Torrents being throttled?

Gnome

Executive Member
Encrypted torrents are damn hard if not impossible to identify never mind throttle. Easy way to do it is to limit session connections.
Not true for a number of reasons. Torrents typically use ephemeral ports & UDP. Both easily identifiable and require nearly no skill to de-prioritize. But because the way around that is port 443 with TCP traffic most ISPs have the capacity to throttle based on other factors. Well known IPs get priority for example (ie. Google, Microsoft, CDNs, etc.) Low ranked IPs will get throttled sooner than higher ranked IP. And a lot of bandwidth over a low rank IP will get throttled sooner. A really simple IP ranking system is based purely on a block list & number of peers connecting to that IP. The more peers it has the more likely that IP has high value for all your customers. Block list is for potential problem IPs like usenet which would still have a lot of peers but generally degrades the network disproportionately.

netstrider

Expert Member
Did you pay your sabc license?
It makes no difference on Qbittorrent. Best torrent client in the world by the way. My upload is 0 and I get between 5 and 12MiB/s down on LTE. Fibre soon to be installed.

[Mebibytes]

Yuu

Executive Member
I have 3 LTE sims with different providers. Vodacom, Telkom and MTN and I'm getting very slow download speeds on torrents with all of them. Even with torrents with over 10k seeds. Barely ever goes above 50KB/s.

Is there throttling going on or is there some problem right now with international speeds?

I'm using qBittorrent and havent had problems with it before.
On MTN Supersonic FLTE Uncapped. No issues this week apart from slight slowdowns but quickly fixes itself. Torrents reach upto 12MB/s daytime and upto 28MB/s at night.

ActivateD

Expert Member
I tunnel all my torrent data via VPN and with this setup I am still getting 13mb/s download speeds.

Forum Reader

So it looks like I just have poor speeds. You'd think I'm living in the bush but I'm less than 1km from the Sandton CBD on Rivonia Rd.

Also tried Rain 5G (the premium R1k pm package) for a couple weeks in January and that was terrible. Could get 60Mbps half the time and 0Mbps the other half so I cancelled that.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Not true for a number of reasons. Torrents typically use ephemeral ports & UDP. Both easily identifiable and require nearly no skill to de-prioritize. But because the way around that is port 443 with TCP traffic most ISPs have the capacity to throttle based on other factors. Well known IPs get priority for example (ie. Google, Microsoft, CDNs, etc.) Low ranked IPs will get throttled sooner than higher ranked IP. And a lot of bandwidth over a low rank IP will get throttled sooner. A really simple IP ranking system is based purely on a block list & number of peers connecting to that IP. The more peers it has the more likely that IP has high value for all your customers. Block list is for potential problem IPs like usenet which would still have a lot of peers but generally degrades the network disproportionately.
That is easy! What could go wrong?

agentrfr

Expert Member
but @OP, what happens if you try a private vpn? I have found that down in capetown rain is terribad unless you use port 443. I've got a mate there that cant even watch twitch streams unless he uses a vpn to get it to work

Gnome

Executive Member
That is easy! What could go wrong?
Well at the very least the UDP & Ephemeral ports I would think every single ISP does. Even when the payload is encrypted the port and protocol is plain text.

So unless you are using TCP and 443 they can and will throttle you.

Reactions: Yuu

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Well at the very least the UDP & Ephemeral ports I would think every single ISP does. Even when the payload is encrypted the port and protocol is plain text.

So unless you are using TCP and 443 they can and will throttle you.
That would require something like allot or sandvine which is not cheap. Only a handful of the bigger ones use those. The guys whose name rhymes with pain have that great big firewall from China.

Its expensive, not easy to scale, difficult and not simplistic. Its not easy to do with no skill as you mentioned. If I'm wrong slap my backside and call me Sally and get yourself a job at an ISP.

Reactions: Yuu

deweyzeph

Executive Member
That would require something like allot or sandvine which is not cheap. Only a handful of the bigger ones use those. The guys whose name rhymes with pain have that great big firewall from China.

Its expensive, not easy to scale, difficult and not simplistic. Its not easy to do with no skill as you mentioned. If I'm wrong slap my backside and call me Sally and get yourself a job at an ISP.

I'm running an Ubiquiti Dreammachine Pro at home now with deep packet inspection (DPI) and it kills P2P torrenting dead in its tracks. So I'm pretty sure that ISPs can do this as well if they want on a larger scale.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
I'm running an Ubiquiti Dreammachine Pro at home now with deep packet inspection (DPI) and it kills P2P torrenting dead in its tracks. So I'm pretty sure that ISPs can do this as well if they want on a larger scale.
If UBNT makes one that works a line rate of 10 Gb/s then they will sell allot. :ROFL: