Traffic Cop stopped me this morning

remybfg10k

Expert Member
Told me that i didn't stop at a stop street, yet if i hadn't stopped the ONCOMING car who stopped before me would have smashed into me :rolleyes:

Also while waiting for the oncoming car i saw him and his partner talking to each other, so i then turned and thats when he pulled me over

So he stops me and asks for my drivers etc.

When he asks me for my cellphone number i ask him if its going to be stored on a database, he says he doesn't know, so i said i am not going to give it to him but will provide my work direct and switchboard number.

He wasn't happy about this, clearly irritated i asked him if i could ask him some questions, he replied that i may.

I then asked him why did his collegeau stop 5 cars who supposedly didn't stop and just let them drive off?

He then lost his temper and shouted at me that i am distracting him, i then said to him that he doesn't have to raise his voice and shout at me (especially in front of my 20 month old toddler)

He then immediately went paranoid and asked me if i am recording this conversation (as my cellphone was sitting on my leg)

I said to him what if i was, is it illegal?

He then stormed off to his bakkie and contacted his "switchboard" and informed them that i wouldnt provide my cellphone number and that he is under the suspicion that he was being recorded.

(Which it wasnt unfortunately, he was just so angry and paranoid hehe)

What are my rights regarding this?

P

Picard

I were also caught the other day for not stopping at a stop sign. But in my defense I live in a small town and that stop sign was formerly not there (only recently was it added - There is absolutely no danger whatsoever) and I literally crawled over the line.

Fine R500

I phoned the public prosecutor's office to ask how I should go about requesting a decrease of the fine. A lady said I must come in and just ask the prosecutor. I went in and before I could say anything he asked me for the fine, he took it and said "lets change it to R300" and then he stamped it and off I went.

Last edited by a moderator:

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Give him a bollocks number and tell him 'yes, I'm recording the conversation for my and your protection'.

I always keep a premium-rate cell number handy when some idiot keeps nagging that he/she wants my number...

remybfg10k

Expert Member
Oh its this new demerit cr@p btw, if i pay in 32 days it will be R375 not R700 and 2 demerits off my license.

But why should i pay if i did stop.....

Serqet

Expert Member
Do cops usually ask for a cellphone number when giving a fine? I've never had that happen to me. That sounds odd. WTF did he want your cellphone number for?

You should take this further!

Kilgore_Trout_Redux

Executive Member
He has no right asking for your number as far as I know. This is probably why he got so defensive. I would also query this.

remybfg10k

Expert Member
Well its a new form, i'll scan it and post it on here, anyone from a legal perspective know about this cellphone issue as he even wrote official comments down stating that i wouldnt provide my cellphone?

remybfg10k

Expert Member
If i choose to lodge representation, if it is rejected i have to pay a fee

So i have to pay to defend myself?

Serqet

Expert Member
i still don't think a cellphone number has to be on the fine in order for it to be processed. Surely just having one contact number or landline numbers is sufficient.

Ænema

Holy cr@p I despise traffic cops! I'd rather admit that my mother is a prostitute before I admit that my father a traffic cop!

hxc87x

Expert Member
i really dont see the point in them asking for your number anyway... you can very easily just give them a made up number, or you can change your number (easier on prepaid, obviously)

Ænema

i really dont see the point in them asking for your number anyway... you can very easily just give them a made up number, or you can change your number (easier on prepaid, obviously)

"My number is 555-.......":D

noxibox

Honorary Master
If i choose to lodge representation, if it is rejected i have to pay a fee

So i have to pay to defend myself?
Sounds like the same warped system they use in the UK. It assumes you're guilty and traffic officials never make mistakes, lie, cheat, etc. I would fully expect this to be abused to the limit in South Africa.