Toyota Etios query

daveza

Honorary Master
I've had three Toyota Yaris' but traded the last one in for a new Etios.

If I'm cruising and turn on the air-con it feels like I just pulled the handbrake up two clicks. Turn it off and it's smooth riding again.

Just checking if this is normal as I never experienced it with the Yaris.

thechamp

Honorary Master
I've had three Toyota Yaris' but traded the last one in for a new Etios.

If I'm cruising and turn on the air-con it feels like I just pulled the handbrake up two clicks. Turn it off and it's smooth riding again.

Just checking if this is normal as I never experienced it with the Yaris.
Which Yaris were you driving, 1.0l or 1.3? The 1.3 is fairly powerful and its easy to miss the aircon engaging. My car does have a noticeable hesitation when the aircon is on especially when there's a demand for power, I can feel the aircon switching off and the extra kilowatts coming back.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Pretty normal.

Aircon steals about 6hp if I remember correctly.

On an already horse power compromised engine that's a big chunk to lose.

thechamp

Honorary Master
What is the steering system on the Etios? the Yaris had a electric power steering which I think eliminates the load on the engine compared to a hydraulic steering which is driven by the auxiliary belt off the engine.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I suppose it differs from car to car, but I too notice a discernible difference in the engine when the climate control is on compared to when it is off. Especially in Eco mode. When the aircon is on, soon as you put your foot down when you pull away and the revs reaches 2.5 - 3000 revs, you can feel it hesitate. It is almost as if power delivery falls flat or the engine runs out of breath. As a passenger you wont notice it, but as with when you switch driving modes (Sport down to Eco) you can feel that change in the engine happening when you are the one driving.

When the aircon is off the car pulls fine still after that rev range. I suppose it is only in cars with really big engines where you will not feel the difference compared to when the aircon is on or off.

Last edited:
Yaris has eletric motor for the AC, the ETOSS runs the AC from the belt of the engine which eats up the power.

I have driven 1.0L yaris, has no power loss with AC on.

Cr419

Executive Member
Yaris has eletric motor for the AC, the ETOSS runs the AC from the belt of the engine which eats up the power.

I have driven 1.0L yaris, has no power loss with AC on.
On our 1 litre up you also don't feel a pronounced difference when putting the AC on. On the old 9N3 (facelift model, not sure of code), it was as if you just lost a crap load of power on the car.

daveza

Honorary Master
So what are the effects apart from the drop in performance - any difference in fuel consumption when using the air-con ?

It just feels like the engine needs to work harder, how would this affect the engine say from a Cape Town to Jhb trip with air-con on all the way ?

thechamp

Honorary Master
So what are the effects apart from the drop in performance - any difference in fuel consumption when using the air-con ?

It just feels like the engine needs to work harder, how would this affect the engine say from a Cape Town to Jhb trip with air-con on all the way ?
Fuel consumption will increase slightly.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender

Any aircon will put more strain on your engine and make it work harder. Even in big engines this will be the case, though the actual physical difference wont be as noticable to you as the driver, it will show in your fuel consumption.

I have read about cars with electric aircons, but I am sure they too will use more fuel as the power must still come from the engine, be it with a belt that turns the compressor, or electricity from the alternator. I can just imagine that with electric aircons the effect of what it has on the engine power response that you might notice as the driver will be less. Perhaps I am completely wrong.

If you are on the highway in the city or on the open road to nowhere, then the fuel consumption increase due to the aircon should be less as the car has picked up momentum already and stays at a relatively constant speed compared to in the city where you constantly have to stop and pull away again. That is why they say rather use your aircon when on the highway compared to driving with windows open as the drag caused by open windows could actually have a bigger impact on fuel consumption compared to a aircon that is happily chugging along with a engine that is cruising at highway speeds.

What normally happens on little cars is the aircon kicks out when one pushes the accelerator down, then kicks back in when you ease off again.
Up to 6 KW can be used by the aircon, this is a huge amount of power loss on tiny motors. The throttle position sensor normally controls the ac on of relay.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
What normally happens on little cars is the aircon kicks out when one pushes the accelerator down, then kicks back in when you ease off again.
Up to 6 KW can be used by the aircon, this is a huge amount of power loss on tiny motors. The throttle position sensor normally controls the ac on of relay.
My car has a ECONOMY option for the aircon. Even with that on though you can still feel the loss of power. I guess it is just less.

16tata-bolt13.jpg

Screenshot from 2018-02-14 13-52-40.png

Last edited: