well as web programming although the web frameworks can be a pain, no to write but to host.

martin

Expert Member
There's unfortunately no one right answer, just a range a of varying (and very likely valid) opinions. I recommend TypeScript these days. TypeScript is a superset of JavaScript - you can think of it as a sort of 'stricter' or more structured take on the JavaScript language. Why? There are lots of great courses available online and some of them are interactive too, meaning you don't need to download or install anything to get started. Added to that, the whole JavaScript eco system is constantly gaining popularity, especially with the rise of Node (don't worry about Node just yet though, focus on learning the language first).

If you're feeling a little more adventurous you could of course just start with plain JavaScript first (which also has tons of great resources) and move on to TypeScipt later if you want to. I'd be just be more careful if opting to learn plain JavaScript first. Untyped languages have their charms but can lead to bad habits if you don't ensure that you enforce good coding habits.

If that doesn't strike your fancy, Python is another language I'd recommend you look at.

Last edited:

konfab

Honorary Master
But the education dept wants to use Delphi instead of Java. :erm:

No sane person would have made that decision.